Northwestern vs. Duke (60K at both)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Duke, Northwestern, or neither?

Duke
32%
Northwestern
51%
Neither
17%

Total votes: 71

LAguy

Northwestern vs. Duke (60K at both)

Postby LAguy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:17 pm

I am in need of some serious advice, deadlines are coming up!

Northwestern
Pros: Quality of life in Chicago, one of my favorite cities in the country. Also the opportunity to see if I would like to begin my career there rather than in my home state. The ability to get by without a car. I also like the practical/business focus of the school and the Kellogg opportunities.

Cons: The married school. This totally takes away from the social/dating scene, which is something that is important to me in choosing a law school. Much higher cost of living=much more debt, very important to me but not sure how much this adds up to.

Duke
Pros: Awesome weather, low cost of living. What I perceive as a funner/more single student body.

Cons: Quality of life, the research triangle is not Chicago. Also would have to buy a car, which sucks in terms of money and having to deal with the added burden/expense.

Other options: Chicago or UPenn with 30K.

Thanks in advance, any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Re: Northwestern vs. Duke (60K at both)

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:23 pm

LAguy wrote:I am in need of some serious advice, deadlines are coming up!

Northwestern
Pros: Quality of life in Chicago, one of my favorite cities in the country. Also the opportunity to see if I would like to begin my career there rather than in my home state. The ability to get by without a car. I also like the practical/business focus of the school and the Kellogg opportunities.

Cons: The married school. This totally takes away from the social/dating scene, which is something that is important to me in choosing a law school. Much higher cost of living=much more debt, very important to me but not sure how much this adds up to.

Duke
Pros: Awesome weather, low cost of living. What I perceive as a funner/more single student body.

Cons: Quality of life, the research triangle is not Chicago. Also would have to buy a car, which sucks in terms of money and having to deal with the added burden/expense.

Other options: Chicago or UPenn with 30K.

Thanks in advance, any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

There are hundreds of thousands of single women in Chicago. If you come to NU, we'll go trolling at Loyola undergrad ok? If that's really what is holding you back its not a problem. Dating within your law school is a horrible mistake from what I hear.

Where do you want to work? That would have significant implications on where you should go.

Though to be honest, I'd go to Chicago.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:27 pm

Well, let's start by noting that you really can't go wrong with either choice here. These schools are peer schools, and with the same exact scholarships you're in a comfortable financial situation -- at least more comfortable than most T-14 students. In my opinion, though, this choice is better looked at as Duke with 60k and U-Chicago with 30k. Your reasons for wanting Northwestern are the business focus, and Chicago offers what is close enough to that, an economic focus.

Here's the deal on Chicago the city: The school does not necessarily decide your dating scene. If you go to Northwestern, you are in all likelihood not going to be living in an apartment that overlooks Lakeshore Drive or Michigan Avenue. You're going to have to either commute or take a train to class every day. What this means is that, sure, the few hundred people in your graduating class aren't going to be as fair game as most law student classes, but you're going to be living in a completely different area anyway, so what does it matter? Meanwhile, if you got U-Chi the concern is pretty much moot because you can afford to live in Hyde Park along with most of your classmates, many of whom will be single, plus an entire university's stock of students learning other things.

I think what you need to consider most is which market you would most want to work in. If you're looking at these schools for biglaw opportunities, then you need to consider that Duke traditionally feeds into NYC and DC, while NW relies much more heavily on Chicago. U-Chi enjoys more easily accessed exposure in all three cities. All in all, if you don't see yourself wanting to work north of the Potomac, Duke is for you. If not, seriously consider U-Chi.
Last edited by Tanicius on Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GermX

Postby GermX » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:28 pm

Northwestern, hands down.

LAguy

Postby LAguy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:30 pm

Thanks for all the advice! I should probably clarify that I went to Chicago's ASW and it went horribly, which combined with the smaller amount of money makes it less of an option. I realize it's perhaps the best school, was planning on attending until the ASW f-ed everything up.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:32 pm

Tanicius wrote:Here's the deal on Chicago the city: The school does not necessarily decide your dating scene. If you go to Northwestern, you are in all likelihood not going to be living in an apartment that overlooks Lakeshore Drive or Michigan Avenue. You're going to have to either commute or take a train to class every day. What this means is that, sure, the few hundred people in your graduating class aren't going to be as fair game as most law student classes, but you're going to be living in a completely different area anyway, so what does it matter?

