WUSTL vs. Emory?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Washington University in St. Louis vs. Emory?

Poll ended at Thu May 06, 2010 1:34 pm

WUSTL (30k)
28
40%
Emory (60k)
42
60%
 
Total votes: 70

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby stratocophic » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:13 pm

Brdway4212 wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:
Brdway4212 wrote:The admissions dean there had made it sound like they would raise my scholarship given other competitive offers (90k Illinois included)...but came back and said they won't. I'm currently trying to separate my anger about that from my true feelings about the school...hard to do.

This is where I would normally start trolling for Illinois, but outside of having somewhat of a footprint in DC, we place almost no one in the Northeast. So I won't. But if you suddenly fall in love with the Chi....

In response to an earlier comment, stats are 168, 3.5 ivy undergrad. I'm not sure why no BC/ BU.


*Thanks his lucky stars he didn't take TLS'ers advice to reapply*


I think Illinois is pretty much out of the running right now. I went to college in the middle of nowhere...and while I loved it, I can't handle that for another 3 years. Plus I am not used to such a huge school. The whole environment of the campus/ 40,000 people there really overwhelmed me. Did TLS people tell you to reapply last year?
TLS' two favorite bits of advice this year are "retake, reapply" and "ED to UVA."

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:19 pm

Gotta have faith, I didn't realize you went to WUSTL. I'd be interested to hear your personal thoughts on the school, social scene, job market, what things are like in STL, what you're doing this summer, etc.

I still am not sold on your midlaw argument. I'm not saying it is impossible to get midlaw, but I think it is equally if not more difficult. For one thing, it is smaller than big law. There are many graphs showing there is only a small range of first years associates making 70-100k. Also, with big law you are primarily competing against other law students for the jobs. With midlaw, you're going up against other students AND biglaw cast offs who are already trained and have experience. Clearly, those biglaw alums are going to get priority over the freshly minted law grads.

I'm not saying you're wrong, and in most cases I would defer to the law student over my own knowledge (just a lowly 0L). But I am skeptical because this is contrary to everything I have ever heard from anyone on TLS or any students at ASDs.

dk84
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby dk84 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:30 pm

You really trust the opinions/votes of a bunch people who are secretly slash not so secretly hoping that you go to Emory and therefore withdraw from WashU or vice versa? Don't listen to crap other people say, think really hard about what YOU felt and try to figure out your own feelings rather than listening to people gaming the system. But then again, you don't have to listen to my opinion.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:33 pm

dk84 wrote:You really trust the opinions/votes of a bunch people who are secretly slash not so secretly hoping that you go to Emory and therefore withdraw from WashU or vice versa? Don't listen to crap other people say, think really hard about what YOU felt and try to figure out your own feelings rather than listening to people gaming the system. But then again, you don't have to listen to my opinion.


Who the hell are you referring to? Najumobi, strato, and myself are all WUSTL bound next year. Rando is an Emory student, and it sounds like Keep the Faith is a WUSTL 1L. Derrick Rose is going to Illinois and I'm almost positive Rad Law is going to Vanderbilt. JCougar is the only person with anything to gain by OP going to Emory over WUSTL, and he voted WUSTL.

So again, who are you referring to?

dk84
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby dk84 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:35 pm

There are 42 votes. You only have 8 people accounted for. I'm referring to the other 34.

romothesavior wrote:
dk84 wrote:You really trust the opinions/votes of a bunch people who are secretly slash not so secretly hoping that you go to Emory and therefore withdraw from WashU or vice versa? Don't listen to crap other people say, think really hard about what YOU felt and try to figure out your own feelings rather than listening to people gaming the system. But then again, you don't have to listen to my opinion.


Who the hell are you referring to? Najumobi, strato, and myself are all WUSTL bound next year. Rando is an Emory student, and it sounds like Keep the Faith is a WUSTL 1L. Derrick Rose is going to Illinois and I'm almost positive Rad Law is going to Vanderbilt. JCougar is the only person with anything to gain by OP going to Emory over WUSTL, and he voted WUSTL.

