NYU vs. UVA ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU vs. UVA ($75k)?

NYU (no merit)
45%
UVA (Dean's Merit Scholarship $75k)
55%

Total votes: 40

anxiousacademic

NYU vs. UVA ($$)

Postby anxiousacademic » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:25 pm

It's the 12th hour and I still haven't decided between NYU and UVA. My application is on reserve at Columbia. I'm a Cornell grad from NYC and intend to stay in the city after I graduate. However, I am seriously interested in clerking on the federal appeals level after graduation and then possibly entering academia. I'm not interested in big law. If I attend NYU, I'll graduate with $35k to $40k in debt. I like both NYU and UVA a lot. Is NYU worth it?

GeePee

Re: NYU vs. UVA ($$)

Postby GeePee » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:27 pm

anxiousacademic wrote:It's the 12th hour and I still haven't decided between NYU and UVA. My application is on reserve at Columbia. I'm a Cornell grad from NYC and intend to stay in the city after I graduate. However, I am seriously interested in clerking on the federal appeals level after graduation and then possibly entering academia. I'm not interested in big law. If I attend NYU, I'll graduate with $35k to $40k in debt. I like both NYU and UVA a lot. Is NYU worth it?

Huh? Do you really have $150k to put toward your education?

anxiousacademic

Postby anxiousacademic » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:31 pm

Yes, I do.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:40 pm

NYU is better for the prestigious NYC biglaw firms, but you're not interested in that. UVa will get you into NYC easily--just not with the same kind of power at the top NYC firms, and possibly top NYC PI--and considering it places better into clerkships, I think UVa is the right fit for you. Of course, I'm sure a lot of people will disagree. If you want to come out of school debt free, all the doors you said you want to walk through will be open from UVa and NYU alike.

Postby 270910 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:39 pm

anxiousacademic wrote:However, I am seriously interested in clerking on the federal appeals level after graduation and then possibly entering academia. I'm not interested in big law. If I attend NYU, I'll graduate with $35k to $40k in debt. I like both NYU and UVA a lot. Is NYU worth it?

1) CoA clerkships are almost impossible (read: reserved for very roughly the top 5-10% of the graduating class) at either school. Academia is impossible (read: reserved for very roughly 1-3% of the graduating class) at either school.

2) If you don't want biglaw, you would be a fool to spend the money to attend NYU. Its advantage is almost exclusively in big firm placement into New York. UVA does just as well if not better in other big markets (DC), in government placement, and especially in clerkship placement.

3) UVA is offering you 6 figures of cold, hard cash to attend their school. Fuck if you or somebody else has the money, use it to buy some drinks or hookers or something while you study law in Charlottesville.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:05 am

$75k is a lot to turn down

also NYU is trending down and UVA is trending up based on one year of rankings. therefore, UVA will be superior by the time you graduate

also i don't think you should even go to law school if your plan is COA --> academia. wtf dude.

please don't tell me you're one of those morons that think no one would turn down 160k-million/year to only make 100k-300k+ working like 30 hours a week after tenure with students worshipping the ground you walk on if you make the slightest effort to seem nice. god, those people tick me off (people that think they are so deep/not materialistic for being able to make do with 100k+ instead of biglaw salaries)

khanvalescent

Postby khanvalescent » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:13 am

underdawg wrote:also NYU is trending down and UVA is trending up based on one year of rankings. therefore, UVA will be superior by the time you graduate

underdawg wrote:please don't tell me you're one of those morons

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:09 am

underdawg wrote:$75k is a lot to turn down

also NYU is trending down and UVA is trending up based on one year of rankings. therefore, UVA will be superior by the time you graduate

also i don't think you should even go to law school if your plan is COA --> academia. wtf dude.

please don't tell me you're one of those morons that think no one would turn down 160k-million/year to only make 100k-300k+ working like 30 hours a week after tenure with students worshipping the ground you walk on if you make the slightest effort to seem nice. god, those people tick me off (people that think they are so deep/not materialistic for being able to make do with 100k+ instead of biglaw salaries)

:lol:

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:13 am

Go to NYU, unless this is opposite day, then you should go to UVA.

Lawl School

Postby Lawl School » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:28 am

anxiousacademic wrote:It's the 12th hour and I still haven't decided between NYU and UVA. My application is on reserve at Columbia. I'm a Cornell grad from NYC and intend to stay in the city after I graduate. However, I am seriously interested in clerking on the federal appeals level after graduation and then possibly entering academia. I'm not interested in big law. If I attend NYU, I'll graduate with $35k to $40k in debt. I like both NYU and UVA a lot. Is NYU worth it?

underdawg wrote:also i don't think you should even go to law school if your plan is COA --> academia. wtf dude.

It's true, life is a bit unpredictible. At this stage in the game, you really have no idea how you will do in law school. Try to imagine, as a worst case scenario, that the only thing you have going for you besides mediocre grades from a top law school is that Cornell degree. Kinda makes you want to think about back-up plans, doesn't it?

Nah, I'm just fuckin' with ya, bro. Academia's tough to crack but you got that Cornell swagger.
Like Harold Bloom jabbin' Naomi Wolf (LinkRemoved) with that thing which he doth see before him - not a dagger,
not another Shakespearean invention - this time
Bill Nye
experimenting in the gorges,
nailin' bitches on horses
- better yet, 2-winged beasts (LinkRemoved) -
With Ruthie B, side saddle SCOTUS, saggy teats but still aims to please.
Then Carl Sagan and Dr. Atkins in a time machine,
smoking green,
Take us to Cornell Club, NYC,
2nd Circuit, Latin heat, where - shit! - Sotomayor left a vacancy.

She'd been axin' for this co-founder out of Ithaca -
"A prophet" she moaned, "Ezra..."
She wanted him to appoint you - anoint you -
you'd take her seat, see justice through.
Problem is, this Eazy-"E",
father of philanthropy,
lycanthropy,
went wolfman on your girlfriend while you were clerkin' on Circuit Three.
Said he'd **** her tenderly,
kidnapped her like Persephone,
chains up his unwilling queen -
this is Cornell's first family!
But now he hears from Strunk & White,
"Pop" Warner taught you how to fight,
then you got hooked on blow, raised Atlantis,
beat Tron, smoked blunts (always Swisher Sweets)
And now you're headed back East,
pimp-scholar,
gonna find these muthafuckas and void some choler,
and follow
your academic dreams.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:36 pm

khanvalescent wrote:
underdawg wrote:also NYU is trending down and UVA is trending up based on one year of rankings. therefore, UVA will be superior by the time you graduate

underdawg wrote:please don't tell me you're one of those morons

it must be fun pointing out things that are so dumb they must be jokes. don't you feel smart now?

and it's totally cool to go to law school to do something maybe 2% of students from those schools get to do.
:roll: (for clarity)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”