Michigan ($$$) vs. Chicago ($$) - Now with extra confusion!! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Mich vs. Chicago

Mich (full tuition with one-time $7.5K stipend)
44%
Chicago ($90K)
33%
BoalTTT ($135k)
23%

Total votes: 115

soullesswonder

Silver

Re: Michigan ($$$) vs. Chicago ($$)

Post by soullesswonder » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:44 pm

emrose wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:If you feel that at age 32 you are too old to be slaving away as a junior associate in a BigLaw work environment, then I am not sure that you are going to enjoy the University of Chicago Law School.
Well, I'm preparing myself for 3 years of pretty intense work at LS wherever I go, I'm just not sure that I'm up for another 5 years of the same (or worse, since I anticipate at least some of my work at school will be interesting and engaging, whereas document review? not so much) once school is over.
soullesswonder wrote:
IIRC, emrose is married. If you like the idea of academia and you want to clerk straight out of school, I think Chicago is the better option. Yeah, the debt difference is significant (Karla Vargas's confidence on Wedneday aside), but it should be manageable. It sounded like Chicago had a really good support system for aspiring academics and I think the value of being with such notable faculty is a huge bonus.

You didn't mention this in your OP, but I know you were concerned about being "the old guy" at the LS. I don't think that's going to be a problem for you, but if you're concerned about this Hyde Park seemed like a great community for young artists, academics, and professionals. You'd definitely have more opportunities to meet people outside the law school if you wanted an alternative to the Green Room scene.
Thanks soullesswonder. I actually think Mich has really been working on their support system for academia a lot in the past few years, but I don't doubt that Chi's reputation and faculty might make it a stronger choice with academia in mind. I'm not sure that I'd live in Hyde Park, but it does seem like Chicago has a huge community of young professionals and others around my age.

What did you think of ASD by the way? Set on Chi?

Thanks everyone for the kind words!
I thought the ASD was good, but I wasn't blown away, and given my circumstances I think I needed to be blown away. Chicago's strength is best felt in NYC/Chi/DC/LA, and since I don't currently plan to work in those places (or anywhere in the Midwest, where I'm sure Chicago dominates), I wouldn't benefit much from OCI or the alumni. It's definitely a great school and a very special place, and I think I would have enjoyed my three years there, but by the end of my ten hour drive back home I knew that it wasn't for me.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:52 pm

really (overly) simplistic way of looking at it:

while i'm sure the quality of student isn't alllll that different, you've got to assume the competition at UoC (especially given its rep) will be at least a little stiffer right?

So, AEBE, better competition = greater chance of being below median.

Greater chance of being below median + more debt, when choice is between two top tier schools anway, = UMich.

that being said, the difference in debt isn't huuuuuge, but you might not think in those terms if somehow u fall below median at UoC and don't get a biglaw job to pay it all back...

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:22 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote:really (overly) simplistic way of looking at it:

while i'm sure the quality of student isn't alllll that different, you've got to assume the competition at UoC (especially given its rep) will be at least a little stiffer right?

Greater chance of being below median + more debt, when choice is between two top tier schools anway, = UMich.

that being said, the difference in debt isn't huuuuuge, but you might not think in those terms if somehow u fall below median at UoC and don't get a biglaw job to pay it all back...
This is actually a big part of my decision. Of course it is pure speculation, and maybe I'd do better (for whatever reason) at UoC, but it seems that the competition at Chicago would be stiffer. I would be hoping to think about this more in terms of grading on to law review rather than being in above or below median if I want a clerkship at the end of ths, but who knows what will happen once classes start.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:26 pm

With your goals and situation, I would go Darrow and see if you can convince the SO on AA front. There is a way better chance you end up in PI/gov't/small law than academia (since you say you don't want BigLaw) no matter which school you go to. And since you are married, "free school" would likely be a better help to your family (do you plan to have kids?) in the long run than being tied down with debt.

Although I wouldn't kick BigLaw to the curb because of your age. I know a college prof who quit teaching and went to law school in his mid-late 30's and did the BigLaw thing (he was also married with kids).

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:16 pm

keg411 wrote:With your goals and situation, I would go Darrow and see if you can convince the SO on AA front. There is a way better chance you end up in PI/gov't/small law than academia (since you say you don't want BigLaw) no matter which school you go to. And since you are married, "free school" would likely be a better help to your family (do you plan to have kids?) in the long run than being tied down with debt.