So again, who are you referring to?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:37 pm

dk84 wrote:There are 42 votes. You only have 8 people accounted for. I'm referring to the other 34.

romothesavior wrote:
dk84 wrote:You really trust the opinions/votes of a bunch people who are secretly slash not so secretly hoping that you go to Emory and therefore withdraw from WashU or vice versa? Don't listen to crap other people say, think really hard about what YOU felt and try to figure out your own feelings rather than listening to people gaming the system. But then again, you don't have to listen to my opinion.


Who the hell are you referring to? Najumobi, strato, and myself are all WUSTL bound next year. Rando is an Emory student, and it sounds like Keep the Faith is a WUSTL 1L. Derrick Rose is going to Illinois and I'm almost positive Rad Law is going to Vanderbilt. JCougar is the only person with anything to gain by OP going to Emory over WUSTL, and he voted WUSTL.

So again, who are you referring to?


ITT: dk makes incredibly baseless assumptions about the voters in this poll.

If people were trying to "not so secretly" convince OP to go to Emory, wouldn't they post something to add some "oomph" and convince him to go there? Your post makes no sense.

trademark
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby trademark » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:40 pm

Have to say, dk may be abrasive and a few other words I won't name, but he has a point. You guys are only a small portion of those 'voting' for a school. Who is to say the rest of the people are all voting in Brdway's best interest?

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby stratocophic » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:
dk84 wrote:You really trust the opinions/votes of a bunch people who are secretly slash not so secretly hoping that you go to Emory and therefore withdraw from WashU or vice versa? Don't listen to crap other people say, think really hard about what YOU felt and try to figure out your own feelings rather than listening to people gaming the system. But then again, you don't have to listen to my opinion.


Who the hell are you referring to? Najumobi, strato, and myself are all WUSTL bound next year. Rando is an Emory student, and it sounds like Keep the Faith is a WUSTL 1L. Derrick Rose is going to Illinois and I'm almost positive Rad Law is going to Vanderbilt. JCougar is the only person with anything to gain by OP going to Emory over WUSTL, and he voted WUSTL.

So again, who are you referring to?
+1 We're all just practicing our shameless trolling skillz.
Image

dk84 wrote:There are 42 votes. You only have 8 people accounted for. I'm referring to the other 34.

romothesavior wrote:
dk84 wrote:You really trust the opinions/votes of a bunch people who are secretly slash not so secretly hoping that you go to Emory and therefore withdraw from WashU or vice versa? Don't listen to crap other people say, think really hard about what YOU felt and try to figure out your own feelings rather than listening to people gaming the system. But then again, you don't have to listen to my opinion.


Who the hell are you referring to? Najumobi, strato, and myself are all WUSTL bound next year. Rando is an Emory student, and it sounds like Keep the Faith is a WUSTL 1L. Derrick Rose is going to Illinois and I'm almost positive Rad Law is going to Vanderbilt. JCougar is the only person with anything to gain by OP going to Emory over WUSTL, and he voted WUSTL.

So again, who are you referring to?
That's why polls are only useful sometimes. Many times uninformed or biased TLSers hit-and-run without explaining their position. The reasoning that people give is the most useful part of these threads. Polls are just fun for seeing who's da best.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby rando » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:43 pm

romothesavior wrote:I still am not sold on your midlaw argument. I'm not saying it is impossible to get midlaw, but I think it is equally if not more difficult. For one thing, it is smaller than big law. There are many graphs showing there is only a small range of first years associates making 70-100k. Also, with big law you are primarily competing against other law students for the jobs. With midlaw, you're going up against other students AND biglaw cast offs who are already trained and have experience. Clearly, those biglaw alums are going to get priority over the freshly minted law grads.

I'm not saying you're wrong, and in most cases I would defer to the law student over my own knowledge (just a lowly 0L). But I am skeptical because this is contrary to everything I have ever heard from anyone on TLS or any students at ASDs.


Midlaw exists. And in my limited experience it seems easier to get than Biglaw. The reason those graphs are so skewed isn't because midlaw is harder to get it is because it is just that much smaller proportion of the population. By the numbers, you could argue JAG is the most difficult to land. But that just isn't true. At OCI, there were many Midlaw firms and a few of us were actually yield-placed at their screening interviews. The people that I know working at these firms are roughly top 1/3, rather than top 10%.

