Michigan ($$$) vs. Chicago ($$) - Now with extra confusion!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Mich vs. Chicago

Mich (full tuition with one-time $7.5K stipend)
44%
Chicago ($90K)
33%
BoalTTT ($135k)
23%

Total votes: 115

AngryAvocado

Re: Michigan ($$$) vs. Chicago ($$)

Postby AngryAvocado » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:02 pm

black celebration wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Chicago does indeed give out full rides. Although it's the most rare of any of CCN. I believe one person who has posted in this thread was a recipient of one.

Ah, I stand corrected. Oh well.

He's right. According to my finaid email, 100% of my expenses will be covered...

...by loans.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Have you considered not living in AA? You could live in the burbs somewhere between Detroit and AA (probably in a nice place for cheap), you drive to AA, SO drives to Detroit to work? Detroit and AA are approx 45 minutes apart.

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:13 pm

kurla88 wrote:Have you considered not living in AA? You could live in the burbs somewhere between Detroit and AA (probably in a nice place for cheap), you drive to AA, SO drives to Detroit to work? Detroit and AA are approx 45 minutes apart.

This post does nothing to help the cause of emma going to Chicago. I declare it void.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:30 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:
kurla88 wrote:Have you considered not living in AA? You could live in the burbs somewhere between Detroit and AA (probably in a nice place for cheap), you drive to AA, SO drives to Detroit to work? Detroit and AA are approx 45 minutes apart.

This post does nothing to help the cause of emma going to Chicago. I declare it void.

The prospect of him telling his wifey to work in Detroit helps us. :D

Olive

Postby Olive » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:46 pm

If you went to Chi, would your wife be able to cover CoL with her job and maybe alleviate some of the debt/cost differences?

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:00 am

TTC chat fail :D

Olive

Postby Olive » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:07 am

Slimpee wrote:TTC chat fail :D

Oh, was my question already answered there (or somewhere else)? No one is ever there anymore.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:52 pm

Jesus. My decision just got more complicated. 135k from Boalt as well. :shock:

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:53 pm

emrose wrote:Jesus. My decision just got more complicated. 135k from Boalt as well. :shock:

no, hipsters suck tbqh

JollyGreenGiant

Re: Michigan ($$$) vs. Chicago ($$) - Now with extra confusion!!

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:04 pm

Great offer from Boalt! However, I'd go with Michigan over Boalt if it is about money. Boalt's tuition is gonna hover near 52-55k isn't it?

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:05 pm

My recommendation still stands. It's still between Michigan and Chicago.

The People's Republic is too expensive.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:08 pm

I would have voted for Boalt over Chicago @ 60k, but not now. Congrats on the additional offer, though.

cavebat2000

Postby cavebat2000 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:16 pm

What could you possibly want out of a law school that Michigan couldn't provide? It's not like this is between full ride at Michigan v YHS. Go to Michigan with a full ride, enjoy your time there, graduate with no debt and laugh at those around you who have to begin paying back $67k x 3 years.

There is nothing Chicago or Berkeley is going to give you, no possible advantage worth passing up that Darrow + stipend. In my opinion this is an easy choice.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:23 pm

hahaha....impending doom.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:26 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:What could you possibly want out of a law school that Michigan couldn't provide? It's not like this is between full ride at Michigan v YHS. Go to Michigan with a full ride, enjoy your time there, graduate with no debt and laugh at those around you who have to begin paying back $67k x 3 years.

There is nothing Chicago or Berkeley is going to give you, no possible advantage worth passing up that Darrow + stipend. In my opinion this is an easy choice.

If it were just me I'd totally agree, but my wife's happiness is a huge factor in this decision as well.

cavebat2000

Postby cavebat2000 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:30 pm

emrose wrote:
cavebat2000 wrote:What could you possibly want out of a law school that Michigan couldn't provide? It's not like this is between full ride at Michigan v YHS. Go to Michigan with a full ride, enjoy your time there, graduate with no debt and laugh at those around you who have to begin paying back $67k x 3 years.

If it were just me I'd totally agree, but my wife's happiness is a huge factor in this decision as well.