Although I wouldn't kick BigLaw to the curb because of your age. I know a college prof who quit teaching and went to law school in his mid-late 30's and did the BigLaw thing (he was also married with kids).
I think Fed IBR really has changed the game a bit here with regards to PI and Gov't work, and while I haven't looked closely at the particulars of Chicago's LRAP they say it's only going to get better (and the changes will apply to this year's class whenever they do come out).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fancy Pants

Bronze

Post by Fancy Pants » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:40 pm

keg411 wrote:(do you plan to have kids?)
He better. You've no idea how adorable emma's kids would be. Denying the world emma's offspring would be a crime against humanity.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:08 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:
keg411 wrote:(do you plan to have kids?)
He better. You've no idea how adorable emma's kids would be. Denying the world emma's offspring would be a crime against humanity.
Hahaha <3

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:16 pm

Last edited by nygrrrl on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:45 pm

Come to the darkside. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:49 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:really (overly) simplistic way of looking at it:

I think Chicago's lower class size might help that. I'm guessing that someone slightly below median at Chi is in a better place than at median or slightly above median at Michigan. There are less students in Chicago and it is (arguably) a better school. This is all conjecture though.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Post fail
Last edited by tamlyric on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:12 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Come to the darkside. :D
This thread needs a little more light in it. 8)

Joan Hollaway

Silver

Post by Joan Hollaway » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:17 pm

tamlyric wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Come to the darkside. :D
This thread needs a little more light in it. 8)

hahaha<3

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:24 pm

At the risk of alienating Tam I voted Chicago based mostly on the fact that your SO doesn't want to live in AA...your relationship will outlast law school, outlast the reputation, outlast your debt (hopefully) so I would think strongly about living in a place your SO isn't thrilled about. Granted, she may learn to love AA...
Last edited by Slimpee on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:25 pm

If your SO can't find a job/is miserable in AA, you will not be happy either. Go to Chicago.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:25 pm

I'm sure someone's going to shoot me for this, but can't you and SO live apart for three years while you're in law school? I know it's going to be tough, but full tuition+$7.5k stipend is pretty hard to pass up, especially given your other option.

You don't have to break up, you just have to do the long distance thing for a while.

Personally, I'd go where I want, regardless of what my SO wants, and make the relationship work. It's irrational for you to decide on or against a law school just because your SO doesn't like the area. I should not have to sacrifice what I want for my SO and I don't expect my SO to sacrifice what they want for me.

Perhaps this is the reason I don't have a SO (apart from age).

Then again, my goal is Chicago biglaw, so Mich and UofC are essentially equivalent.
Last edited by motiontodismiss on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mochafury

Bronze

Post by mochafury » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:26 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:He better. You've no idea how adorable emma's kids would be. Denying the world emma's offspring would be a crime against humanity.
ITT people straight guys feel uncomfortable when they realize that emrose is an irl dude...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:28 pm

mochafury wrote:
boo jersey shore wrote:He better. You've no idea how adorable emma's kids would be. Denying the world emma's offspring would be a crime against humanity.
ITT people straight guys feel uncomfortable when they realize that emrose is an irl dude...
:lol: And a strikingly handsome one at that... :oops:

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Go to Chicago. Who needs light anyway?

*mumbles to himself* My...preciousssss...

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:31 pm

Isn't that basically the Chicago equivalent of a full ride (since they don't give any)? Nice!

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:37 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
Then again, my goal is Chicago biglaw, so Mich and UofC are essentially equivalent.
Thou shalt not dismisseth the law of "self-selection"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

black celebration

New

Post by black celebration » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:11 pm

The Brainalist wrote:Isn't that basically the Chicago equivalent of a full ride (since they don't give any)? Nice!
This is actually an excellent point. Although the real-world cost difference between the two schools is still very legit, you should be able to pick Chicago (if it's what your heart desires) and not feel too worried about it. It's an amazing school which produces a LOT of successful graduates -- and almost every one of them will be graduating with much, much more debt than you. And they still do just fine for themselves.

I am in a similar position (full ride in Ann Arbor vs. not-full ride at a peer school I like more), and I am leaning towards the latter, my significant other being a big part of that. SO is not excited about Ann Arbor...so I feel you there.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:23 pm

Chicago does indeed give out full rides. Although it's the most rare of any of CCN. I believe one person who has posted in this thread was a recipient of one.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:44 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:
mochafury wrote:
Fancy Pants and I know Emma quite well, and know that he is a dude. We would both sleep with him if given the chance. Maybe at the same time.
so hawt! :lol:

black celebration

New

Post by black celebration » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:57 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Chicago does indeed give out full rides. Although it's the most rare of any of CCN. I believe one person who has posted in this thread was a recipient of one.
Ah, I stand corrected. Oh well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”