I don't know why TLS seems to constantly relegate Midlaw to a pipe dream, but the fact is, time and again, top students choose Biglaw over Midlaw regardless of quality of life.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:44 pm

romothesavior wrote:
dk84 wrote:You really trust the opinions/votes of a bunch people who are secretly slash not so secretly hoping that you go to Emory and therefore withdraw from WashU or vice versa? Don't listen to crap other people say, think really hard about what YOU felt and try to figure out your own feelings rather than listening to people gaming the system. But then again, you don't have to listen to my opinion.


Who the hell are you referring to? Najumobi, strato, and myself are all WUSTL bound next year. Rando is an Emory student, and it sounds like Keep the Faith is a WUSTL 1L. Derrick Rose is going to Illinois and I'm almost positive Rad Law is going to Vanderbilt. JCougar is the only person with anything to gain by OP going to Emory over WUSTL, and he voted WUSTL.

So again, who are you referring to?


Haha and the point goes to Romo.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:49 pm

+1 to strato. I'd be inclined to believe that OP is more interested in hearing our thoughts and reasoning than he is in the poll. I don't think OP is going to say, "Well shit! I guess I'm going to go to Emory because more people voted for it in an anonymous internet poll!" Our arguments are likely to have more sway than the poll.

And sorry for the thread hijack, OP. It seems like the WUSTL Class of 2013 thread has sort of spilled over into this discussion. Hopefully you'll be joining us in our thread soon?

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby missvik218 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:54 pm

:lol: I <3 TLS's active WUSTL trolling troop.

From someone who turned them both down (WUSTL with your scholly and Emory at sticker) I'd probably choose WUSTL, I was super impressed at their ASD for many of the reasons already outlined for you in this thread. I just had different aspirations and therefore chose other options.

User avatar
somewherewarm
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:28 am

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby somewherewarm » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:55 pm

If you can assume similar NY prospects from both schools (although the 25%-15% stat that Najumobi brought up should be noted) then your gut will probably end up playing a big part in this decision. I know you said you were angry about the WUSTL dean not giving you extra money but don't let that be the deciding factor. All of the posters have raised valid points, i.e. St. Louis vs. Atlanta, the secondary markets that each school would give you access to, and the debt you would incur by attending each school. Try to use those factors and the feeling each campus/law school gave you to make a decision and take everything we say on this forum with a HUGE grain of salt; it's your decision and the only opinion that matters is yours. This is coming from a person who will be attending neither WUSTL nor Emory in the fall.

Side note: Brdway, I think I met you during the Emory ASD, I had a blue shirt and sat in the front during the current student Q&A.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby stratocophic » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:+1 to strato. I'd be inclined to believe that OP is more interested in hearing our thoughts and reasoning than he is in the poll. I don't think OP is going to say, "Well shit! I guess I'm going to go to Emory because more people voted for it in an anonymous internet poll!" Our arguments are likely to have more sway than the poll.

And sorry for the thread hijack, OP. It seems like the WUSTL Class of 2013 thread has sort of spilled over into this discussion. Hopefully you'll be joining us in our thread soon?
Similar to the ND vs. SLU thread. The poll was slanted heavily towards ND, but the average TLSer knows nada about the St. Louis legal market. The reasoning presented by both sides was much more useful to the OP in evaluating (or so we think :? ). TBF, this one's much less clear-cut than that situation.

missvik218 wrote::lol: I <3 TLS's active WUSTL trolling troop.

From someone who turned them both down (WUSTL with your scholly and Emory at sticker) I'd probably choose WUSTL, I was super impressed at their ASD for many of the reasons already outlined for you in this thread. I just had different aspirations and therefore chose other options.
Didn't you know? WUSTL's the new UVA on TLS. People are going end up hating WUSTL and its trolls much more than they already do, just give us time and a year or so to solidify our assuredness of the righteousness of our crusade :lol:

User avatar
You Gotta Have Faith
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:04 am

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:Gotta have faith, I didn't realize you went to WUSTL. I'd be interested to hear your personal thoughts on the school, social scene, job market, what things are like in STL, what you're doing this summer, etc.


