Just got a big scholly offer from a t2... help =/

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Not-A-Teabagger

Re: Just got a big scholly offer from a t2... help =/

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:05 am

Go to Georgetown! Oh wait you're Sibley. Never-mind then, just go to whichever law school you feel will advance your lawsuit. j/k, good luck!

Steve Zissou

Postby Steve Zissou » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:18 pm

BLS website wrote:Original merit scholarships are renewable in full for each subsequent year of enrollment, provided that you maintain a cumulative academic rank within the upper 40% of your graduating class (all full-time and part-time students with a common anticipated graduation date) at the end of each spring semester.

If you complete the first year of study with a rank below the required 40% level, but still within the upper 50% of your graduating class, you will retain 80% of your original scholarship for your second year.
If, instead, you finish the first year with a rank below the 50% level, but within the upper 65% of your graduating class, you will retain 55% of your original scholarship for your second year.
At the end of the second year of law school, the same standards will again be applied to determine the amount of your scholarship for the third year:

If you fell below the upper 40% of your graduating class at the end of the first year, but improve in your second year to finish the year with a cumulative rank in the upper 40%, your scholarship will be restored to 100% of the amount you received in your first year.
If you fall below the 40% level, but cumulatively rank within the upper 50% of the graduating class, you will receive 80% of your first-year scholarship.
If you fall below the 50% level, but cumulatively rank within the upper 65% of the class, you will receive 55% of your first-year scholarship.

Steve Zissou

Postby Steve Zissou » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:20 pm

BLS website wrote:SCHOLARSHIP RENEWAL STATISTICS

At the end of the spring 2009 semester, the Law School's Scholarship Committee determined which first-year merit scholarship students were eligible to retain all or part of their scholarships for the next academic year.

Renewal decisions were based on class rank, which was determined by cumulative first-year grade point average. The current statistics will give you an approximate idea of what GPAs will be required for scholarship renewal and what percentage of students will be eligible for second-year renewal.

When considering these results, keep in mind that each class is different, but that there are normally only small year-to-year differences in the GPA cut-offs that determine the class rank standards set forth below.

Portion of Scholarship Renewed: 100%
Class Rank Required: Upper 40%
Approximate GPA Cut-Off: 3.221
Number of Scholars Renewed: 102
Percentage of First-Year Scholars: 47%

Portion of Scholarship Renewed: 80%
Class Rank Required: Upper 50%
Approximate GPA Cut-Off: 3.116
Number of Scholars Renewed: 24
Percentage of First-Year Scholars: 11%

Portion of Scholarship Renewed: 55%
Class Rank Required: Upper 65%
Approximate GPA Cut-Off: 2.975
Number of Scholars Renewed: 32
Percentage of First-Year Scholars: 15%

Portion of Scholarship Renewed: 0%
Class Rank: Below 65%
Approximate GPA Cut-Off: Below 2.965
Number of Scholars Not Renewed: 58
Percentage of First-Year Scholars Not Renewed: 27%

Spring 2009 Cumulative Renewal Rate: 73%

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:21 pm

I also just got offered this same deal from Brooklyn law after depositing at W&L. Please let me know if oyu have any luck removing the stipulations at Brooklyn.

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:23 pm

sibley wrote:
OneKnight wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Does "3 years guaranteed housing" mean they'll pay for your housing in NYC? If so that's insane, holy shit. I'd take that kind of deal. You're looking at potentially graduating from Brooklyn for practically free.

Top 1/3 stipulation is a big no, though. Tell them you'll accept if they remove the top 1/3 stipulation and see what they say.

TITCR

No, they won't pay for housing. They'll just give me housing in their apartments, which are a good deal (pretty nice, comparatively cheap).

I think I'll email and ask if they'll loosen or remove the stipulations. My biggest fear with stips is that I go there, I do badly, I lose my scholarship, and I can't transfer anywhere else due to doing badly. At GW doing badly is much less of a risk. I'll probably still be able to find a job, and I'll probably still get 15k off each year.

They said that they will give a $5,000 stipulation if you choose not to live in their housing. that would be about 5 months including utilities for me in NYC

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:34 pm

GordonBombay wrote:
sibley wrote:
OneKnight wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Does "3 years guaranteed housing" mean they'll pay for your housing in NYC? If so that's insane, holy shit. I'd take that kind of deal. You're looking at potentially graduating from Brooklyn for practically free.

Top 1/3 stipulation is a big no, though. Tell them you'll accept if they remove the top 1/3 stipulation and see what they say.

TITCR

No, they won't pay for housing. They'll just give me housing in their apartments, which are a good deal (pretty nice, comparatively cheap).

