Georgetown (sticker) v. UTexas ($$ and in-state)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which of the two?

Georgetown (sticker)
27%
University of Texas ($$ + in-state)
73%

Total votes: 98

dancinginseptember

Georgetown (sticker) v. UTexas ($$ and in-state)

Postby dancinginseptember » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:42 am

Okay all, I really appreciate any and all help you can give me. Here are the two options:
1. Georgetown. sticker. graduate with $90-110k in loans. live as poor student.
2. UT. in-state tuition and moneymoneymoney. graduate with no loans. live comfortably.

I know those factors aren't the end-all, be-all. You might have to sacrifice for the better long-term option. I'm just not so sure the gap between these two schools is wide enough to justify the heavy debt. I'm rather debt averse, and don't want the paying-off-debt element to determine where I work post grad. I'd also really appreciate and use the pocket money I'd have at UT. Financial worries particularly stress me out.

With that in mind, here are a few of my preferences:
-Do not want to live in Dallas or Houston
-LOVE dc. probably for the long-term...maybe. I'm a public policy nerd, so I like that buzz that DC has. With that said, a break from the east coast for three years could be nice. And I wouldn't be able to enjoy all the things I love about DC on my budget.
-Future career plans: unclear. Interested in health care & energy law. Going into govt work (legislative counsel type gigs) might be neat -- which might steer me to georgetown. But with high levels of debt, it really pays to get a more lucrative job. I'd feel more comfortable taking a lower-paying (but still prestigious) job with no debt.
-Really like austin. Not sure of JD opportunities there, or if I want to be there in the longterm.

I know that being towards the top of the class is necessary at both schools. Big question = am I at that much a disadvantage in terms of career prospects if I opt for UT over Georgetown? I think I want to be in a city like DC long-term -- but again, I'm not certain. I grew up in Dallas and went to a small east coast school for undergrad. I haven't lived too many places.

Also: are the students pretty similar at the two schools? How are they different?

Thank yall so much :)
I really appreciate it and am so torn! I had to send in deposit at UT because the deadline came quickly. Georgetown's looms...
Let me know if you need more information or if you have any questions.

One more thing -- if you have any advice of people I should go to and ask, that'd help. My friends can only get me so far with this. The prelaw advisor at my college does not have that much more to offer.
Last edited by dancinginseptember on Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek

Re: Georgetown (sticker) v. UTexas ($$ and in-state)

Postby Danteshek » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:57 am

Not going to GT does not preclude you from working in DC. Also, Texas gives you the option of staying in TX. I like TX here. There is a lot to be said for going to law school where you are from.

Esc

Postby Esc » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:02 am

dancinginseptember wrote:Okay all, I really appreciate any and all help you can give me. Here are the two options:
1. Georgetown. sticker. graduate with $90-110k in loans. live as poor student.
2. UT. in-state tuition and moneymoneymoney. graduate with no loans. live comfortably.

I know those factors aren't the end-all, be-all. You might have to sacrifice for the better long-term option. I'm just not so sure the gap between these two schools is wide enough to justify the heavy debt. I'm rather debt averse, and don't want the paying-off-debt element to determine where I work post grad. I'd also really appreciate and use the pocket money I'd have at UT. Financial worries particularly stress me out.

With that in mind, here are a few of my preferences:
-Do not want to live in Dallas or Houston
-LOVE dc. probably for the long-term...maybe. I'm a public policy nerd, so I like that buzz that DC has. With that said, a break from the east coast for three years could be nice. And I wouldn't be able to enjoy all the things I love about DC on my budget.
-Future career plans: unclear. Interested in health care & energy law. Going into govt work (legislative counsel type gigs) might be neat -- which might steer me to georgetown. But with high levels of debt, it really pays to get a more lucrative job. I'd feel more comfortable taking a lower-paying (but still prestigious) job with no debt.
-Really like austin. Not sure of JD opportunities there, or if I want to be there in the longterm.

I know that being towards the top of the class is necessary at both schools. Big question = am I at that much a disadvantage in terms of career prospects if I opt for UT over Georgetown? I think I want to be in a city like DC long-term -- but again, I'm not certain. I grew up in Dallas and went to a small east coast school for undergrad. I haven't lived too many places.

