Fordham ($$) vs Duke

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Would you take Duke Law (full price) vs Fordham ($$) ?

Fordham Law
21%
Duke Law
79%

Total votes: 33

ozcuan

Fordham ($$) vs Duke

Postby ozcuan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:25 pm

Help.

70k@ Fordham vs Duke Law (sticker).

I have lived in both urban and rural environments and am fine with both for the next 3 years. My end goal is to work for an American firm abroad, preferably London. I know to get there I would most likely have to go through NY. I am interested in international and business law, my background is in international development.

The case for FU in my mind in part that I'm married and think job prospects, in arts & development, would be better for my wife in NYC. Also, I'm still carrying a little bit of student loans too, so having 70k less at the end of three years if summer associates don't open up, is appealing. Btw, 70k is over the 3 years. In addition, FU places well in the NYC and I wouldnt' mind being there for a littel bit out of school. Moreover, even in South Florida, FU is not completely unheard of thanks to some other big time alums. My worry is that I could be pigeonholed into living and working in NY.

I'd like to go with my gut, which tells me DL. I've scanned the databases for attorneys out of these schools working and outside of NYC, DL stomps FU. COL is an obvious plus for Durham. And while rankings should not dictate where you go, I think that applies outside of T14. I worry however, that during my time at DL I might be missing out on valuable networking opps in NYC and meeting other like minded professionals, and not brainy academics at DL.

What other things might I have I not taken into consideration? Thanks in advance everyone.

Blindmelon

Re: Fordham ($$) vs Duke

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:53 pm

Duke. Its better for NYC and FL and about everywhere else.

70k is a small price to pay considering also that you'll save in COL if you don't go to Fordham.

This is a no-brainer.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:54 pm

Whoever voted for Fordham is either 1) on Duke's waitlist, or 2) hates you.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:46 pm

Duke is the correct choice here. Its international LLM program and international focus are great, not to mention the strong alumni network and superior placement opportunities. I was also worried about "brainy academics" and a sense of snottiness at Duke but after a couple of visits I haven't seen a bit of it at Duke. Rather, most of the students and faculty recognize that professional school should help you become just that, a professional.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:33 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Whoever voted for Fordham is either 1) on Duke's waitlist, or 2) hates you.

You forgot option 3: Operasoprano

Return to “Choosing a Law School”