PM what it is you were wanting to know sometime. I won't likely get to it right away, but I'll try as soon as I can :) I also may not know ALL the answers, but again, I'll do my best.

As for mid-law... I think a lot of it just depends on how it is that you actually define mid-law. I used to see it all as "big-law, then mid-law, then small-firms, then solo-practice." But now I see it as more of a continuum, much the way law schools can be (ex. there is much more to it than just T1, T2, T3 and T4). Multiple people have made good points about mid-law. I'm just gonna drop it off now and let others make arguments both ways on that.

None of it, at least in my very limited view, is totally set in stone. The top 10% or so generally take on jobs in the monster NY/Chi/DC firms (and oftentimes, as an aside, they get burnt out after about 5-10 years of doing that). I do think it's worth mentioning that not everyone wants to work in a firm. Only 70%-ish (don't quote me) of the class ends up in a firm of some sort. The others end up in a variety of places such as in business, in-house counsel, prosecution, public interest, etc. etc.

Back to the OP's original question... mull it over. I really do think it's a matter of preference more than anything. In either case, you won't be making a *bad* decision. You'll be better off than many, many other law students out there. WUSTL probably won't give you quite as much money because they have begun to see themselves as ever-so-slightly more competitive than Emory (whether this is real or imagined, I don't know). But I don't personally think the differences between them are astronomical or anything. WUSTL's a bit harder to get into, but it's more preference.

That said, I'm peacing out y'all. (for now)

User avatar
DerrickRose
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby DerrickRose » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:20 pm

Brdway4212 wrote:I think Illinois is pretty much out of the running right now. I went to college in the middle of nowhere...and while I loved it, I can't handle that for another 3 years. Plus I am not used to such a huge school. The whole environment of the campus/ 40,000 people there really overwhelmed me.

Aren't those two completely opposite complaints? Getting overwhelmed by large numbers of people in the middle of nowhere? Huh?

Did TLS people tell you to reapply last year?

Yeah they did because I applied late-ish (January) and my cycle wasn't exactly gangbusters. I didn't because:
A. There was no point in retaking, since going up from a 171 isn't going to help you much when you have a 3.3 in a state school liberal arts program.
B. I had zero job prospects. (See also: 3.3 in a state school liberal arts program)
C. They were telling me that I should go for T14, but I had no desire whatsoever to go 180k in debt for ANY law school.

Turns out the massive influx of applications made things much more competitive, plus the "scholarships for splitters" hose got turned off this year and I probably wouldn't even be going to law school if I had waited.

So there's that.

lawduder
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:56 am

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby lawduder » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:25 pm

I chose Emory ($60k) over WUSTL ($60k) without hesitation. I'm pretty sure I want to stay in the south but I also want to keep my northeastern options open. With that in mind my decision was easy and even if I were dead set on going up north, I'd still pick Emory over WUSTL because the thought of potentially ending up in the midwest is not appealing to me.

Brdway4212
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby Brdway4212 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:11 am

In response to the completely opposite complaints comment, the hesitation I have with Illinois is the lack of off-campus entertainment options. After four years spent living 3-4 hours from the closest city, I am really looking to be in a more urban environment. Plus to me the campus just felt a little too undergrad-centrick. Again, just personal preference. I would probably feel different about it had I not gone to undergrad in the middle of nowhere too.

DerrickRose wrote:
Brdway4212 wrote:I think Illinois is pretty much out of the running right now. I went to college in the middle of nowhere...and while I loved it, I can't handle that for another 3 years. Plus I am not used to such a huge school. The whole environment of the campus/ 40,000 people there really overwhelmed me.

Aren't those two completely opposite complaints? Getting overwhelmed by large numbers of people in the middle of nowhere? Huh?

Did TLS people tell you to reapply last year?

Yeah they did because I applied late-ish (January) and my cycle wasn't exactly gangbusters. I didn't because:
A. There was no point in retaking, since going up from a 171 isn't going to help you much when you have a 3.3 in a state school liberal arts program.
B. I had zero job prospects. (See also: 3.3 in a state school liberal arts program)
C. They were telling me that I should go for T14, but I had no desire whatsoever to go 180k in debt for ANY law school.

