Pitt (sticker) v. Syracuse ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Pitt (sticker) v. Cuse ($$)

Pitt at sticker (32,000)
67%
Cuse with scholly (23,000)
33%

Total votes: 24

irish017

Pitt (sticker) v. Syracuse ($$)

Postby irish017 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:58 am

Thoughts?

Visited Syracuse and loved it and can be very content attending there.

However, admitted at Pitt at sticker today and now re-considering.

Syracuse would be $23,500 in tuition while Pitt would be $32,000.

Does the Pitt degree outweight Syracuse and the $9,000 difference?

deadpanic

Re: Pitt (sticker) v. Syracuse ($$)

Postby deadpanic » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:07 pm

What are the stipulations of the Syrcause scholarship?

Would you rather practice in the Pittsburgh area or the Syracuse area?

irish017

Postby irish017 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:34 pm

deadpanic wrote:What are the stipulations of the Syrcause scholarship?

Would you rather practice in the Pittsburgh area or the Syracuse area?

Cuse stipulates that I maintain a 2.8 gpa.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:48 pm

I'd say take Pitt. That's not a bad stipulation, but Pitt has a much stronger home market and dominates it. So, you run the risk of paying more for a Cuse degree if you somehow lose your scholarship, which really negates any advantage the 25-30k in savings Cuse (over three years) would bring.

irish017

Postby irish017 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:51 pm

What percentile is a 2.8?

apper123

Postby apper123 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:22 pm

deadpanic wrote:Would you rather practice in the Pittsburgh area or the Syracuse area?

This is what you need to answer to make this decision.

irish017

Postby irish017 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:51 pm

apper123 wrote:
deadpanic wrote:Would you rather practice in the Pittsburgh area or the Syracuse area?

This is what you need to answer to make this decision.

It seems as though both of these schools have significant numbers of graduates practicing elsewhere.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:14 pm

I'd definitely go with Pitt. The school dominates the market in a decent sized city, the campus is very nice and the area is very livable, and you're only a couple of blocks away from the Carnegie museums, which are pretty nice. 'Cuse definitely has more of a classic college campus and atmosphere, but it doesn't dominate any particular market like Pitt does.

nyjfanjmk

Postby nyjfanjmk » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:35 pm

Syracuse makes me nervous, even though its part of a good university it doesn't have a great reputation. Plus, it's in Syracuse. Pittsburgh is far and away the better place to live for three years (or more).

irish017

Postby irish017 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:20 pm

nyjfanjmk wrote:Syracuse makes me nervous, even though its part of a good university it doesn't have a great reputation. Plus, it's in Syracuse. Pittsburgh is far and away the better place to live for three years (or more).

Everything I have ever seen or read about Cuse says it pretty much exceeds its rank.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:18 pm

irish017 wrote:Everything I have ever seen or read about Cuse says it pretty much exceeds its rank.

From this and your original post, it sounds like you really want to attend Syracuse and you're hoping TLS will back you up. I've stated reasons why I would choose Pitt, but I'm not you - if you feel Syracuse is right for you, then you should go there, enjoy the campus and 3 years of great basketball, and start a successful career in upstate NY. I'm sure Syracuse produces just as many successful, prominent attorneys as Pitt; it just doesn't have the benefits of being located in a major city/market.

irish017

Postby irish017 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:15 pm

Case2L wrote:
irish017 wrote:Everything I have ever seen or read about Cuse says it pretty much exceeds its rank.

From this and your original post, it sounds like you really want to attend Syracuse and you're hoping TLS will back you up. I've stated reasons why I would choose Pitt, but I'm not you - if you feel Syracuse is right for you, then you should go there, enjoy the campus and 3 years of great basketball, and start a successful career in upstate NY. I'm sure Syracuse produces just as many successful, prominent attorneys as Pitt; it just doesn't have the benefits of being located in a major city/market.

Agreed.

I'm in a hell of a tug of war.

Esp since cuse recruited a 5 star big man. :)

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:21 pm

Just to be difficult, I would like to point out Pitt also has a very good basketball program and is going to be very good this year and the next. Getting a lot of long, athletic guys plus some good shooters. We lost almost no one from last years 2nd in the Big East team. We also have a football team, which is going to be good this year, that Syracuse does not have . Actually, they do have a football team. But , for all intents and purposes, they do not.

Pitt!

I do know my girlfriends parents lived in Syracus for several years and really didn't like the area and the snow etc. Pittsburgh weather is no picnic but the city is nice and if you live in one of the neighborhoods near Pitt, like Squirrel Hill or Shadyside then you can definitely get a nice apartment in a nice area for a very fair price.

irish017

Postby irish017 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:25 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Just to be difficult, I would like to point out Pitt also has a very good basketball program and is going to be very good this year and the next. Getting a lot of long, athletic guys plus some good shooters. We lost almost no one from last years 2nd in the Big East team. We also have a football team, which is going to be good this year, that Syracuse does not have . Actually, they do have a football team. But , for all intents and purposes, they do not.

Pitt!

I do know my girlfriends parents lived in Syracus for several years and really didn't like the area and the snow etc. Pittsburgh weather is no picnic but the city is nice and if you live in one of the neighborhoods near Pitt, like Squirrel Hill or Shadyside then you can definitely get a nice apartment in a nice area for a very fair price.

Yep, thanks for the info.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”