Miami or Northeastern U? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
1L2b

New

Miami or Northeastern U?

Post by 1L2b » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:40 am

Disclaimer: I know neither are particularly strong schools for the TLS forum standards, but I need genuine info. nonetheless if you can provide it :)

Some people might think this is a no-brainer because Miami is higher ranked, but some background info: I've always lived in Miami and I'm not particularly fond of the city...for many reasons. The only thing that would keep me here is the fact that I'm very close to my family and they happen to live here. Also, I've always loved Boston when I visit and could see myself living there (despite the winters...which kind of suck). I like the people and the culture more in Northeastern cities. Maybe the grass *is* always greener?

HOWEVER, I want to go into International/Business Law and know that Northeastern is mostly geared towards Public Interest and is, furthermore, competing with Harvard, BU, AND BC for jobs. But a mid-level firm paying a decent amount in Boston trumps a top job in Miami in my opinion any day (again, I'm not too keen on staying in Miami). I know both schools are largely regional, but 2 questions:

1. What kind of job can I get in Boston (if any) graduating from UMiami? What % rank do I have to be in going from Miami law school --> Boston work?
2. Is it easier to transfer to a better school in Boston from Northeastern (which has no class rank but is in the city) or from Miami (which has a class rank, is a higher ranked school, but is regional to South Florida)?

Need to make deposit ASAP so please...HELP!!!!!

legalease9

Silver

Re: Miami or Northeastern U?

Post by legalease9 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:52 am

DO NOT GO TO MIAMI! You will never be able to leave Flordia if you do that and can't make a transfer (which is really really hard to do from any school). Since you seem dead set against avoiding florida law, go Northeastern.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:52 am

legalease9 wrote:DO NOT GO TO MIAMI! You will never be able to leave Flordia if you do that and can't make a transfer (which is really really hard to do from any school). Since you seem dead set against avoiding florida law, go Northeastern.
Inclined to agree, do you have $$ from either?

1L2b

New

Post by 1L2b » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:57 am

Don't want to sound snobby but luckily $'s not an issue.
So...which will get me a better job (and while we're at it, how does one define "better")? How about just giving me pro's and con's of the schools/cities if you can? I'd really, really appreciate it and thanks in advance!!!!

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:02 am

Go to U Miami you live in Miami forever

Go to Northeastern, you live in Boston forever.

That is all that is really relevant.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

birD

Bronze

Post by birD » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:06 am

Did you look into Suffolk I've heard it actually gets you a better job in Boston than Northeastern if you're not into PI

1L2b

New

Post by 1L2b » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:13 am

birD are you from Boston? It sounds like an interesting debate I've encountered on this site but I hadn't really look into it while applying and I wish I had. I just applied to T1/T2 because at the time I figured that higher ranked = better job prospects. And I didn't apply to many schools, only some in S. Fla, NYC, and Boston. That is all.

So yah, is Northeastern all that bad? I hear they're very P.I.-oriented and leftist. How much? Does it affect student life/culture/etc?

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:33 pm

If you're going to a regional school...you need to go to the region you want to work in.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:37 pm

trialjunky wrote:If you're going to a regional school...you need to go to the region you want to work in.
That's true, but there's little-to-no chance of transactional work at Northeastern and it's EXTREMELY pricey. I honestly think both schools at sticker, based on OP's considerations are a bad decision. OP - get a job and re-take the LSAT and try for UF (in-state and cheap)/BU/BC. Neither school you list right now is good for your goals.

1L2b

New

Post by 1L2b » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:15 pm

keg411 wrote:
trialjunky wrote:If you're going to a regional school...you need to go to the region you want to work in.
That's true, but there's little-to-no chance of transactional work at Northeastern and it's EXTREMELY pricey. I honestly think both schools at sticker, based on OP's considerations are a bad decision. OP - get a job and re-take the LSAT and try for UF (in-state and cheap)/BU/BC. Neither school you list right now is good for your goals.
Again, $ is not an issue so *all other considerations aside*, does it come down to where I want to work? BTW UM places WAYYY better here than UF. PERIOD. Sure, UF is less money and ranked higher for a lot of reasons which I'll not get into, but UM has so much more prestige in every program it offers that there's really no comparison. At the end of the day, the UM grad would get the Biglaw job in Miami over UF grad anyday. I know a lot about the market here so I'm not going to get into that argument any further b/c it doesn't really interest me.

Anyway, anyone familiar with Northeastern: Though it gets a rep for P.I., P.I. is 40% of the class, meaning 60% do something else. I forgot the number but a good deal work in private firms. What kind of work and what's average salary/yr? I know school figures inflate the # and many, many sources are biased so if you've encountered NEU grads outside of P.I., what are they often recruited into as far as private sector?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”