NYU v. Gtown v. Duke $ v. Texas $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?

NYU @ sticker
72%
G-town @ sticker
No votes
Duke w/ $67,500 scholarship
28%
Texas w/ $98,000
No votes

Total votes: 32

castellon

NYU v. Gtown v. Duke $ v. Texas $$

Postby castellon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:34 am

I'm pretty set on NYU because I'm from a city pretty similar to Austin and I really want to live in a big city where I don't need a car. Also, I'm very interested in politics and Wall Street, although I have no idea what I want to do after law school. I don't really want to live in Texas, or the South for that matter. I'm pretty decided on NYU, but I guess I just want to make sure I'm not an idiot for passing up some pretty big scholarships. I would love to live in D.C. but after being an alternate for a scholarship they finally just told me they had no more money to offer, so I figure if I'm paying sticker I might as well go to NYU.

I like the idea of NYU because it seems that I can have a good shot at PI or Biglaw, and I think I want to do one of the two, not sure which yet though. So either confirm my desire or tell me I'm an idiot!

Oh, and one other thing, I have terrible allergies and I've heard this is a problem in Austin, and it was for me when I went to SXSW.

D. H2Oman

Re: NYU v. Gtown v. Duke $ v. Texas $$

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:38 am

Enjoy NYU, I hope you have enough pairs of skinny jeans.

castellon

Postby castellon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:45 am

Sorry if that sounded like a swipe at GTown or something, I would love to go there, I just don't feel as comfortable there with over $200,000 of debt. I don't feel that comfortable with that much debt in general, but I guess NYU made me feel comfortable enough at ASD that I'm willing to take the risk.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:47 am

castellon wrote:Sorry if that sounded like a swipe at GTown or something, I would love to go there, I just don't feel as comfortable there with over $200,000 of debt. I don't feel that comfortable with that much debt in general, but I guess NYU made me feel comfortable enough at ASD that I'm willing to take the risk.

idk if this is directed at me. But, I was just making a bad joke. You would be crazy to pick GULC over NYU both at sticker. In fact withdraw from GULC right now!

castellon

Postby castellon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:51 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
castellon wrote:Sorry if that sounded like a swipe at GTown or something, I would love to go there, I just don't feel as comfortable there with over $200,000 of debt. I don't feel that comfortable with that much debt in general, but I guess NYU made me feel comfortable enough at ASD that I'm willing to take the risk.

idk if this is directed at me. But, I was just making a bad joke. You would be crazy to pick GULC over NYU both at sticker. In fact withdraw from GULC right now!

It was a so-so joke, I just wanted to make sure I didn't sound like a total douche in my question. I might also have felt a little defensive as I do own a few pairs of skinny jeans...

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:22 am

castellon wrote:I'm pretty set on NYU because I'm from a city pretty similar to Austin and I really want to live in a big city where I don't need a car. I don't really want to live in Texas, or the South for that matter. I like the idea of NYU because it seems that I can have a good shot at PI or Biglaw

You should immediately eliminate GULC (no $) and Texas (no interest in Texas/South). Since you like NYC, NYU would be worth sticker over Duke.

castellon

Postby castellon » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks everyone, it appears that many agree that turning down the scholarships isn't completely crazy which makes me feel a lot better about doing so.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”