Also: are the students pretty similar at the two schools? How are they different?

Thank yall so much :)
I really appreciate it and am so torn! I had to send in deposit at UT because the deadline came quickly. Georgetown's looms...
Let me know if you need more information or if you have any questions.

UT. The schools are essentially peer institutions, with different focuses. While GULC would obviously do you better for D.C. and probably a bit better nationally, it isn't worth the substantially greater sticker price. UT will give you financial security, has an incredible energy program, and places respectably in DC, NYC, and LA.

The CW is that GULC students aren't all that pleasant. I don't know if its true. But I do know that nearly everyone at UT is very chill and friendly, which is a big plus in my book.

dancinginseptember

Postby dancinginseptember » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:11 am

Esc wrote:The CW is that GULC students aren't all that pleasant. I don't know if its true. But I do know that nearly everyone at UT is very chill and friendly, which is a big plus in my book.

-I did visit Georgetown the other week as it's a quick Amtrak or (terrible) Chinatown Bus ride away. I liked the students plenty. They seemed friendly and neat.
-I visited UT as well in spring 09 when I came home to TX for spring break. I wasn't as knowledgeable about law schools and this process last year, which probably took away from the value of that visit. I was more into getting Amy's and wandering around South Congress :wink:

Thank you for the advice!

Esc

Postby Esc » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:17 am

dancinginseptember wrote:
Esc wrote:The CW is that GULC students aren't all that pleasant. I don't know if its true. But I do know that nearly everyone at UT is very chill and friendly, which is a big plus in my book.

-I did visit Georgetown the other week as it's a quick Amtrak or (terrible) Chinatown Bus ride away. I liked the students plenty. They seemed friendly and neat.
-I visited UT as well in spring 09 when I came home to TX for spring break. I wasn't as knowledgeable about law schools and this process last year, which probably took away from the value of that visit. I was more into getting Amy's and wandering around South Congress :wink:

Thank you for the advice!

+1. good luck wherever you go

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:27 am

Hey, cool, I didn't realize G-Town's tuition was so reasonable. Texas is still a way better choice with $$ and in-state, unless you're dead-set on DC.

There are a number of biglaw firms in Austin. I think you'll do fine.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:36 am

Does Georgetown know that UT offered you such a nice deal. If not you should really let them know. Tell them that you will commit and withdraw your app from Texas if they match the offer.

dancinginseptember

Postby dancinginseptember » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:01 am

TCS wrote:Hey, cool, I didn't realize G-Town's tuition was so reasonable. Texas is still a way better choice with $$ and in-state, unless you're dead-set on DC.

It's not so reasonable really. I'm lucky in that my parents will help out to an extent.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:28 am

If you are 100% set on federal government work (which it appears you are not) then Georgetown is the correct choice. You will not have to pay back the vast majority, if any, of your loans. You could max them out, put the leftovers into a Roth IRA, and then cash in on the IBR/LRAP combo.

If you are not, then it seems Texas is your choice. It leaves open (although makes more difficult) the option of a career in government/DC, and gives you only a lightly worse chance of biglaw, with a significantly lower risk/loan total, and you will have a higher QOL during law school.

nealric

Postby nealric » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:35 am

The CW is that GULC students aren't all that pleasant.

We get an unfair bad rap from a few bad eggs. Most GULC students are plenty pleasant.

To the OP: I think the choice mostly depends on your affinity for Texas. If you really are fine with staying in Texas, then Texas is probably the better choice. If you are gung-ho about the east coast, then GULC is the better choice. If you are going into government, the debt won't be as much as an issue due to various loan repayment programs for public servants.

dancinginseptember

Postby dancinginseptember » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:03 pm

thanks for all the help so far! i'm really not sure how gung-ho i am about government work and DC. I think I am about DC in the future...
oy vey.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:02 pm

TCS wrote:Hey, cool, I didn't realize G-Town's tuition was so reasonable. Texas is still a way better choice with $$ and in-state, unless you're dead-set on DC.

It's not so reasonable really. I'm lucky in that my parents will help out to an extent.

