Any reason for me to consider Seton Hall?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to go?

Pitt ($12k/year scholarship + need-aid) total cost of attendance: $87,656
36%
Temple (no scholarship + no need-aid) COA: $111,840
27%
Seton Hall ($25k/year scholarship) COA: $118, 755
36%

Total votes: 11

smartin

Any reason for me to consider Seton Hall?

Postby smartin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:05 pm

I got an admission packet from Seton Hall last night which included a Presidential Scholarship of $25,000/year as long as I maintain top 50%. That would bring tuition and fees down to $17,000/year (Is it just me or does 42 grand seem like an outrageous amount for a program with that rank?).

This throws a wrench into the works because I had pretty much narrowed my options down to Temple or Pitt. I have a unique situation where I might get in-state rates at those schools, but nothing can be guaranteed until I deposit and petition over the summer.

I don't really care where I practice (Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, or Jersey), I am very adaptable. I like both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia (and have lived in each), but I have more connections to the later (Fly, Eagles, Fly!). Right now, I'm interested in public interest, government work, or a clerkship after graduation (I know this may change) and one day I wish to be a judge.

I haven't visited Seton Hall or Newark, and I really expected a quicker answer so that the option would be available before I had to deposit elsewhere (Temple & Pitt have both extended my deadline till next Friday). Should I be considering Seton Hall at all? Is there anything that gives it more value than Temple or Pitt?
Last edited by smartin on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazycanuck

Re: Any reason for me to consider Seton Hall?

Postby crazycanuck » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:07 pm

Well, the first thing you should consider, is that the Philly Flyers suck.

smartin

Postby smartin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:10 pm

crazycanuck wrote:Well, the first thing you should consider, is that the Philly Flyers suck.

I think I can deal with that. At least, your not talking smack about my Eagles.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:23 pm

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:26 pm

I did it myself. :wink: It's just not right to flame an important life decision like this. My conscience got the better of me.

If you decide to go, choose Temple or Pitt with the cash. I'd probably pick Temple.

smartin

Postby smartin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:48 pm

holydonkey wrote:I did it myself. :wink: It's just not right to flame an important life decision like this. My conscience got the better of me.

Oh, I guess I missed something on my own thread. But I do appreciate you staying on topic. :)

If you decide to go, choose Temple or Pitt with the cash. I'd probably pick Temple.[/quote]

Why'd you pick the more expensive option? I'm curious. Is it's reputation that much better? Or do you think I'd be happier as a Philadelphia sports fan being around my own kind?

smartin

Postby smartin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:49 pm

Z3RO wrote:Whoa, did his post really just get deleted?

http://law.shu.edu/ProspectiveStudents/prospective_jd_students/Career-Stats.cfm

Can I trust SH's self-reported numbers? They get bashed a lot on TLS...

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:50 pm

smartin wrote:Why'd you pick the more expensive option? I'm curious. Is it's reputation that much better? Or do you think I'd be happier as a Philadelphia sports fan being around my own kind?

I thought when you said "connections" you meant employment/family connections, so I voted for Temple despite the cost. Did you try negotiating with Temple using the Pitt scholarship? Otherwise, go to the cheaper school (which would be Pitt).

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:53 pm

smartin wrote:
holydonkey wrote:If you decide to go, choose Temple or Pitt with the cash. I'd probably pick Temple.
Why'd you pick the more expensive option? I'm curious. Is it's reputation that much better? Or do you think I'd be happier as a Philadelphia sports fan being around my own kind?
I think Temple Law has a slightly better name even though Pitt is ranked slightly higher. Being in Philly will probably offer you more opportunities than Pittsburg. Temple places 16.2% of grads in nlj250 firms, better than its rank and #42 nationally and Pitt isn't in the top 50. http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf Philly is a cooler city than Pittsburg.
Last edited by holydonkey on Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smartin

Postby smartin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:56 pm

keg411 wrote:
smartin wrote:
holydonkey wrote:I did it myself. :wink: It's just not right to flame an important life decision like this. My conscience got the better of me.

Oh, I guess I missed something on my own thread. But I do appreciate you staying on topic. :)

If you decide to go, choose Temple or Pitt with the cash. I'd probably pick Temple.

I thought when you said "connections" you meant employment/family connections, so I voted for Temple despite the cost. Did you try negotiating with Temple using the Pitt scholarship? Otherwise, go to the cheaper school (which would be Pitt).[/quote]

By connections I mean I have family and friends who live in or close to the city. I don't have any professional connections there/I'm not related to any practicing lawyers.

I did send an email, as the Assistant Director of Admissions suggested, requesting that my file be reconsidered because of scholarship offers from Pitt and Penn State. I visited the school on Monday and she said that I should hear by the end of the week. They have yet to get back to me.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:58 pm

smartin wrote:
Z3RO wrote:Whoa, did his post really just get deleted?

http://law.shu.edu/ProspectiveStudents/prospective_jd_students/Career-Stats.cfm
Can I trust SH's self-reported numbers?
Not at all.

smartin

Postby smartin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:58 pm

holydonkey wrote:
smartin wrote:
holydonkey wrote:If you decide to go, choose Temple or Pitt with the cash. I'd probably pick Temple.
I think Temple Law has a slightly better name even though Pitt is ranked slightly higher. Being in Philly will probably offer you more opportunities than Pittsburg. Temple places 16.2% of grads in nlj250 firms, better than its rank and #42 nationally and Pitt isn't in the top 50. http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf Philly is a cooler city than Pittsburg.

Philly is cooler than P-burgh, especially since I'll be downgrading from the awesome District of Columbia. Thanks doe the nlj data -- I've been so concerned with PI/clerkship data, I didn't even think to look there.

smartin

Postby smartin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:54 pm

Does anyone who voted for Seton Hall care to share why? It gets trashed a lot on this site, and it would be the most expensive of three?

I'm really just so stuck between Philly and Pittsburgh. For each negative I can list a positive. Ugh.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”