University of St. Thomas-MN w/ $30k or Golden Gate w/ $90k?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

University of St. Thomas-MN w/ $30k
55%
Golden Gate w/ $90k
45%

Total votes: 11

bagosian

Postby bagosian » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:07 pm

Trying to decide between these two schools.

St. Thomas-MN requires good standing (above 2.0gpa) to maintain scholarship of 10k per year, and Golden Gate requires a gpa of above 3.0 (class median is ~2.88).

Any thoughts?

DerrickRose

Re: University of St. Thomas-MN w/ $30k or Golden Gate w/ $90k?

Postby DerrickRose » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:10 pm

That they are both awful TTT's and that unless you are 100% down for doing small law and struggling to pay off student loan debt in Minneapolis or San Francisco that you should retake/reapply.

Sorry to jump on you, but those are the facts.

dvd

Postby dvd » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:19 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bagosian

Postby bagosian » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:55 pm

DerrickRose wrote:That they are both awful TTT's and that unless you are 100% down for doing small law and struggling to pay off student loan debt in Minneapolis or San Francisco that you should retake/reapply.

Sorry to jump on you, but those are the facts.

I considered retaking but I'm not sure it would make much of a different (+/- 3 points, I scored 163 my first time). My GPA (extenuating circumstances) makes it difficult to get into anything in the top 100.

Also, I graduated with no undergrad debt and I will be receiving assistance from my parents (I will have to cover living expenses myself).

dvd wrote:If you are deadset on law school, then either one can be a viable option. Realize, however, that you will not be making a significant amount of money coming out of either school. You will have to work much harder to get interviews and land job offers, but if you are willing to put in the work, then good for you. Both are very regional, but Golden Gate is an absolutely terrible school and has a crap reputation even in SF. St. Thomas is a relatively new school, and places well in Public Interest in Minnesota and the Midwest. Make your own decision, but caveat emptor.

I've read some pretty bad reviews on Golden Gate on this site, and the fact they are a T4 as opposed to St. Thomas being a T3 makes me lean towards St. Thomas. Plus, from what I've read they seem to be quite a good school relative to their ranking. Just thought I'd throw up a poll to get some more information.

Thanks for the info.

Whitters

Postby Whitters » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:51 pm

Have you visited either? I visited St. Thomas, and they have a beautiful new building right downtown Minneapolis and they have an award winning mentoring program. Everyone seemed really happy to be there, and as long as you are ok with their "mission" I think St. Thomas would be a wonderful place to spend three years. Yes, they are a new school, but their reputation is strong for such a new school! Good luck! :D

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:32 pm

Go to St Thomas. SF is a very small and crowded market, filled with snobs with sterling credentials from the east coast. Not worth trying to compete there. Minnesota is probably a better place to start out.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”