What will UCI be ranked???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCI's rank when accredited

T14
3%
T20
5%
T25
13%
T30
16%
T30-50
41%
T2
21%

Total votes: 168

pany1985

Re: What will UCI be ranked???

Postby pany1985 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:39 am

Inside of our library:

--ImageRemoved--

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:45 am

doomed123 wrote:
pany1985 wrote:There are some other favorable money situations between the law school and the overall unversity that should allow UCI to offer a lot of scholarships in the long term. I'm not sure if I'm really authorized to talk about that stuff... but it's good stuff.

Drug front confirmed.

After a disproportionate number of UCI grads land jobs in Mexico defending the kingpins of drug cartels, the law school will debut at the top of the "International Law" specialty rankings.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:10 am

ViP wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:I could definitely see UCI as a Northeastern type school - quirky and really good for what it is - but won't overtake the more entrenched/established LSs in the area. Current UCI students in this thread need to come back to reality a bit - every law school is working really hard to get the best faculty they can (BU where I am we have some of the most preeminent scholars in health and admin law and we're only a T25), up numbers, place students, etc. Also - every LS has faculty that strongly push their own connections. Thats how lots of people get clerkships at most schools.

UCI will suffer a tad from the fact that no one outside of CA has heard of the school, and CA itself has Stanford >>>> Berkley >>>>> UCLA > USC >>>> UCH/UCD. UCSD and all the others. Extremely crowded state law school-wise, and with a lack of any sort of national name recognition, its going to be tough.

UCI has given its law school the green light to match any other law school's offer for any professor in the country. They can literally afford to grab professors that are not only prolific, but that have also won teaching awards at top schools. I'm pretty sure the most respected faculty rankings available are Leiter's, and he ranks UCI as 9th in the country. That's nothing to overlook, especially considering UCI is a brand new school.

In terms of all faculties pushing their own connections... It's a lot easier when the student-faculty ratio is 3:1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no way everyone can take advantage of professors' personal connections at most schools. The top students, perhaps.

Also, just FYI- it was a BU professor that told me how awesome UCI sounds (before I even mentioned it to him). He said the top schools are definitely aware of UCI's faculty and there's no doubt that it already looks like a top school. Just one professor's opinion, but since he's from your school I thought it might interest you
:) .

People always like the new shiny things. Also, doesn't matter too much what some professor thinks, hes not going to be hiring anyone.

ViP

Postby ViP » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:03 am

Blindmelon wrote:
ViP wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:I could definitely see UCI as a Northeastern type school - quirky and really good for what it is - but won't overtake the more entrenched/established LSs in the area. Current UCI students in this thread need to come back to reality a bit - every law school is working really hard to get the best faculty they can (BU where I am we have some of the most preeminent scholars in health and admin law and we're only a T25), up numbers, place students, etc. Also - every LS has faculty that strongly push their own connections. Thats how lots of people get clerkships at most schools.

UCI will suffer a tad from the fact that no one outside of CA has heard of the school, and CA itself has Stanford >>>> Berkley >>>>> UCLA > USC >>>> UCH/UCD. UCSD and all the others. Extremely crowded state law school-wise, and with a lack of any sort of national name recognition, its going to be tough.

UCI has given its law school the green light to match any other law school's offer for any professor in the country. They can literally afford to grab professors that are not only prolific, but that have also won teaching awards at top schools. I'm pretty sure the most respected faculty rankings available are Leiter's, and he ranks UCI as 9th in the country. That's nothing to overlook, especially considering UCI is a brand new school.

In terms of all faculties pushing their own connections... It's a lot easier when the student-faculty ratio is 3:1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no way everyone can take advantage of professors' personal connections at most schools. The top students, perhaps.

Also, just FYI- it was a BU professor that told me how awesome UCI sounds (before I even mentioned it to him). He said the top schools are definitely aware of UCI's faculty and there's no doubt that it already looks like a top school. Just one professor's opinion, but since he's from your school I thought it might interest you
:) .

People always like the new shiny things. Also, doesn't matter too much what some professor thinks, hes not going to be hiring anyone.

Peer assessment matters very much with regard to ranking- as in 25% of the overall ranking. For better or worse, rankings can sometimes translate into employment prospects.

In any case, I didn't mean to imply that the quality of the faculty directly translates into employments prospects. I already addressed UCI's approach to post-grad employment. Read my other recent posts if you're interested.

Also, like I clearly said- I thought it might interest you to hear that the professor was from your school. That's all.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”