NLJ: Northwestern #1 in BigLaw Placement

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BasketCaseBrief

NLJ: Northwestern #1 in BigLaw Placement

Postby BasketCaseBrief » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:29 pm

Not sure if this has been posted here already.

Northwestern Law Holds No. 1 Spot in NLJ
February 24, 2010

A MESSAGE FROM THE DEAN

To: Northwestern Law Community

Re: National Law Journal “Go-to” Schools

The National Law Journal (NLJ) has published its 2010 ranking of schools with the highest percentage of 2009 graduates hired by NLJ 250 law firms. I am pleased to share that Northwestern Law holds the No. 1 spot. This is the third consecutive year that we have ranked in the top 5 (we were 5th in 2008 and 2nd in 2007).

The list of “go-to” schools was compiled from recruiting information that law firms provided on the 2009 NLJ 250, the National Law Journal’s annual survey of the nation’s largest law firms. As the article indicates, 2009 saw a definite decline in first-year associate employment at the nation’s 250 largest law firms, so the percentages are down across the board this year.

While the difficult economy continues to present immediate challenges to students hitting the job market, our placement in the top spot on this list is a testament to our strong reputation. This is also a reflection of the tremendous efforts of our entire Career Strategy Center team. This is the second time this year that we have been ranked No. 1 in an employment-based ranking. In the fall, Princeton Review ranked Northwestern Law No. 1 for Best Career Prospects.

During the past decade, a major component of our strategy has been to study the changes in the legal marketplace, to solicit employer feedback, and to adapt our programs and policies to ensure that our graduates are prepared for their careers better than those of any other law school. Based on our existing plans and the changes we have already implemented, I am optimistic that we will continue to rise in these and other rankings in future years.

For your information, the top 15 law schools are (percent hired by NLJ 250 in parentheses):

1. Northwestern Law (55.9)
2. Columbia Law School (54.4)
3. Stanford Law School (54.1)
4. University of Chicago (53.1)
5. University of Virginia (52.8)
6. University of Michigan (51)
7. University of Pennsylvania (50.8)
8. New York University (50.1)
9. University of California, Berkeley (50)
10. Duke Law School (49.8)
11. Harvard (47.6)
12. Vanderbilt (47.1)
13. Georgetown (42.8)
14. Cornell (41.5)
15. University of Southern California (41.3)

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/news/ne ... cfm?ID=230

------ From the WSJ blog:

Congrats to Northwestern University, which has the top-ranked law school in the country.

At least according to one measure: success at placing graduates in BigLaw jobs.

The National Law Journal today published its annual ranking of schools based on which sent the highest percentage of graduates to first-year jobs at the country’s largest firms.

Forget faculty-student ratios, student satisfaction, a school’s reputation or any other measure of greatness. What counts most these days is a school’s ability to deliver the bacon. So Sayonara, Harvard and Yale, which failed to crack NLJ’s top 10.

Which schools did make the cut?

Here are the Top 10 in the NLJ ranking followed by the percentage of grads who landed first-year positions at the nation’s largest firms.

1. Northwestern University School of Law - 55.9 percent
2. Columbia Law School - 54.4 percent
3. Stanford Law School - 54.1 percent
4. University of Chicago Law School – 53.1 percent
5. University of Virginia School of Law – 52.8 percent
6. University of Michigan Law School – 51 percent
7. University of Pennsylvania Law School - 50.8 percent
8. New York University School of Law – 50.1
9. UC Berkeley School of Law – 50 percent
10. Duke Law School - 49.8 percent

Not surprisingly, NLJ noted a decline in the rate at which grads landed plum jobs. In last year’s report, Columbia led all schools, placing 70.5% of its grands in big-firm jobs. “Our list shows just how tough it was for many to move from law schools to first-year jobs,” David Brown, editor-in-chief of NLJ said in a statement.

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2010/02/22/nor ... l-ranking/

showNprove

Re: NLJ: Northwestern #1 in BigLaw Placement

Postby showNprove » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:35 pm

You're the first poster who has ever provoked me to post a troll/flame picture. Congratulations.

