NY LAW SCHOOL vs. SYRACUSE...PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR IDEAS!!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
eagles86

Re: NY LAW SCHOOL vs. SYRACUSE...PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR IDEAS!!!

Postby eagles86 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:50 pm

rad law wrote:
jlo301 wrote:hey everyone...regarding the NJ schools question, i have appiled to schools in new jersey. I was waitlisted at Rutgers, and i am waiting for a reply back from seton hall (i believe i will be accepted there). I have also applied to uconn and brooklyn, but those are kind of reach schools. Thhe reason i asked the NYLS or Syracuse question was because those were the only schools i have been accpeted to and i wanted to get some opinions in case i dont get accepted anywhere else. I really dont want to take the LSAT again, this was my second time taking it, i greatly improved but i don't want to go through that again lol.

Again, if you are paying anywhere close to sticker, don't go, retake LSAT, and reapply.

Seriously radlaw, you got some issues. Every single thing you post is bashing those who don't have a full scholarship to a non T14. Plenty of people live a comfortable upper- middle class life while not working in a NLJ250 firm. It seems like you take joy in watching others fail. Either way, you come off as incredibly elitist.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:05 pm

eagles86 wrote:Seriously radlaw, you got some issues. Every single thing you post is bashing those who don't have a full scholarship to a non T14. Plenty of people live a comfortable upper- middle class life while not working in a NLJ250 firm. It seems like you take joy in watching others fail. Either way, you come off as incredibly elitist.

I don't have a full scholarship and am going to a non-T14, incidentally.

Sorry if I come off as elitist. It's not elitism, it's common sense. If OP had gotten meaningful money from either of those schools, I'd say go; that would be a good investment. But OP has failed to disclose his/her monetary situation, so I'm assuming it's somewhere close to sticker, which is something like $180,000 in tuition plus COL. Add opportunity cost (say, $30,000 job over 3 yrs.), and you're already $270,000 down. How do you plan to pay this back, especially when ITE, new law grads are just happy to get any job? Unreasonable advice? You're the one with issues.

jlo301

Postby jlo301 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:06 pm

eagles 86, you basically just said what I was thinking but didnt want to say out loud lol. I may have not been accepted to the most stellar law schools in the country, but i busted my ass to get into those schools and im going to make the most of it when im there. The ranking of your law school isnt the only thing which will determine your success in the legal field. Thankfully i come from a family full of lawyers and will have opportunities which not everyone gets to enjoy and i am thankful for this. I am a great student and just becuase i decide that i may go to a teir 3 schools doesnt mean i will get "a crappy $40k doc review job with no benefits."

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:10 pm

rad law wrote:
Sorry if I come off as elitist. It's not elitism, it's common sense. If OP had gotten meaningful money from either of those schools, I'd say go; that would be a good investment. But OP has failed to disclose his/her monetary situation, so I'm assuming it's somewhere close to sticker, which is something like $180,000 in tuition plus COL.

3 years at 45k for Syracuse is only 135, FWIW. That's still a lot, but its still 45 less than your estimate.

OP, like the others, I'd suggest retaking. I had pretty crappy stats (3.2/159) and got 30,000$ a year at Syracuse. I bombed my first LSAT and retook as well. Trust me, it's a smart decision if you don't have significant scholarship money there.

I've ultimately decided to pay sticker at a T2 in the market I want to work in (Villanova, Philly). However, I would have went to Syracuse no problem for that price.

If you don't want to retake, go to Syracuse for sure. The 'Cuse has a strong alumni base and some national name recognition.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:18 pm

beach_terror wrote:
3 years at 45k for Syracuse is only 135, FWIW. That's still a lot, but its still 45 less than your estimate.

OP, like the others, I'd suggest retaking. I had pretty crappy stats (3.2/159) and got 30,000$ a year at Syracuse. I bombed my first LSAT and retook as well. Trust me, it's a smart decision if you don't have significant scholarship money there.

I've ultimately decided to pay sticker at a T2 in the market I want to work in (Villanova, Philly). However, I would have went to Syracuse no problem for that price.

