Loyola v. Hastings v. GW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which law school?

Loyola $84K
24%
Hastings 10K
51%
GW $0 & PT
24%

Total votes: 37

savesthedayajb

Loyola v. Hastings v. GW

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:08 pm

Deposits are due in a week or two! I need some help!

I'm pretty set on practicing in LA after law school, although I wouldn't be completely opposed to going somewhere else. Let's just say I want to have the option to work in LA.

Loyola - $84k if top 1/3, I would have about 110k debt w/ scholarship and about 166K without

Hastings - 10K, would end up with about 150K debt

GW - nothing, PT, >$200k debt

I'm planning on riding out the WLs at USC (although I haven't heard back from them yet, I assume WL), UCLA (dream school - eying the legal philosophy specialization), GULC (on the SPWL for PT), and UVA. I wouldn't hesitate paying sticker at any of these. If anyone is interested my numbers are 163/4.0

I know Loyola is the most logical option for me, but I'm not excited about the school and that really scares me. But who knows I might end up really liking it (I'm visiting tonight for the Preview Day)

Loyola turn offs:
- campus and location (ugly area, ugly buildings ugh not an ideal academic environment that just makes you want to study)
- recent news about GPA boost
- competition in LA
- No programs I'm really interested in
- I'm scared a degree from here will limit my opportunities and possibly stifle my ambitions

But I do have a shot at a large scholarship and even if I don't get it all, the first year I'm guaranteed more than I am at Hastings. But the overall debt would be less at Hastings. Plus, I want the option to work in LA and Loyola really has the upper-hand there. I'm from LA, love LA and will have an easy time finding a place to live that is affordable. Loyola's COL loan also allocates a lot more money for rent than Hastings 1300 to 1000 I think.

Thanks for your help in advance!

arhmcpo

Re: Loyola v. Hastings v. GW

Postby arhmcpo » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:50 pm

Forget GW. Decide btw Loyola and Hastings.

Difficult question since your so dead set on LA. Hastings is significantly more prestigious, more nationally known, and considered a superior school by most people in CA, but Loyola sells itself as the school that can get you a job in LA and has a large alumni network in LA to draw from. I would ck out how many grads from Hastings end up in LA, I think it should be a significant number. In which case I think you go Hastings, since it has the advantage over Loyola in most important categories and will still give you a good shot at an LA job.

Hastings + more opportunities w/ more prestigious degree, still probably have decent LA prospects
Loyola + Debt aversion (if you can keep the scholarship), focus of the school is LA placement

I would also be concerned that you don't feel excited about Loyola. If you really can't get pumped up as a 0L to attend, imagine grinding out 3 years there...

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:32 pm

arhmcpo wrote:Forget GW. Decide btw Loyola and Hastings.

Difficult question since your so dead set on LA. Hastings is significantly more prestigious, more nationally known, and considered a superior school by most people in CA, but Loyola sells itself as the school that can get you a job in LA and has a large alumni network in LA to draw from. I would ck out how many grads from Hastings end up in LA, I think it should be a significant number. In which case I think you go Hastings, since it has the advantage over Loyola in most important categories and will still give you a good shot at an LA job.

Hastings + more opportunities w/ more prestigious degree, still probably have decent LA prospects
Loyola + Debt aversion (if you can keep the scholarship), focus of the school is LA placement

I would also be concerned that you don't feel excited about Loyola. If you really can't get pumped up as a 0L to attend, imagine grinding out 3 years there...

Thanks for the response, that really helps. Yeah, if tonight's Preview Day doesn't thoroughly excite me, I'm driving up to Hastings next week for a last min tour to make my final decision. I've been excited to go to law school for years and I dont want the school I attend to interfere with my enthusiasm for this experience.

Broncos4Ever

Postby Broncos4Ever » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:01 pm

Since you're asking, in my humble opinion, I would select either Hastings or GW. Loyola is further down prestige-wise. I would pick GW. I believe GW will get you into California fairly easily. Look at the placement of its grads.

Good luck!

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:05 pm

For LA, go Loyola. Negotiate the scholly to NO STRINGS ATTACHED though. Seriously, this cannot be stressed enough. Don't gamble massive sums of money on the chance that you outperform 66% of your classmates, because 66% of the time you won't. That's a bad bet.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:59 pm

Im surprised how many people chose GW.

After asking around a lot it seems as though it is impossible to get the LLS scholarship without the top1/3 stip, and that it's just not worth asking.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:26 pm

If you believe in yourself, go to Loyola. If you don't, go to Hastings or GW.

sbcity24

Postby sbcity24 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:48 pm

I would say that if you can negotiate the scholarship to eliminate the strings that would make this an easy choice. With that said, Loyola's FinAid Office will probably not be willing to do that considering the large amount they have already offered. Worth a shot though.

Beyond that, it becomes a matter of who you know in LA and whether they will be able to help you with summer positions and potentially a job upon graduation. In my opinion, ITE the prestige gap between Hastings and Loyola (which is what? 15 spots at this point?) is barely relevant. It is all about the connections you can make and your grades, beyond that everything is too tenuous for any conclusions to be drawn. What you do know is that you like LA, that Loyola is well-respected in the LA legal community, and that you could potentially save hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Just for reference I go to Hastings and want to end up in LA. Loyola was nowhere near as generous scholarship-wise as Hastings so that made the decision for me.

BTW, the TLS bias/ranking whoredom will surely skew the poll results, but if you want to stay in LA, why bother going across the country and going 200K+ in debt?

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:46 am

In addition, I think I'll have more chance of success at LLS (after my visit), and possibly a better shot at transferring.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:48 am

Why are so many people choosing Hastings?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:18 pm

people choose Hastings because it's the 5th most respected law school in CA (too soon to tell for UCI) and because you want to work in LA (which happens to be in CA) and because GW part time is one gigantic money pit (even compared to Hastings). And also because the 1/3 requirement is kind of risky for Loyola (though Loyola would be a solid choice too).

Mostly I'd just rule out GW

EDITED for accuracy

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:40 pm

I misread the poll initially, and thought it was for the GW full time program.

I'd have to vote for Hastings, even if that decreases my chances of making it off the WL. :lol:

The scholarship at LLS is too risky, and the GW part time program is expensive and it won't put you in a good position to work in L.A.

Hastings is your best option. I imagine you might want to look into a UCLA transfer from Hastings if you really want the L.A. area, after your first year. I don't know where you would have to rank, but the jump isn't extreme so it might be doable.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:21 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'd try to transfer if I had the grades. But I think I'd have a better shot at being top of my class at LLS rather than Hastings. Hastings sounds a lot more cut-throat competitive and LLS seems to have an incredibly supportive faculty.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”