Am I crazy? UVa ($$$) vs. CLS Hamilton

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?

CLS Hamilton
81%
UVa Dean's Scholarship
19%

Total votes: 70

theedge3143

Am I crazy? UVa ($$$) vs. CLS Hamilton

Postby theedge3143 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:21 pm

I've been a lurker here for a while, and I'd really appreciate the perspective of some people on this board. I'm in the really fortunate position of deciding between a full-tuition scholarship at UVa and the Hamilton fellowship at CLS.

I'd like to end up in DC after graduation, doing PI or gov't work (especially DOJ antitrust or FTC) but I'd be fine working at a firm in DC for a few years if that's what it takes to reach those goals. I'm pretty certain I don't want NYC biglaw, and DC is home to me.

I've been working for a few years and I've saved some money, so cost of living shouldn't be a problem.

I guess the difficult issue for me is NYC vs. C-ville. I'm really not crazy about living in New York and I've always found it overwhelming. At the same time, there's obviously a lot more resources/things to do there over C-ville and it could be a good experience for me living there. I went to UVa undergrad and so I've already had that experience. I really, really loved it there though, and I was thinking that its familiarity/comfort is a big plus considering the stresses and change of law school. I went to both ASWs and while I liked CLS well enough, I just loved UVa and was struck by how happy/relaxed the students seemed. Plus, it's not clear to me that CLS is much better at placing grads in DC (but I could be wrong about that.)

Am I crazy for even considering UVa at this point? I'm genuinely torn on this, and would really appreciate any thoughts.

lakerfanimal

Re: Am I crazy? UVa ($$$) vs. CLS Hamilton

Postby lakerfanimal » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:24 pm

CLS gives you more opportunities outside of DC but you're right in that in DC it might be a draw. The government work opportunities you mentioned seem like prestigious opportunities and the CLS cache might help you there. However, if you're THAT set on DC then it's not crazy to go to UVA because you sound like you're going to love being at UVA way more than at CLS.
Last edited by lakerfanimal on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toaster2

Postby toaster2 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:24 pm

Last edited by toaster2 on Tue May 25, 2010 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:26 pm

you got a hamilton but didn't get in HLS? if you want elite DC jobs go to harvard.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:27 pm

This should be a no-brainer for CLS.

- you've already been to UVA for UG
- It's a better school for what you want to do
- Living in NYC for 3 years will be a great experience and you might end up wanting to work in a private firm there. It gets less overwhelming when you're living there as opposed to visiting.
-Hamilton is very prestigious. Most people including employers will assume you turned down HYS for it.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:28 pm

I voted CLS, but then again, it was pretty ingrained in me by my profs to choose a different grad school than where you went for UG.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:32 pm

I think it would be pretty silly to turn down CLS unless you actively hate it. I would also not characterize DC placement as a "draw." UVA may place lots of people into DC, but this is largely due to the fact that the overwhelming majority of the top of the CLS class self-selects into New York.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:33 pm

CLS

Gotta leave the nest someday.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:38 pm

Helmholtz wrote:I voted CLS, but then again, it was pretty ingrained in me by my profs to choose a different grad school than where you went for UG.

Why is that?

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:39 pm

NayBoer wrote:CLS

Gotta leave the nest someday.

Normally I would say go where makes you happy, but I feel like there is some merit to this argument as well. Life is a lot more like NYC than C'Ville.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:44 pm

I don't see anyway you could pass up the Hamilton. UVA is just not CLS.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:45 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:I voted CLS, but then again, it was pretty ingrained in me by my profs to choose a different grad school than where you went for UG.

Why is that?

I think it's because of the new and different experience and it looks better on a resume, or at least this is what I was told by one of my profs who was accepted to Harvard and Stanford phd programs, but said that he ended up going to Harvard at least in part because of having gone to Stanford for UG.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:49 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:

Why is that?

I think it's because of the new and different experience and it looks better on a resume, or at least this is what I was told by one of my profs who was accepted to Harvard and Stanford phd programs, but said that he ended up going to Harvard at least in part because of having gone to Stanford for UG.

I've been told the exact same thing. It probably doesn't matter for LS - but diversity in education is valued. Going from UG to LS at the same place also kind of makes it seem like you were babied through your education - I guess its why you see so many Y/H H/S, etc splits between UG/grad.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:51 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:

Why is that?

In the education world they call it intellectual inbreeding. I don't know if it matters as much when your degrees are in totally separate areas though. Meaning it would matter if you were an education major going back to the same schools to get a PhD in an education related area of study, but would probably matter less if you were an education major going back to get a J.D.

Oh, and to answer the OP, yes, you are crazy. If you have the chance at Columbia for free, you don't pass that up. BTW, withdrawal from UVA tomorrow to keep yourself from second guessing the decision (and to free up scholarship money).

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:05 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:Don't get your graduate degree from the same school you got your undergraduate degree if you can avoid it. In this case, you can definitely avoid it. By going to a better school. Now.

Whatev. I'm putting my BA, BS, and JD in a triangle in my office and painting a big picture of Chief Illiniwek in the middle. I'm sure no one will mind.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:10 pm

I would highly recommend taking the Hamilton at Columbia, unless you are near certain you will be very unhappy in NYC.

Quine

Postby Quine » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:12 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:

Why is that?

In the education world they call it intellectual inbreeding. I don't know if it matters as much when your degrees are in totally separate areas though. Meaning it would matter if you were an education major going back to the same schools to get a PhD in an education related area of study, but would probably matter less if you were an education major going back to get a J.D.

Oh, and to answer the OP, yes, you are crazy. If you have the chance at Columbia for free, you don't pass that up. BTW, withdrawal from UVA tomorrow to keep yourself from second guessing the decision (and to free up scholarship money).

I actually think it's more about expanding opportunities. If you take CLS and already have UVA on your resume, you get the benefit of both names and at least a part of both networks.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:15 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
I've been told the exact same thing. It probably doesn't matter for LS - but diversity in education is valued. Going from UG to LS at the same place also kind of makes it seem like you were babied through your education - I guess its why you see so many Y/H H/S, etc splits between UG/grad.

Not sure I understand why you see this as the case. Care to elaborate?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”