This isn't true. A very large percent of 1L's at NU do live between LSD and Michigan Ave. I hear something like 60% of 1L's live in streeterville. I probably will.
Last edited by 09042014 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:34 pm

LAguy wrote:Thanks for all the advice! I should probably clarify that I went to Chicago's ASW and it went horribly, which combined with the smaller amount of money makes it less of an option. I realize it's perhaps the best school, was planning on attending until the ASW f-ed everything up.

Then screw Uchi, and go to NU. Chicago unquestionably has better prospects, but not hugely better. And you'll get 60k.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:34 pm

Tanicius wrote:I think what you need to consider most is which market you would most want to work in. If you're looking at these schools for biglaw opportunities, then you need to consider that Duke traditionally feeds into NYC and DC, while NW relies much more heavily on Chicago. U-Chi enjoys more easily accessed exposure in all three cities. All in all, if you don't see yourself wanting to work north of the Potomac, Duke is for you. If not, seriously consider U-Chi.

This. Also (although it is too late at this point) you should have visited. You cannot feel out which school's students/faculty/campus is the right fit for you without visiting.

If you did visit, and just neglected to tell us, make sure whichever you choose was one you were comfortable with.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Here's the deal on Chicago the city: The school does not necessarily decide your dating scene. If you go to Northwestern, you are in all likelihood not going to be living in an apartment that overlooks Lakeshore Drive or Michigan Avenue. You're going to have to either commute or take a train to class every day. What this means is that, sure, the few hundred people in your graduating class aren't going to be as fair game as most law student classes, but you're going to be living in a completely different area anyway, so what does it matter?

This isn't true. A very large percent of 1L's at NU do live between LSD and Michigan Ave. I hear something like 60% of 1L's live in streeterville. I probably will.

Do you think this has anything to do with the fact that many NU students came in with better financial situation due to their work experience?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:54 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Do you think this has anything to do with the fact that many NU students came in with better financial situation due to their work experience?

More like a willingness to blow their loan money on overly expensive studio apartments. You've got to go pretty far down the el lines to get substantially cheaper anyway though. 1000 a month is feasible in that neighborhood. It seems like the 2L, and 3L's more not to save money, but to live in more social neighborhoods. But real NU students would know more about it than me.

The ones who have money from before seem to blow it on even more expensive apartments.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

More like a willingness to blow their loan money on overly expensive studio apartments. You've got to go pretty far down the el lines to get substantially cheaper anyway though. 1000 a month is feasible in that neighborhood. It seems like the 2L, and 3L's more not to save money, but to live in more social neighborhoods. But real NU students would know more about it than me.

The ones who have money from before seem to blow it on even more expensive apartments.

If I go there, it's *possible* I'll live in Streeterville, but it more likely will be Rogers Park.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:02 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

If I go there, it's *possible* I'll live in Streeterville, but it more likely will be Rogers Park.

Funny you say that, my great aunt and uncle have a lovely townhouse in Rogers Park with a lake view. There was talk of letting me stay there, because they go to California from Sept until May anyway. But they are currently renting it out to friends.

I looked into it, its a pretty long ride on the red line. Above 40 minutes when you add in walking. And you a still talking 500 a month in rent at best. With a car it isn't that bad though.

It took me 30 to go from Lincoln Square to campus.

If I get a chance to squat at my gAunts place I'll take it.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

Funny you say that, my great aunt and uncle have a lovely townhouse in Rogers Park with a lake view. There was talk of letting me stay there, because they go to California from Sept until May anyway. But they are currently renting it out to friends.

I looked into it, its a pretty long ride on the red line. Above 40 minutes when you add in walking. And you a still talking 500 a month in rent at best. With a car it isn't that bad though.