Turns out the massive influx of applications made things much more competitive, plus the "scholarships for splitters" hose got turned off this year and I probably wouldn't even be going to law school if I had waited.

So there's that.

Brdway4212
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby Brdway4212 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:17 am

Haha no problem. But your reasoning is right. I'm much more concerned with the comments than with poll results. It's nice to have some different perspective (plus thinking about this decision for so long has made me even more confused).You guys have given me a lot to think about in the coming days/ weeks!

Question to any current Emory students/ future students who know more about it than I do: what have your experiences been like with career services? I'm concerned about the 84% employment 9 months after graduation statistic.

romothesavior wrote:+1 to strato. I'd be inclined to believe that OP is more interested in hearing our thoughts and reasoning than he is in the poll. I don't think OP is going to say, "Well shit! I guess I'm going to go to Emory because more people voted for it in an anonymous internet poll!" Our arguments are likely to have more sway than the poll.

And sorry for the thread hijack, OP. It seems like the WUSTL Class of 2013 thread has sort of spilled over into this discussion. Hopefully you'll be joining us in our thread soon?

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby najumobi » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:28 am

Brdway4212 wrote:Haha no problem. But your reasoning is right. I'm much more concerned with the comments than with poll results. It's nice to have some different perspective (plus thinking about this decision for so long has made me even more confused).You guys have given me a lot to think about in the coming days/ weeks!

Question to any current Emory students/ future students who know more about it than I do: what have your experiences been like with career services? I'm concerned about the 84% employment 9 months after graduation statistic.
where are did you get that statistic from?

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby rando » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:29 am

Brdway4212 wrote:Haha no problem. But your reasoning is right. I'm much more concerned with the comments than with poll results. It's nice to have some different perspective (plus thinking about this decision for so long has made me even more confused).You guys have given me a lot to think about in the coming days/ weeks!

Question to any current Emory students/ future students who know more about it than I do: what have your experiences been like with career services? I'm concerned about the 84% employment 9 months after graduation statistic.



I posted this I think in the Emory 2010 thread after talking with someone I know in admissions. Basically the rundown is this...

Employment stats are self-reported and different schools have different ways of reporting their stats. For instance, last year we had 5 graduates go get LLM's, those are unreported here, while many schools report that as "academia." That's ~2%. Emory also does not include non-legal or business industry jobs. So if you are employed in retail or waiting tables after passing the bar while trying to find a job, Emory doesn't count it as employed in the "business" category. Emory also doesn't hire full-time unemployed graduates in admissions or career counseling to pad their stats. From what I understand some schools have hired up to 10-12 students working in the library, admissions, CCS etc. That is another 5%. Another huge factor is Emory reports almost the entire graduating class, I haven't seen the latest numbers but when I was looking into Emory it was all but 2 students of the graduating class reporting numbers. I have seen schools that report as little as 60%. Obviously that is a self-selecting situation because those that don't report are obviously much more likely to be unemployed.

I guess i have to respect them for taking the career stats so seriously, but it kind of makes me mad when we have this glaring 84% rate and peer schools have different reporting "methods." This is a rampant problem and until it get cleared up and everyone is on the same reporting system, you really need to take the employment stats with a grain of salt and seek out the career or admissions office to have them explain why the numbers are the way they are and how they report.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby rando » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:30 am

najumobi wrote:
Brdway4212 wrote:Haha no problem. But your reasoning is right. I'm much more concerned with the comments than with poll results. It's nice to have some different perspective (plus thinking about this decision for so long has made me even more confused).You guys have given me a lot to think about in the coming days/ weeks!

Question to any current Emory students/ future students who know more about it than I do: what have your experiences been like with career services? I'm concerned about the 84% employment 9 months after graduation statistic.
where are did you get that statistic from?


Yeah, and that is an old stat.

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby najumobi » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:39 am

rando wrote:I posted this I think in the Emory 2010 thread after talking with someone I know in admissions. Basically the rundown is this...

