Michigan ($$$) vs. Chicago ($$) - Now with extra confusion!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Mich vs. Chicago

Mich (full tuition with one-time $7.5K stipend)
44%
Chicago ($90K)
33%
BoalTTT ($135k)
23%

Total votes: 115

Tangerine Gleam

Re: Michigan ($$$) vs. Chicago ($$) - Now with extra confusion!!

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:24 pm

This thread is turning into a total shitshow!

Emma, despite what some will say, there isn't a correct response -- certainly not in a situation which factors in serious subjective "life stuff" that TLS-ers can only assess to a certain degree.

Posters who don't understand how a spouse could sway someone to make a decision that could cost tens of thousands of dollars [or who act like $30k is worth living apart from your spouse for 3 years while you are both still young] probably shouldn't be given too much weight here. If OP were a senior in undergrad with no spouse, the Darrow would certainly be the most practical option; even then, though, it wouldn't be a slam dunk. And regardless, this isn't the case. While these threads can be useful, I think your situation is far too subjective for any sort of consensus -- especially by internet strangers. :D

I'll reiterate that there is truly is no bad choice between the three. Think about it for a few days -- and maybe stay away from TLS. :wink:

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:32 pm

How does SO feel about Berkeley?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:29 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:This thread is turning into a total shitshow!

Emma, despite what some will say, there isn't a correct response -- certainly not in a situation which factors in serious subjective "life stuff" that TLS-ers can only assess to a certain degree.

Posters who don't understand how a spouse could sway someone to make a decision that could cost tens of thousands of dollars [or who act like $30k is worth living apart from your spouse for 3 years while you are both still young] probably shouldn't be given too much weight here. If OP were a senior in undergrad with no spouse, the Darrow would certainly be the most practical option; even then, though, it wouldn't be a slam dunk. And regardless, this isn't the case. While these threads can be useful, I think your situation is far too subjective for any sort of consensus -- especially by internet strangers. :D

I'll reiterate that there is truly is no bad choice between the three. Think about it for a few days -- and maybe stay away from TLS. :wink:

QFT. Nicely done, Gleam. :wink:

existenz

Re: Michigan ($$$) vs. Chicago ($$)

Postby existenz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:45 pm

emrose wrote:Jesus. My decision just got more complicated. 135k from Boalt as well. :shock:

Damn. Well I'd do Berk if you want to work in CA or have family reasons to be there. Otherwise I still recommend taking the Darrow. Very very jealous of your options!

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:27 pm

Boom. Exactly.

LOL @ this:

cavebat2000 wrote:Also, if her supposedly extreme unhappiness (she will get over it)

I'm just glad emma's wife doesn't have to deal with having a husband like this. Too many wives out there do.

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:04 pm

You're too old to be living in Ann Arbor. Go to Chicago and room with FancyPants to cut down on housing costs.

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:34 pm

UF Gators wrote:Go to Chicago and room with FancyPants to cut down on housing costs.

TITCR

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:04 am

nygrrrl wrote:

QFT. Nicely done, Gleam. :wink:

+1

Thanks TG.

You know as much as I appreciate the combined wisdom of TLS I would always make a decision based on what is best for me and my wife, right? It is good to hear all these different responses though. I love it when people tell me I shouldn't be considering her opinion, when I'd go to Cooley if that was what it took to make her happy. Do I wish she'd be happy at Mich? Hell yeah... But if she really isn't, then I guess Mich is going to be a non-option.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:10 am

Fancy Pants wrote:
UF Gators wrote:Go to Chicago and room with FancyPants to cut down on housing costs.

TITCR

Should we get a baller 3brm in Regents? Then we can have an office/study! Lulz. I'm not sure if you want to put up with the Rose family version of 'domestic bliss' :oops:

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:22 am

emrose wrote:
Fancy Pants wrote:

TITCR

Should we get a baller 3brm in Regents? Then we can have an office/study! Lulz. I'm not sure if you want to put up with the Rose family version of 'domestic bliss' :oops:

Emma, aren't you forgetting the most important member of the Rose family? I think S. needs to be consulted about this FancyPants idea before you proceed any further! :lol:

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:28 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
I'm guessing we're both biased as hell, but I agree with AA.

Btw, cya [strike]next year[/strike] in 4.5 months AA. :D

FTFY. :wink:

How many people do you guys think we could fit in a 3 bedroom? I figure if we can jam enough people in there, rent will be so low that Regents will actually pay us to live there.

Someone else might want to run the numbers...math was never my forte.

Mr. Smith

Postby Mr. Smith » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:18 am

TL, you know I got mad love for you right, you sexy lady, but, um...

I vote Chicago.

Em, your wife's happiness> the somewhat minimal differences between your choices.

Think of it this way, the extra money you have to pay at Chicago is an investment. An investment in your marriage.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:45 am

LOLz. Apology accepted. Do I know you? :oops:

Mr. Smith wrote:TL, you know I got mad love for you right, you sexy lady, but, um...

I vote Chicago.

Em, your wife's happiness> the somewhat minimal differences between your choices.

Think of it this way, the extra money you have to pay at Chicago is an investment. An investment in your marriage.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:02 am

Mr. Smith wrote:TL, you know I got mad love for you right, you sexy lady, but, um...

I vote Chicago.

(I knew you would have sage advice! sorry tl but he makes a good point...)

Mr. Smith

Postby Mr. Smith » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:05 am

tamlyric wrote:LOLz. Apology accepted. Do I know you? :oops:

Naw, I just saw you on your website, michigan0Lgirlsgonewild.com.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:06 am

nygrrrl wrote:

I vote Chicago.

You know... you could have thought of not posting these comments as an investment in our friendship. :P

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:06 am

Mr. Smith wrote:

I vote Chicago.

He does make a good point, but isn't Bay Area his wife's top choice?

And more importantly, if I don't have someone to go out to Tahoe with, I won't make it through 1L. HTH. THX.

No but all kidding aside man, haven't you guys wanted to be in the Bay Area all along? I am confused as to why there is still a decision to be made...

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:07 am

Mr. Smith wrote:

:shock: ... :lol:

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:07 am

tamlyric wrote:
You know... you could have thought of not posting these comments as an investment in our friendship. :P

:| :cry: :oops:

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:10 am

tamlyric wrote:
Mr. Smith wrote:

:shock: ... :lol:

LOLZ. Dramatic irony win.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:52 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
Mr. Smith wrote:

I vote Chicago.

He does make a good point, but isn't Bay Area his wife's top choice?

And more importantly, if I don't have someone to go out to Tahoe with, I won't make it through 1L. HTH. THX.

No but all kidding aside man, haven't you guys wanted to be in the Bay Area all along? I am confused as to why there is still a decision to be made...

edit: oops, was supposed to be a PM

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:20 pm

How does your wife feel about St. Louis?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”