I think I'll email and ask if they'll loosen or remove the stipulations. My biggest fear with stips is that I go there, I do badly, I lose my scholarship, and I can't transfer anywhere else due to doing badly. At GW doing badly is much less of a risk. I'll probably still be able to find a job, and I'll probably still get 15k off each year.

They said that they will give a $5,000 STIPEND if you choose not to live in their housing. that would be about 5 months including utilities for me in NYC

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:51 pm

Got a response re: removing stips today.

I understand your concerns. Please note that our scholarship retention requirements are slightly different from what you stated below. To retain your full scholarship one must be in the top 40% of the class; and there are provisions to keep part of the scholarship if one’s ranking is below that. Please refer to the document we mailed you outlining the retention requirements.

We only award scholarships to candidates we predict will do well; which we think you will.

Our scholarship retention requirements are the same for all students and are not negotiable.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:00 pm

If you hate debt, then you know what to do.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:01 pm

Steve Zissou wrote:
BLS website wrote:SCHOLARSHIP RENEWAL STATISTICS

At the end of the spring 2009 semester, the Law School's Scholarship Committee determined which first-year merit scholarship students were eligible to retain all or part of their scholarships for the next academic year.

Renewal decisions were based on class rank, which was determined by cumulative first-year grade point average. The current statistics will give you an approximate idea of what GPAs will be required for scholarship renewal and what percentage of students will be eligible for second-year renewal.

When considering these results, keep in mind that each class is different, but that there are normally only small year-to-year differences in the GPA cut-offs that determine the class rank standards set forth below.

Portion of Scholarship Renewed: 100%
Class Rank Required: Upper 40%
Approximate GPA Cut-Off: 3.221
Number of Scholars Renewed: 102
Percentage of First-Year Scholars: 47%

Portion of Scholarship Renewed: 80%
Class Rank Required: Upper 50%
Approximate GPA Cut-Off: 3.116
Number of Scholars Renewed: 24
Percentage of First-Year Scholars: 11%

Portion of Scholarship Renewed: 55%
Class Rank Required: Upper 65%
Approximate GPA Cut-Off: 2.975
Number of Scholars Renewed: 32
Percentage of First-Year Scholars: 15%

Portion of Scholarship Renewed: 0%
Class Rank: Below 65%
Approximate GPA Cut-Off: Below 2.965
Number of Scholars Not Renewed: 58
Percentage of First-Year Scholars Not Renewed: 27%

Spring 2009 Cumulative Renewal Rate: 73%

This makes no sense FYI. If you are at the 51% mark you get both 80%, 55%, and 0%. Does that mean you get 135%? Or am I reading this wrong?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:05 pm

Sibley, this sounds like a heck of a deal. If you can get the stip removed, I think I'd take it.

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:06 pm

You're reading it wrong. If you are in the top 40% you get the whole amount, but if in the top 50% you get 80% of the original amount, and if in the top 65% you get just 55% of the original amount.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:08 pm

@lostjake:
You are interpreting the chart incorrectly. A scholarship student just making the top 50% of the class will retain 80% of his or her scholarship grant for the next academic year.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:Sibley, this sounds like a heck of a deal. If you can get the stip removed, I think I'd take it.

nearly full tuition + 5k living at Brooklyn over 15k no stips at GW?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:14 pm

Two words. Bed Stuy.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:16 pm

sibley wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Sibley, this sounds like a heck of a deal. If you can get the stip removed, I think I'd take it.

nearly full tuition + 5k living at Brooklyn over 15k no stips at GW?

30-40k in debt vs. 150-160k in debt? That's really what you're looking at.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:29 pm

Take the scholarship, gun your ass off, and drop out if you don't make the cut drop out. Less than 15K debt if you fail.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Take the scholarship, gun your ass off, and drop out if you don't make the cut drop out. Less than 15K debt if you fail.

this sounds like advice for someone who just kinda feels like going to law school might be a neat thing to do.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:08 pm

sibley wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Take the scholarship, gun your ass off, and drop out if you don't make the cut drop out. Less than 15K debt if you fail.

this sounds like advice for someone who just kinda feels like going to law school might be a neat thing to do.

I'd rather be in the bottom of the class after 1 almost free year at Brooklyn than be in the bottom of the class after 1 expensive year at GW.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:09 pm

sibley wrote:

It's the advice of someone who wants to be a lawyer, but not work in shit law while not being able to cover interest payments on his massive debt.

Following your dreams is great, unless it puts you in life ruining debt.

If you want to be a lawyer so bad, gun your ass off and make top 1/3. If you can't get top 1/3 you won't be able to get a decent job from GWU ITE economy anyway.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”