I do have a car, but I figure I could read/study on the commute, and it's pretty much a straight shot on the red line. I'll be living with my g/f and my dog, so we'd get a 1 bedroom there. There was apparently a lot of development in Rogers park, and some of the condos/apartments are really nice, but still relatively cheap. Thankfully the g/f will probably get a 50K job or so, and that will help out a lot. All of this is obviously unlikely, given my numbers, but it's an exciting miracle to hope for. One of our big concerns about UIllinois is her ability to find a decent job.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:12 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Funny you say that, my great aunt and uncle have a lovely townhouse in Rogers Park with a lake view. There was talk of letting me stay there, because they go to California from Sept until May anyway. But they are currently renting it out to friends.

I do have a car, but I figure I could read/study on the commute, and it's pretty much a straight shot on the red line. I'll be living with my g/f and my dog, so we'd get a 1 bedroom there. There was apparently a lot of development in Rogers park, and some of the condos/apartments are really nice, but still relatively cheap. Thankfully the g/f will probably get a 50K job or so, and that will help out a lot. All of this is obviously unlikely, given my numbers, but it's an exciting miracle to hope for. One of our big concerns about UIllinois is her ability to find a decent job.

What does she do?

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
What does she do?

She's the assistant to the President and the CEO of a large economic consulting firm here in NYC. The crappy thing is that she's got some serious job responsibilities and makes a good paycheck, whereas executive assistants in Champaign make like $12/hr. And it's more of a secretary thing. She doesn't want to be an executive assistant her whole life, but she's got a lot of student loan debt, so she's tied to it right now.

2013esq

Postby 2013esq » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:59 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

I'll be living with my dog, too and am concerned about having to live really far outside of the downtown area. I don't want to keep her locked in a tiny studio apartment in Streeterville, but I don't want to be gone for 12 hours a day because of a long commute to school.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:18 pm

2013esq wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

I'll be living with my dog, too and am concerned about having to live really far outside of the downtown area. I don't want to keep her locked in a tiny studio apartment in Streeterville, but I don't want to be gone for 12 hours a day because of a long commute to school.

Honestly, I'm not sure about the realities of having a dog in Law School. I'm sure there's a thread somewhere! Mine is a 60 lb husky/malamute mix. He's very mellow (when not playing with other dogs), and I don't have a lot of trouble crating him during the day as long as I walk him enough (around 1 1/2 hours per day walking/dog park). I figure that the walking would be good stress relief for me too in law school.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:22 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:05 pm

Oh, and here's a picture of Lucas:

--ImageRemoved--

bruinsbaseball

Postby bruinsbaseball » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:12 pm

i feel like a lot of people in this forum who claim to be familiar with chicago the city are not.

garrett09

Postby garrett09 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:40 pm

Duke.

I mean, why not? If money's really important, Durham's COL can't be beat. Plus it has great weather, seems to be a friendly and tight-knit community, and has a decent name brand/rank. If it were me, I'd do Duke... but do you have location preferences? Want to work somewhere specific after school? Did you visit and have a preference? The schools seem fairly different (older people vs. young, urban vs. non-urban, midwest vs. south). Do you have any preferences?

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:59 pm

Chicago sticker > NU 60k > Duke 60k > Penn 30k

Assuming you can last 3 years in Hyde Park. Or in Durham.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:55 pm

bruinsbaseball wrote:i feel like a lot of people in this forum who claim to be familiar with chicago the city are not.

If you're talking about me, I make no such claim. I've been there maybe 50 times, but that's about it.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:57 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
bruinsbaseball wrote:i feel like a lot of people in this forum who claim to be familiar with chicago the city are not.

If you're talking about me, I make no such claim. I've been there maybe 50 times, but that's about it.

Yea I live in the burbs, and have very hit or miss knowledge of the city. I work there, but I only know about a few of the neighborhoods.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Yea I live in the burbs, and have very hit or miss knowledge of the city. I work there, but I only know about a few of the neighborhoods.
So far re Chicago neighborhoods I've learned:

Streetervile - best
Loop - central downtown
Wrigleyville - fun
Hyde Park - desolate
Cabrini Green - Good Times

Return to “Choosing a Law School”