Can't Choose: Rutgers-Newark or Michigan State?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Cristin23

Can't Choose: Rutgers-Newark or Michigan State?

Postby Cristin23 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:51 pm

i am having an incredibly difficult time making this decision and here's what I have to consider:

-I have half tuition to Rutgers-Newark and full tuition to Michigan State.
-I know that I ultimately want to live in NJ or at least the East Coast, but I also either want to work for the government or do public interest, not be part of a firm.
-Rutgers is Tier II, Michigan State is Tier III

I've read that both are regional law schools - but does that matter less if you're looking to work for the government? I've gotten so much mixed advice, because it would be great to graduate with less debt, but I ultimately do want to make my way back east...
Would I screw myself over taking the Michigan State deal in terms of job prospects out east or job prospects in general because its a Tier III? Or is this a case of "it doesn't matter where you go but what you do?"

eagles86

Re: Can't Choose: Rutgers-Newark or Michigan State?

Postby eagles86 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:54 pm

Rutgers easily...you;ll get in state tuition after 1L and its not that bad to begin with.

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:58 pm

eagles86 wrote:Rutgers easily...you;ll get in state tuition [strike]after[/strike] 1L and its not that bad to begin with.

Wrong. You get in state all 3 years if you sign a 12 month lease or live in their campus housing apartments.

Cristin23

Postby Cristin23 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:03 pm

Sorry I didn't clarify earlier, but I already have in-state tuition. So my half-tuition is half of the in-state tuition. In total though, factoring in housing, etc., MSU ends up being 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of Rutgers for me.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:21 pm

RU-N easy. For Jersey gov't work 1/2 tuition to the state school is a pretty decent deal.

Whoever advised you to go to Michigan freaking State should no longer be involved in your decision making process.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:30 pm

For NJ PI/gov't work, RU is the obvious choice. Maybe not as cheap as Michigan state, but it's still pretty cheap with a half school and in-state tuition :).

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Cristin23 wrote:i am having an incredibly difficult time making this decision and here's what I have to consider:

-I have half tuition to Rutgers-Newark and full tuition to Michigan State.
-I know that I ultimately want to live in NJ or at least the East Coast, but I also either want to work for the government or do public interest, not be part of a firm.
-Rutgers is Tier II, Michigan State is Tier III

I've read that both are regional law schools - but does that matter less if you're looking to work for the government? I've gotten so much mixed advice, because it would be great to graduate with less debt, but I ultimately do want to make my way back east...
Would I screw myself over taking the Michigan State deal in terms of job prospects out east or job prospects in general because its a Tier III? Or is this a case of "it doesn't matter where you go but what you do?"

They're essentially the same school but different regions. MSU is tier 3, but its not too far off from Rutgers.

But thats irrelevant. They're both regional, local even. If you want to be on the East Coast, you should go to the East Coast school. Rutgers easily.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”