Like it or not, $25K tuition at GULC (T14!) is quite reasonable. Have you seen GWU's prices? Or UIUC? I'm getting 3/4 of tuition covered at UIUC and I'm still going to be pulling almost $30K per year in loans.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:03 pm

Let me reiterate, DC is the only reason to take GULC over Texas. In terms of employment numbers and overall rating, Texas and GULC are closer in stature than GULC and, say, NU.

SBimmer

Postby SBimmer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:15 pm

TCS wrote:

Like it or not, $25K tuition at GULC (T14!) is quite reasonable. Have you seen GWU's prices? Or UIUC? I'm getting 3/4 of tuition covered at UIUC and I'm still going to be pulling almost $30K per year in loans.

GULC's Yearly Tuition: $43,750 for full time students, $38,280 for part time students

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:12 pm

SBimmer wrote:
TCS wrote:

GULC's Yearly Tuition: $43,750 for full time students, $38,280 for part time students

Ookk... I'm kind of curious what numbers I was reading then. :oops: That tuition is more in line with what I would have expected, at any rate.

dancinginseptember

Postby dancinginseptember » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:33 pm

my parents will help out, so that's why the loans are not so much. gtown is just as expensive as the rest (with living expenses, etc ~ $68,000/yr*).

this thread is definitely warming me up to austin for the next three years at least...

*that's the total amount of loans they'll let me take out per year

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:00 pm

If you're willing to accept that you might end up staying in TX, go to UT (yes, even if it's Dallas or Houston; Austin in a small and very competitive legal market). And do yourself a favor; accept that you might end up staying in TX, even if it's somewhere you don't currently want. The only way you should go to GULC is if you really really really want DC and would hate being back in Texas.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:44 am

If I was you I would go to UT, bust my ass in class, and try to spend my summers in DC working for a TX Rep. or Senator. Best of both worlds....

This is obviously risky, but possible.

mpar

Postby mpar » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:33 pm

One thing to consider, since you mentioned you were big on public policy: not only are the law schools essentially peer institutions, the public affairs schools are, as well. A double in public policy would not be a bad choice

gmichaelbluth

Postby gmichaelbluth » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:52 pm

I had very similar concerns as you with a similar money dilemma (although I don't have parents who will help out)--very interested in DC long-term, generous financial aid at UT v. none at Gtown, loved Austin but not crazy about TX as a whole, and though I have some career interests, I'm not 100% set on anything. The students I met at both schools were nice, and sure, the facilities at Gtown are nicer, but what eventually pushed me to UT was a combination of a desire to try something not-East Coast for a short time in my life, being really debt-averse, and a straight up gut-check. I went with UT and I'm really excited about my choice.

I'm from a state where the flagship state law school takes a high percentage of in-staters and most of them choose to stay in-state. So keep in mind, even though UT places the majority of their students in TX, a whole lot of that is self-selection, since they take such a high percentage of in-state students. When you're talking about what percentage of your class is interested in DC employers, there is going to be much less competition within your class at UT (as opposed to Gtown, where people go b/c they want to be in DC).

Good luck with your decision, and hope to see you in Austin in the fall!

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:26 am

TCS wrote: :wink: Ookk... I'm kind of curious what numbers I was reading then. :oops: That tuition is more in line with what I would have expected, at any rate.

You were reading per semester figures. It's happened before.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:36 am

I worked for a UT grad in Beijing. You'll have options.

Easy, easy, decision. Congrats.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:24 am

If you are heart set on DC and aren't horribly debt averse, I think GULC is the decision here. You're taking a gamble by going to UT. You honestly don't seem very debt averse with the way you are posting.

Take the following with a grain of salt, but this is how I see it (and hopefully others can comment):

Your UT degree will probably travel to DC.

Your GULC degree will definitely travel to TX.

dancinginseptember

Postby dancinginseptember » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Overwhelming majority: Texas..
--ImageRemoved--
Hook 'em?

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:38 pm

UT seems like the clear and distinct choice here. Two very different schools though, which makes the decision harder.

UT will travel into DC, and money is money. You might have to work a little more to get into DC from Texas as opposed to Georgetown, but I think that potential negative is more than offset by the significantly less debt and the experience of living somewhere else.

So...hook em!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”