Is Columbia worth it?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Teoeo

Re: Is Columbia worth it?

Postby Teoeo » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:05 pm

I don't know if anyone has said this because I am too lazy to read through the responses, but Columbias new LRAP + IBR program would probably pay for everything.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:31 am

quickquestionthanks wrote: No. If only I could remember the name...I think it's in/near Claremont? that's a neighborhood right?

The two pizza places I hear raved about are in Oakland and then one in Berkeley actually. I think San Fran pizza is terrible in general, so it's good that they have some edible stuff in the east bay.

The Cheese Board? That place is extremely overrated. Zachary's > Cheese Board, but I also think Chicago style pizza is the only unique kind of pizza. Everything else kind of tastes the same regardless of where you get it.

MahaloMontana wrote:yeah, i had a bad feeling about this when I met with the Financial Aid officer at Berkeley's Admit Weekend a few weeks ago.

I asked her if I would receive a bigger need-based grant next year since I will be unemployed. She told me that not only was it unlikely that I would get more money in my 2L year, she didn't think that they'd have the funding next year to match what I had been offered for my 1L year. In fact, she kind of implied that I'd be lucky to get anything my 2L year. But that was just my impression. Poster's situation may be different.

I believe this is only for need-based grants btw; scholarship money should be guaranteed over the three years.

Yeah, needless to say my friend was peeved, as this person gave up guaranteed $ at Duke to go to Berk.

OP - if Berk doesn't match your merit aid, I'd probably go to Columbia. It's more likely than not that Boalt will not reinstate need based aid 2L and 3L year.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:24 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:I think it's in/near Claremont? that's a neighborhood right?
Tofu wrote:there's a claremont in norcal?

Yup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claremont, ... California

Chirp chirp?

quickquestionthanks wrote:
fortissimo wrote:Are you talking about Zachary's Chicago Pizza? It's alright, it's a chain though, and they have locations elsewhere in the Bay besides the one in Cokeland. It doesn't compensate for being in Cokeland, and there's a lot more food options in NYC because it's NYC.

No. If only I could remember the name...

It is Zachary's! Just went to Yelp for help, and that's obviously it.

The one in Oakland I was thinking of is called Pizzaiola. I knew it was a funky name. I'm partial to NY style in a big way though. There's a pretty good NY style joint on Van Ness just north of Geary called Village Pizzeria. Parking is a real bitch, even for San Francisco.

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:55 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:I think it's in/near Claremont? that's a neighborhood right?
Tofu wrote:there's a claremont in norcal?

Yup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claremont, ... California

Chirp chirp?

oh haha i see!

pappyjohnson

Postby pappyjohnson » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:04 am

The area of Oakland where Zachary's is located is one of the richest, safest, nicest places to live in the Bay Area. If you choose Cal (and I would, go Bears!), definitely consider living in Oakland. As for pizza, the best pie in the East Bay can be found at Gioia on Hopkins St. in Berkeley, opened by a transplanted New Yorker. I honestly don't know how they get so much oil into their pizza, but it makes for a delicious slice.

Antipodean

Postby Antipodean » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:14 pm

Teoeo wrote:I don't know if anyone has said this because I am too lazy to read through the responses, but Columbias new LRAP + IBR program would probably pay for everything.

This is actually a pretty crucial point. Columbia has extremely generous assistance if you go into PI after graduation, so the debt difference probably isn't as much of an issue. Berkeley, on the other hand, is a public university in a state suffering from a prolonged budgetary crisis. There is a significant chance that you'll be facing large fee hikes and/or cuts in financial aid during your time there.

In terms of monetary security, then, I think Columbia has a substantial edge.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:24 pm

Berkeley, on the other hand, is a public university in a state suffering from a prolonged budgetary crisis. There is a significant chance that you'll be facing large fee hikes and/or cuts in financial aid during your time there.

This is misleading. Berkeley's fee hikes were implemented in order to maintain financial aid and boost the LRAP program (which they recently did). Honestly, the law school is in much better shape than the state, and its LRAP/fin. aid remain especially strong.

If OP is 100% sure s/he will go into PI, then LRAP + IBR will cover debt at either school. Given that OP wants to work in CA and is interested in PI, I think Berkeley is the winner. Then again, I can't imagine a CLS grad struggling to find work in CA, or anywhere for that matter. So maybe this is really a question of where OP wants to spend the next three years, since post-graduate opportunities/debt-load are likely to be very similar upon graduation. I would argue that QOL at Berkeley >>>> that of CLS, but that's just me.

Good luck OP and congrats on being in such a fortunate position.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:37 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
Berkeley, on the other hand, is a public university in a state suffering from a prolonged budgetary crisis. There is a significant chance that you'll be facing large fee hikes and/or cuts in financial aid during your time there.

This is misleading. Berkeley's fee hikes were implemented in order to maintain financial aid and boost the LRAP program (which they recently did). Honestly, the law school is in much better shape than the state, and its LRAP/fin. aid remain especially strong.

Except Boalt still cannot pay for need-based aid for 2Ls and 3Ls. They're even telling people not to expect any need based aid 2L and 3L year. I guess they should increase the tuition to 70k/year instead of just having it at 54k. (And fwiw, I think CLS's LRAP is stronger.) Also, the East Bay sucks so I'm going to have to disagree with that QOL comment.
Last edited by fortissimo on Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:39 pm

It is Zachary's! Just went to Yelp for help, and that's obviously it.

The one in Oakland I was thinking of is called Pizzaiola. I knew it was a funky name. I'm partial to NY style in a big way though. There's a pretty good NY style joint on Van Ness just north of Geary called Village Pizzeria. Parking is a real bitch, even for San Francisco.

Yeah Zachary's is alright. It's a bit overrated, and it's a chain...so it has the chain flavor. There's a really good indian place across from it in N. Berkeley though. It's called Ajanta, and it's by far the best restaurant in that area. Unfortunately, I haven't been to Pizzaiola.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”