BasketCaseBrief

Postby BasketCaseBrief » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:34 am

showNprove wrote:You're the first poster who has ever provoked me to post a troll/flame picture. Congratulations.

And you're the first one in this thread to post useless information, in a forum where 0Ls are seeking information to help them in choosing law schools. Idiot.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:40 am

Although I find this interesting, "sayonara Harvard and Yale?" Come on... ever heard of self-selection?

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:52 am

BasketCaseBrief wrote:
showNprove wrote:You're the first poster who has ever provoked me to post a troll/flame picture. Congratulations.

And you're the first one in this thread to post useless information, in a forum where 0Ls are seeking information to help them in choosing law schools. Idiot.

LOL this thread is useless. The NLJ results are widely published, and there have been multiple threads regarding them. You made a thread using nothing but links to articles that sing NU's praises. You're trolling under the guise of providing "potentially unseen" information that has certainly been seen by practically everyone on this forum.

BasketCaseBrief

Postby BasketCaseBrief » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:03 am

showNprove wrote:
BasketCaseBrief wrote:

LOL this thread is useless. The NLJ results are widely published, and there have been multiple threads regarding them. You made a thread using nothing but links to articles that sing NU's praises. You're trolling under the guise of providing "potentially unseen" information that has certainly been seen by practically everyone on this forum.

The only person trolling here right now, is you. Can you prove everyone on the forum knows this? No because there are new people everyday. I'm also sure people have also seen the rankings, but that doesn't mean a thread about them is illegitimate. :roll:

If this had already been posted elsewhere and you saw it, all you have to do is link to that thread instead of acting like an asshole. Like I said, I'm not sure if it had been posted here recently.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:18 am

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:21 am

YCrevolution wrote:Note: Do not abuse the report-a-post feature. Reporting a post just because someone disagrees with you, esp. when you've already resorted to name-calling yourself, is not acceptable.

lol, someone seriously reported this? :lol:

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:30 am

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:55 am

BasketCaseBrief wrote:
showNprove wrote:
BasketCaseBrief wrote:

The only person trolling here right now, is you. Can you prove everyone on the forum knows this? No because there are new people everyday. I'm also sure people have also seen the rankings, but that doesn't mean a thread about them is illegitimate. :roll:

If this had already been posted elsewhere and you saw it, all you have to do is link to that thread instead of acting like an asshole. Like I said, I'm not sure if it had been posted here recently.

I'd already seen it. Also, the "I'm rubber, you're glue!" defense (The only person trolling here right now, is you) is classic troll behavior. Not that you are, necessarily, but it's not a defense.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:39 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:Note: Do not abuse the report-a-post feature. Reporting a post just because someone disagrees with you, esp. when you've already resorted to name-calling yourself, is not acceptable.

lol, someone seriously reported this? :lol:

Twice (but two different posts in this thread).

LOL

ncct07

Postby ncct07 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:07 pm

BasketCaseBrief wrote:[
If this had already been posted elsewhere and you saw it, all you have to do is link to that thread

Here's one: [url]http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108678
[/url]

And another: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=108605

Might I suggest, when in doubt, use the "search forum" feature. :P

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:09 pm

Again?

Why the hell does it keep slipping in the USNWR rankings?

Oh right, those rankings are useless.

Wait, these numbers look like last year's numbers.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:17 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:Again?

Why the hell does it keep slipping in the USNWR rankings?

Oh right, those rankings are useless.

Wait, these numbers look like last year's numbers.

ehh

rankings may be useless but here's another way to think about it

many of the Northwestern students are "olds" which come into LS with lots of prior experience. This is something which is desirable to employers so they may want to hire them based on that factor rather than the quality of education (whatever that means) at Northwestern.

When you compare northwestern students to other well known schools, they do better at firm placement, but at the same time since they came in with work experience they had a much greater opportunity cost. (as a UG I would make 25-35k upon graduation, but the Northwestern students were likely making way more than I could have theoretically made, and thus missing out on that income and so that would be a higher opportunity cost). For that reason it's harder to say if Northwestern is a better school, though it seems pretty obvious that in this category at least, they have the best performing students.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”