If you don't want to retake, go to Syracuse for sure. The 'Cuse has a strong alumni base and some national name recognition.

Estimate cost of attendance is a little over $60k each year, as per Syracuse's website.

--LinkRemoved--

edit: bad tags
Last edited by Grizz on Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:22 pm

jlo301 wrote:eagles 86, you basically just said what I was thinking but didnt want to say out loud lol. I may have not been accepted to the most stellar law schools in the country, but i busted my ass to get into those schools and im going to make the most of it when im there. The ranking of your law school isnt the only thing which will determine your success in the legal field. Thankfully i come from a family full of lawyers and will have opportunities which not everyone gets to enjoy and i am thankful for this. I am a great student and just becuase i decide that i may go to a teir 3 schools doesnt mean i will get "a crappy $40k doc review job with no benefits."

Notice that nowhere in any of my posts did I ever mention rankings. Also, nowhere did I say you are going to be railroaded into a crappy job. However, times are tough, and you may be lucky to just get any job, in which case I still maintain that unless you can say with reasonable certainty that one of your connections can get you a job that pays well, paying anywhere close to sticker for these schools is a bad, bad idea. Hell, just retake so you can get some free money. This is pretty reasonable advice.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:26 pm

I may have misread your post radlaw. It sounded like you were saying going to Syracuse is 180,000 in tuition plus additional expenses for COL... not 180,00 total for tuition and COL. My mistake on that.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:30 pm

beach_terror wrote:I may have misread your post radlaw. It sounded like you were saying going to Syracuse is 180,000 in tuition plus additional expenses for COL... not 180,00 total for tuition and COL. My mistake on that.

It's all good, dude.

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:30 pm

jlo301 wrote:eagles 86, you basically just said what I was thinking but didnt want to say out loud lol. I may have not been accepted to the most stellar law schools in the country, but i busted my ass to get into those schools and im going to make the most of it when im there. The ranking of your law school isnt the only thing which will determine your success in the legal field. Thankfully i come from a family full of lawyers and will have opportunities which not everyone gets to enjoy and i am thankful for this. I am a great student and just becuase i decide that i may go to a teir 3 schools doesnt mean i will get "a crappy $40k doc review job with no benefits."

I have to put down these insecure elitist types, don't take it too personally radlaw, there are plenty of others here who do the same thing. I'm going to UMiami with a 3.0/159, no scholarship but I'm confident I can make the investment worthwhile. My freshman GPA doomed any chance of getting $$ lol. However, I do agree that people should think twice about schools that aren't Tier 1s or Tier 2s that dominate a market (i.e: miami, villanova, houston, san diego). Retake the LSAT in June...I'm retaking because I've gotten in the low to mid 160s on practice exams so I know I can do better. You get 3 chances so why not use all your cards?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:33 pm

eagles86 wrote:I have to put down these insecure elitist types, don't take it too personally radlaw, there are plenty of others here who do the same thing.

It's all good man, it's just the internet.

You get 3 chances so why not use all your cards?

YES

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:49 pm

Also, I'm not going to Miami completely naive and expecting $160K right out of school. Don't expect 6 figures out of Syracuse either. I'd avoid NYLS because they're like the 12th best school in the NY area. BigLaw also doesn't mean a lifetime of job security, only a few make partner and you get some making close to $200K who suddenly find themselves out of a job. The economy should be in recovery by 2013 (although it wont get back to 2005 levels before 2015) I'd prefer a medium sized firm that's found its niche in the area and has a decent quality of life. I think people on here consider "shitlaw" the small, ambulance chasers with the "have you been injured" ads all over town.

llama11

Postby llama11 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:44 am

I just talked to someone graduating from Syracuse. This individual stated that of about 190 grads, 20 have jobs. Take that for what you will.

1L2b

Postby 1L2b » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:46 am

I vote Syracuse.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:05 am

llama11 wrote:I just talked to someone graduating from Syracuse. This individual stated that of about 190 grads, 20 have jobs. Take that for what you will.

Go to 'Cuse for about $180k including COL? Great investment!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”