Give her the stipend! LOL

How about the financial freedom a full-ride offers? It's only three years. Three years of being somewhat unhappy can easily be made up after law school when you graduate with no debt from MICHIGAN LAW SCHOOL. :)

adrib

Postby adrib » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:30 pm

emma, you need to fix your poll. It is missing Texas. ;)

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Berkeley.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:32 pm

Has she been looking for jobs? I'd look to see where she can get a nursing job first. Michigan's medical school is ranked 6 and Chicago's med school is ranked 13. (Berkeley doesn't have a medical school nor hospital so you'd have to look off campus.) Both Michigan and Chicago have large, top ranked medical centers/hospitals, but you should see what places are hiring.
Last edited by fortissimo on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavebat2000

Postby cavebat2000 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:34 pm

emrose wrote:

Also, if her supposedly extreme unhappiness (she will get over it) is making this decision SO LOPSIDED to pass up a full-ride + stipend at darrow, then it sounds like your basically letting her decide anyway. If that's the case, then let her pick and wash your hands of it.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:34 pm

fortissimo wrote:Has she been looking for jobs? I'd look to see where she can get a nursing job first. Michigan's medical school is ranked 6 and Chicago's med school is ranked 13. I think they both have large, top ranked medical centers/hospitals, but you should see what places are hiring.

I don't know a LOT about nursing, but how does a ranking for a medical school correlate with nursing jobs?

I can tell you the Bay Area has a lot of hospitals to work at including Stanford, UCSF, California Pacific Medical Center, then all the places like Kaiser, etc.

ipaik

Postby ipaik » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:35 pm

I think all of these are excellent options.. and having been a student at both Chicago and Michigan (not both for law school), I would say that Chicago has a higher cost of living for sure. Gas is super expensive. Public transportation is also expensive. Sales tax is over 10%. If you're thinking of having a car, paying for parking all over the city is expensive. Apartment prices may be about the same. So if your primary concern is money, I'd go with Michigan. But I suppose this could be offset by the prospect of your SO finding a job. And also another point to consider... that you haven't really mentioned here... is the atmosphere of the two schools. Every school attracts a certain type of personality. This could have a huge impact on how happy you are.

Also, I'm a married law student so I understand how important it is to make your SO happy. Your SO not having a job might be a major problem (As I was for my SO when I was unemployed) so I guess ultimately it's a trade-off!

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:36 pm

I think you need to put yourself first here. If she hates Ann Arbor so much, nothing's stopping her from living and working elsewhere while you're in law school. Full ride to Mich is a lot of money.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:12 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:
emrose wrote:

Also, if her supposedly extreme unhappiness (she will get over it) is making this decision SO LOPSIDED to pass up a full-ride + stipend at darrow, then it sounds like your basically letting her decide anyway. If that's the case, then let her pick and wash your hands of it.

This is an over-simplified way of looking at it. He's saying his SO's happiness is important, but it's obviously not the only important factor in this decision.

Also, Michigan is a great school, but Chicago does have it's advantages. During the boom days, Chicago was placing about double the percent of graduates (~65-70% to ~30-35%) in Vault 50 firms, and the disparity grows as you look at even more selective firms. Granted, those were the boom days, but if OCI information for 2009 is correct, there's still a substantial gap between CCN and MVP for V100 and above. Chicago's smaller class size is also something that shouldn't be overlooked ITE (just look at how Stanford has done relative to HLS this year), especially since firms may be cutting back summer class sizes but still want to maintain hiring relationships with top schools.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:17 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
cavebat2000 wrote:
emrose wrote:

This is an over-simplified way of looking at it. He's saying his SO's happiness is important, but it's obviously not the only important factor in this decision.

Also, Michigan is a great school, but Chicago does have it's advantages. During the boom days, Chicago was placing about double the percent of graduates (~65-70% to ~30-35%) in Vault 50 firms, and the disparity grows as you look at even more selective firms. Granted, those were the boom days, but if OCI information for 2009 is correct, there's still a substantial gap between CCN and MVP for V100 and above. Chicago's smaller class size is also something that shouldn't be overlooked ITE (just look at how Stanford has done relative to HLS this year), especially since firms may be cutting back summer class sizes but still want to maintain hiring relationships with top schools.

I'm guessing we're both biased as hell, but I agree with AA.

Btw, cya next year AA. :D

Return to “Choosing a Law School”