Employment stats are self-reported and different schools have different ways of reporting their stats. For instance, last year we had 5 graduates go get LLM's, those are unreported here, while many schools report that as "academia." That's ~2%. Emory also does not include non-legal or business industry jobs. So if you are employed in retail or waiting tables after passing the bar while trying to find a job, Emory doesn't count it as employed in the "business" category. Emory also doesn't hire full-time unemployed graduates in admissions or career counseling to pad their stats. From what I understand some schools have hired up to 10-12 students working in the library, admissions, CCS etc. That is another 5%. Another huge factor is Emory reports almost the entire graduating class, I haven't seen the latest numbers but when I was looking into Emory it was all but 2 students of the graduating class reporting numbers. I have seen schools that report as little as 60%. Obviously that is a self-selecting situation because those that don't report are obviously much more likely to be unemployed.

I guess i have to respect them for taking the career stats so seriously, but it kind of makes me mad when we have this glaring 84% rate and peer schools have different reporting "methods." This is a rampant problem and until it get cleared up and everyone is on the same reporting system, you really need to take the employment stats with a grain of salt and seek out the career or admissions office to have them explain why the numbers are the way they are and how they report.

yeah emory seems to be pretty upfront with placement statistics. from usnews: 83% of the class of 2008 responded to the salary suvery, showing that the top 60% of the class were able to land jobs that paid at least 85k/yr.

Brdway4212
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby Brdway4212 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:58 am

I actually got the 84% stat from the materials packet Emory sent to me. I believe that is for the Class of 2008...though I could be wrong. I can't imagine it was any better for Class of 2009.

I certainly know that many schools do "game" the employment numbers. However, at the WashU ASD, the Dean of Career Services gave an hour-long presentation about WashU's employment stats, unique placement strategy, and explained that they do not game the numbers. Employment in legal jobs 9 months after graduation was 94% I believe. It could be that he was skewing the numbers, but I really didn't feel that way. Also, median salaries seemed to be higher. I will say, however, that Emory's career services did not give a presentation at ASD. It could be that, had they done so, I would have been equally impressed with Emory's career services. I think these employment stats are one of my central hesitations about Emory, though I know that I need to get a better handle on how reflective both statistics are before I let them influence me too much.

najumobi wrote:
rando wrote:I posted this I think in the Emory 2010 thread after talking with someone I know in admissions. Basically the rundown is this...

Employment stats are self-reported and different schools have different ways of reporting their stats. For instance, last year we had 5 graduates go get LLM's, those are unreported here, while many schools report that as "academia." That's ~2%. Emory also does not include non-legal or business industry jobs. So if you are employed in retail or waiting tables after passing the bar while trying to find a job, Emory doesn't count it as employed in the "business" category. Emory also doesn't hire full-time unemployed graduates in admissions or career counseling to pad their stats. From what I understand some schools have hired up to 10-12 students working in the library, admissions, CCS etc. That is another 5%. Another huge factor is Emory reports almost the entire graduating class, I haven't seen the latest numbers but when I was looking into Emory it was all but 2 students of the graduating class reporting numbers. I have seen schools that report as little as 60%. Obviously that is a self-selecting situation because those that don't report are obviously much more likely to be unemployed.

I guess i have to respect them for taking the career stats so seriously, but it kind of makes me mad when we have this glaring 84% rate and peer schools have different reporting "methods." This is a rampant problem and until it get cleared up and everyone is on the same reporting system, you really need to take the employment stats with a grain of salt and seek out the career or admissions office to have them explain why the numbers are the way they are and how they report.

yeah emory seems to be pretty upfront with placement statistics. from usnews: 83% of the class of 2008 responded to the salary suvery, showing that the top 60% of the class were able to land jobs that paid at least 85k/yr.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. Emory?

Postby rando » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:03 am

I would imagine that median salaries are higher for WUSTL as one of the main markets is Chicago which would undoubtedly push the market salaries higher because Chicago pays market while Atlanta is generally 125-135k. I don't see how that should influence anyone. But the %'s are something to be concerned about. Though the lastest numbers for USNews were 95% I think for Emory.

I would suggest calling Emory and asking them. Talk to Dean Rosenzweig and tell him your concerns. I would be shocked if he didn't take the time to talk to you about it.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest