Northwestern vs. Duke (60K at both)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Duke, Northwestern, or neither?

Duke
32%
Northwestern
51%
Neither
17%

Total votes: 71

fortissimo

Re: Northwestern vs. Duke (60K at both)

Postby fortissimo » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:09 pm

How old are you? That answers your question.
p.s. Older people are by far the biggest gunners in law school. Most of the people who "booked" classes at my law school have been older. They are more efficient than straight out of ugrads and can work longer hours.

LAguy

Postby LAguy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:00 am

Thanks for all the help, thought I should clarify a few things people mentioned.

Chicago is also with 30K, not sticker.

I have visited Chicago, NU, and Penn twice each. Have also visited Duke but before I was admitted. Had great experiences at Duke and Penn, pretty good at NU though I feel like the aforementioned marriage/age factor makes it seem a little boring and less of a community. I went to a huge undergrad, so I'm really looking forward to the tight-knit LS thing. Of course I will meet people outside of LS, but that doesn't change the fact that I'll be spending a ton of time with the people I got to school with, especially 1L. This is important to me in terms of making good friends/finding a girlfriend.

I have some political as well as other career aspirations outside corporate law, which leans in favor of Duke/Penn for lay prestige factor.

I want to work west coast, chicago, or texas, definitely not NYC or the south. From what I have heard, I would be fine in these markets regardless which school I went too.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:57 pm

Yeah, sounds like you are leaning Duke, or Penn. If it weren't for your market interests it'd be a little easier. Penn and Duke I think both feed into NYC. Not very many go to Chicago nor the West Coast. I'd probably go to one of those too though, but I was straight out of ugrad so NU would definitely not be a good fit for me. (I didn't apply to NU not that I had a shot with no WE.)

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:05 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yea I live in the burbs, and have very hit or miss knowledge of the city. I work there, but I only know about a few of the neighborhoods.
So far re Chicago neighborhoods I've learned:

Streetervile - best
Loop - central downtown
Wrigleyville - fun
Hyde Park - desolate
Cabrini Green - Good Times

TITCR, From the burbs but went to LUC and have been in the city the past five years, I would add to the poster who said they were gonna live in Rogers Park to avoid it if they can it is a pretty miserable neighborhood (lived there during UG). Also, Lincoln Park is awesome if you NU folks are looking for cool neighborhoods.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:24 pm

jcunni5 wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yea I live in the burbs, and have very hit or miss knowledge of the city. I work there, but I only know about a few of the neighborhoods.

Streetervile - best
Loop - central downtown
Wrigleyville - fun
Hyde Park - desolate

TITCR, From the burbs but went to LUC and have been in the city the past five years, I would add to the poster who said they were gonna live in Rogers Park to avoid it if they can it is a pretty miserable neighborhood (lived there during UG). Also, Lincoln Park is awesome if you NU folks are looking for cool neighborhoods.

Could you elaborate on Rogers Park? I mean, I live in Washington Heights, NY right now, so it really can't be worse...

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:13 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
jcunni5 wrote:
NayBoer wrote:

Streetervile - best
Loop - central downtown
Wrigleyville - fun
Hyde Park - desolate

Could you elaborate on Rogers Park? I mean, I live in Washington Heights, NY right now, so it really can't be worse...

I pm'ed you

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:09 pm

I just noticed I called it Streetervile, which sounds like what a jealous and petty UChi student would call it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”