Georgia State ($$) vs Georgia (no money, but still in state)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GSU ($$) vs UGA (no money, but still in state)

GSU
31%
UGA
69%

Total votes: 29

moviechicka

Georgia State ($$) vs Georgia (no money, but still in state)

Postby moviechicka » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:04 pm

I thought I made up my mind. I was set on UGA, but GSU just offered me a pretty nice scholarship. I live in Atlanta & the cost of living wouldn't really be an issue. UGA has a significantly higher ranking, but the money from GSU has me a little worried about debt. What to do?

iShotFirst

Re: Georgia State ($$) vs Georgia (no money, but still in state)

Postby iShotFirst » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:08 pm

UGA in state is so cheap, debt sucks but you get so much more bang for your buck from UGA than GSU. Sounds like you will still be paying a bit at GSU. Unless you have great legal connections in Atlanta I would take UGA.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:11 pm

People do backflips when they get scholarships at worse schools than Georgia that still leave their COL being higher than UGA in-state.

UGA does terrific in Atlanta.

Go for it.

bigben

Postby bigben » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:20 pm

Take the money, you fool. (Assuming there is a substantial difference in cost).

sbsitter

Postby sbsitter » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:25 pm

It depends on what your plans are. If you want Big Law in Atlanta then UGA is the obvious choice. GSU might be the better choice if you want to do some public interest work and debt will be an issue. I think you also need to decide where you want to live for the next 3 years. Atlanta or Athens?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:44 am

sbsitter wrote:It depends on what your plans are. If you want Big Law in Atlanta then UGA is the obvious choice. GSU might be the better choice if you want to do some public interest work and debt will be an issue. I think you also need to decide where you want to live for the next 3 years. Atlanta or Athens?

even with public interest, going to the flagship state school will help tremendously with networking.

i think a lot of the people here suggesting gsu over uga don't realize how cheap in-state tuition is for uga. in-state sticker at uga is essentialy like having a 90K+ scholarship at other schools

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:46 am

bigben wrote:Take the money, you fool. (Assuming there is a substantial difference in cost).

sticker at uga vs $$ at gsu is probably something like $30K over 3 years.

moviechicka

Postby moviechicka » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:31 am

f0bolous wrote:
sbsitter wrote:It depends on what your plans are. If you want Big Law in Atlanta then UGA is the obvious choice. GSU might be the better choice if you want to do some public interest work and debt will be an issue. I think you also need to decide where you want to live for the next 3 years. Atlanta or Athens?

even with public interest, going to the flagship state school will help tremendously with networking.

i think a lot of the people here suggesting gsu over uga don't realize how cheap in-state tuition is for uga. in-state sticker at uga is essentialy like having a 90K+ scholarship at other schools

True, but I'll only be paying like 6K a year with my scholarship at GSU. They also have partial tuition assistantship waivers and stipends for the 2nd and 3rd years. We'll see. I have a week to make my decision. UGA's a significantly better school, but I already have a mountain of debt from grad school.

I always wanted to do Entertainment Law/IP because my background is as an assistant director and in magazine publishing. I would honestly probably be happier working in the legal department of a network or studio than doing big law. I might even want to parlay the degree into producing. The film market in GA has grown massively so there is a market for it.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:23 am

moviechicka wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

True, but I'll only be paying like 6K a year with my scholarship at GSU. They also have partial tuition assistantship waivers and stipends for the 2nd and 3rd years. We'll see. I have a week to make my decision. UGA's a significantly better school, but I already have a mountain of debt from grad school.

I always wanted to do Entertainment Law/IP because my background is as an assistant director and in magazine publishing. I would honestly probably be happier working in the legal department of a network or studio than doing big law. I might even want to parlay the degree into producing. The film market in GA has grown massively so there is a market for it.

if you're entertaining the thought of going into private practice, then UGA hands down. I would only attend GSU if you already have strong legal connections that could get you a job AND had a need to stay in Atlanta for the 3 years. With IBR, debt shouldn't be as big a concern.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”