Miami vs. Stetson (Sticker $)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Mami or Stetson?

Miami
80%
Stetson
20%

Total votes: 25

riotide

Miami vs. Stetson (Sticker $)

Postby riotide » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:37 pm

I have to make a decision very very soon so I will try to explain my situation and if anyone could offer their advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Here we go...
I got into Stetson almost immediately and after being deferred from Miami I accepted my invitation to attend Stetson Law. Miami would not guarantee getting back to me until April 30th. A couple days ago I was accepted to Miami. I love the Tampa/St. Pete area, and would prefer to practice/live in central Florida over the Miami area. Is Miami Law significantly better to the point where it would be stupid for me to choose Stetson instead considering I will be paying sticker at either one? My family lives in Tampa, and if I go to Stetson I could live with my brother in St. Pete, while also staying close to my family. These factors have me leaning towards Stetson, but I do not want to hurt my future endeavors if Miami would make things better for me.

Any and all insight would be greatly appreciated. I only have until May 5th! :?:

CKuleba

Re: Miami vs. Stetson (Sticker $)

Postby CKuleba » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:42 pm

Hey - I was in the exact same situation as you, except I asked for an extension on my deadline at Stetson so have not had to turn in my deposit. As soon as I got into Miami it was a no brainer for me. I am paying sticker at both, but Miami will offer SUBSTANTIALLY more opportunities after graduation. I visited Stetson before my acceptance into Miami and fell in love with the St. Pete area as well as the Stetson campus. However, given your situation, I still recommend accepting Miami, for the price you will be paying at both, Miami is a far better investment.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:52 pm

If you MUST pay sticker, and I strongly caution this ITE, Miami. Best of luck. With the debts incurred, you're gonna need it.

riotide

Postby riotide » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:54 pm

Thanks for the concern about finances, but luckily I am in a situation where it's not the biggest concern.
What were the deciding factors for you CKuleba?

CKuleba

Postby CKuleba » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:25 pm

Really, if I got into Miami I was going. My family is from South Florida but that really wasn't a factor. I know that I want to live and practice in South Florida so Miami was my first choice. Nevermind the fact that Miami has jumped 22 spots in the rankings the past two years.

riotide

Postby riotide » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:30 am

I should note that I would be paying sticker for both, not only Stetson. If the topic title was misleading to anyone.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:54 am

While I am familiar with quite a few Stetson grads doing extremely well. Miami is the better option all the way around. It's higher tiered. It has more opporutunities for biglaw/midlaw ( i.e. paying off your debt).

However, if you go to UMiami you're going to be stuck there for at least an addtional 5 years. So, if you don't want to live in Miami and really REALLY love the St. Pete/Tampa area than I would go with Stetson (make sure you make it on their mock trial team).

BTW: I love Tampa

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:34 pm

trialjunky wrote:While I am familiar with quite a few Stetson grads doing extremely well. Miami is the better option all the way around. It's higher tiered. It has more opporutunities for biglaw/midlaw ( i.e. paying off your debt).

However, if you go to UMiami you're going to be stuck there for at least an addtional 5 years. So, if you don't want to live in Miami and really REALLY love the St. Pete/Tampa area than I would go with Stetson (make sure you make it on their mock trial team).

BTW: I love Tampa

I really love Tampa too, but paying sticker at Stetson is literally a horrible idea ITE. The traditional provinces of Stetson grads, City Atty., State Atty., small firms, Public Defender etc., are not really hiring because of hiring freezes and the bad economy in general. People below median at even UF are having a horrible time getting jobs. If you went to Stetson, you would have to be tippity top of your class to get a decent job; around median you have no guarantee of even a legal job at all. Even Miami at sticker is pushing it. So please, OP, unless you know someone who can get you a job as soon as you graduate from Stetson, go to Miami.

riotide

Postby riotide » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:14 pm

Hmm, well now I'm leaning towards Miami. Would I likely be stuck in Miami for an extended period of time? I was starting to get the impression that Miami would do well throughout the state. If anyone has any input there that would be great.

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:41 pm

OP, if I were you, I would REALLY check out both schools. Sit in on some classes. Ask about programs that you may be interested in. Check out opportunities and hiring stats at both schools. Other than the fact that they are both law schools in Florida, they are VERY different in culture and have different offerings. Don't just go by the rankings, as some would have you believe.

The culture of a school is very important. Do you need any kind of nurturing? What programs interest you? I am a tax lawyer. I can promise you that, regardless of rankings, if you attend a school that doesn't fit your needs and personality, you probably won't do well. Since doing well is essential for both job skills and hiring, this becomes a very important point.

Last edited by taxguy on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:45 pm

riotide wrote:Hmm, well now I'm leaning towards Miami. Would I likely be stuck in Miami for an extended period of time? I was starting to get the impression that Miami would do well throughout the state. If anyone has any input there that would be great.

Miami and Stetson are very specific in their areas. Steton -- Tampa, St. Pete, Sarasota. Miami -- South Florida. However, I think a UM grad can get a job in Tampa way before a Stetson grad can get a job in South Florida.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”