Northwestern AJD $125k scholarship offer Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gerghk

New

Northwestern AJD $125k scholarship offer

Post by gerghk » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:10 pm

Okay this isn't as obvious as it seems.

I applied and got accepted to the regular JD program at NU, and have been trying to squeeze a scholarship out of them.

Today they got back to me offering a $125,000 scholarship, except it is specifically for the AJD program. The problem is, I'm still at Stanford doing my MS, I have 12 credits left and won't be out until June 13. It's logistically impossible for me to start the AJD in mid-may.

Argghh this is so frustrating!

Diamond

Re: Northwestern AJD $125k scholarship offer

Post by 09042014 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:13 pm

gerghk wrote:Okay this isn't as obvious as it seems.

I applied and got accepted to the regular JD program at NU, and have been trying to squeeze a scholarship out of them.

Today they got back to me offering a $125,000 scholarship, except it is specifically for the AJD program. The problem is, I'm still at Stanford doing my MS, I have 12 credits left and won't be out until June 13. It's logistically impossible for me to start the AJD in mid-may.

MS in what, and what are your other scholarship offers?

gerghk

New

Post by gerghk » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Electrical Engineering, I'm most interested in technology law, so I'd think the MS would be worth something for me in the future.
My only other scholarship offer is $45k from Penn, still waiting on Duke and Cornell, and sent an appeal to NYU.
Last edited by gerghk on Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:19 pm

gerghk wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Electrical Engineering, I'm most interested in technology law, so I'd think the MS would be worth something for me in the future.
My only other scholarship offer is $45k from Penn, still waiting on Duke and Cornell, and sent an appeal to NYU
Yea I'd give my left nut for a Stanford MSEE.

Forward the scholarship offer to Penn see if they will play ball.

gerghk

New

Post by gerghk » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
gerghk wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

My only other scholarship offer is $45k from Penn, still waiting on Duke and Cornell, and sent an appeal to NYU

i'm hesitant to use this offer to negotiate though cuz it expires on Monday and i can't even actually accept it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:26 pm

Do you have to be at Northwestern for the classes that start in May? I don't remember exactly but I thought they were taught remotely.

Edit: yeah the first class is taught online.

"Enrolled Accelerated JD students will complete an online, pre-term course, Introduction to Law and Lawyering, prior to their arrival on campus."
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academi ... culum.html

I am thinking that this is the class that starts in May. Otherwise people would probably have to be taking the class right now :)

I think the classes which require you to be on campus start in the middle of June. The 21st, I think.

I was seriously considering this option earlier this year. My classes for UG are not over until the 22nd of May though (I don't graduate until the 30th!). When I spoke to the NU rep at my UG's law school day, she said I would not have to be on campus for and extended period until later in the summer.
Last edited by swc65 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:28 pm

gerghk wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
gerghk wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

i'm hesitant to use this offer to negotiate though cuz it expires on Monday and i can't even actually accept it.
I think you need to get over that. I'd call Penn's admissions and talk to the admissions dean right now. It is getting late. They don't need to know you can't take it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”