Cornell vs Illinois $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell vs Illinois $$

Cornell
68%
UIUC w/ $25,000 no-strings scholarship
32%

Total votes: 25

dmcbride

Cornell vs Illinois $$

Postby dmcbride » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:45 pm

Had set on Illinois, was holding off to pay deposit to the last minute in case I get in anywhere else, and of course today I get into Cornell by email. Snail mail will arrive after Illinois's deadline most likely so this is going to be a down-to-the-wire decision situation.

Obviously Cornell is T13 and a lot more prestigious but $75,000 in total scholarship is tough to turn down ITE.

What say lishi?

mazzini

Re: Cornell vs Illinois $$

Postby mazzini » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:49 pm

Maybe if it was a full ride from Illinois there would be a debate but I think it would behoove you to attend Cornell. It's better for your future. 75k isn't enough to offset your potential earning ability with a Cornell Law degree.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:53 pm

OP, if you know for sure what you want to do and that you want to work in Chicago or elsewhere in IL maybe it'd be better to take the scholly. Otherwise, Cornell FTW...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:54 pm

Chicago or somewhere in IL---->Illiinois
Anywhere else---->Cornell

See if you can negotiate for more money from U of I. They have been receptive to many people so far this year.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:Chicago or somewhere in IL---->Illiinois

See if you can negotiate for more money from U of I. They have been receptive to many people so far this year.

I really want Chicago, and if I had this offer I'd take Cornell, and settle with NYC if I had to.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Chicago or somewhere in IL---->Illiinois

I really want Chicago, and if I had this offer I'd take Cornell, and settle with NYC if I had to.

I guess it depends on if "settling" for NYC is an acceptable alternative for OP. It wouldn't be for me. I hate NYC and have no desire to be there, and that's why I turned down my Cornell acceptance.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:40 pm

dmcbride wrote:Had set on Illinois, was holding off to pay deposit to the last minute in case I get in anywhere else, and of course today I get into Cornell by email. Snail mail will arrive after Illinois's deadline most likely so this is going to be a down-to-the-wire decision situation.

Obviously Cornell is T13 and a lot more prestigious but $75,000 in total scholarship is tough to turn down ITE.

What say lishi?

I donno can you handle going to a school outside the t12?

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm

Y'know, I'm a little tortured at times by the fact that I didn't apply to Cornell, if you look at LSN, I probably would have gotten in. BTW, I got the exact same offer from Illinois that you have. (Wait, are you in-state? Because that would make a difference)

But then I think about it, and being debt-averse like I am, I know that I wouldn't have taken Cornell at sticker anyway. Belongs in the "easy for you to say" bin, but still.

If you're in-state I vote Illinois.

Either way you should probably call them up and ask for more money. Especially if you have other offers from peer schools (ND, WUSTL, BU, BC, and the like)

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:13 am

DerrickRose wrote:Y'know, I'm a little tortured at times by the fact that I didn't apply to Cornell, if you look at LSN, I probably would have gotten in. BTW, I got the exact same offer from Illinois that you have. (Wait, are you in-state? Because that would make a difference)

But then I think about it, and being debt-averse like I am, I know that I wouldn't have taken Cornell at sticker anyway. Belongs in the "easy for you to say" bin, but still.

If you're in-state I vote Illinois.

Either way you should probably call them up and ask for more money. Especially if you have other offers from peer schools (ND, WUSTL, BU, BC, and the like)

OP's profile says he's out of state (MA resident).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”