NY LAW SCHOOL vs. SYRACUSE...PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR IDEAS!!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jlo301

NY LAW SCHOOL vs. SYRACUSE...PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR IDEAS!!!

Postby jlo301 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:50 am

hey guys, I'm currently tring to decide between New York Law School and Syracuse Law. Does anybody have any opinions on these two schools that can help me make this decision. Oh and I live in NJ, Syracuse is about 4 hrs away from my family.

redsox

Re: NY LAW SCHOOL vs. SYRACUSE...PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR IDEAS!!!

Postby redsox » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:52 am

How much will you be paying?

CCNP

Postby CCNP » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:35 am

base decision on $.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:41 am

Unless you're getting a lot more $$ at NYLS, Syracuse is probably TCR because of the lower COL.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:32 am

Whatever is cheaper. If the cheaper one is anywhere close to sticker, don't go at all. Retake LSAT and reapply to get into a better school and/or get scholarship money. Going to either of these schools has a good chance of landing you a shitlaw job or without a legal job at all and in hilariously crushing debt. At least if it's cheap and you get a crappy $40k doc review job with no benefits or don't land a legal job at all you won't have spent a ton of money.

Best of luck.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:55 am

I'd agree that cost should be your concern, but Syracuse definitely gives you considerably more options overall than NYLS geographically. Unless NYLS is going to save you significant $$, I'd take Syracuse. If both are at full price.....yikes.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:57 am

jlo301 wrote:hey guys, I'm currently tring to decide between New York Law School and Syracuse Law. Does anybody have any opinions on these two schools that can help me make this decision. Oh and I live in NJ, Syracuse is about 4 hrs away from my family.

My initial reaction is to advise you not to go to either...

nealric

Postby nealric » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:02 pm

NYLS: The worst deal in legal education today.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:40 pm

mistergoft wrote:
jlo301 wrote:hey guys, I'm currently tring to decide between New York Law School and Syracuse Law. Does anybody have any opinions on these two schools that can help me make this decision. Oh and I live in NJ, Syracuse is about 4 hrs away from my family.

My initial reaction is to advise you not to go to either...

This. Take a year off, do something else, improve your application credentials, and reapply. I hear the NYPD is hiring.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:11 am

Syracuse. Not only is the COL much better but I hear they're working hard to improve their stats (a couple girls I know got full tuition schollies with COL just for having above-median on both parts), and I know that this year they made t2 and are trying to make it a trend.

I think people are right when they say that Syracuse has more opportunities. I didn't think about it since it's a dinky city, but you have literally NO competition there. Cornell is the closest school ranked higher. Buffalo's now ranked worse, Albany's ranked worse... all are far away.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:35 am

You do realize there are law schools in NJ, don't you?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:37 am

NYLS has a nice new building, so if comfort :roll: is most important, go there. Naaaaw. Seriously, go to the 'Cuse.

Eric475

Postby Eric475 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:38 am

The problem is Syracuse (the city) really sucks. It's VERY cold and it gets tons of lake effect snow. It's also cloudy almost every day, sun is a rarity. I'm a syracuse undergrad and i can't wait to leave central NY. If you don't mind all that go for it, but it really is something to consider when you're thinking about where you might be spending a large chunk of your life.

That said the campus is beautiful, and the basketball games are awesome.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:43 am

Most people have at least heard of Syracuse so w/out any other info. I'd say go there.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:44 am

Eric475 wrote:The problem is Syracuse (the city) really sucks. It's VERY cold and it gets tons of lake effect snow. It's also cloudy almost every day, sun is a rarity. I'm a syracuse undergrad and i can't wait to leave central NY. If you don't mind all that go for it, but it really is something to consider when you're thinking about where you might be spending a large chunk of your life.

That said the campus is beautiful, and the basketball games are awesome.

it IS freezing! every time I went there for MUN during high school I bought an article of clothing. Just because I was so freaking cold. One year I bought flannel pants from the bookstore. The other year I got a free orange shirt that said something on it. I guess I didn't buy that. But still. But I went to UG in Rochester and it wasn't so bad...I mean the cold sucks but... it's not death most of the time.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:08 am

Syracuse. My two cents, but I think a school that is in tiers 3 & 4 should be avoided at all costs. This is because they aren't ranked. So you have no idea which school is 101, and which school is 149 (in the tier three). At LEAST Syracuse is ranked. Go there unless NYLS offers big money w/o stipulations (btw NYLS NEVER offers money w/o stipulations)

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:09 am

nealric wrote:NYLS: The worst deal in legal education today.

+1.

While neither school is ideal, I have heard good things about 'cuse.

I have never heard anything positive spoken about nyls.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:19 am

I just withdrawn from Syracuse.

It is a great program, I'm glad to see them TII again. Had it been in a city measuring snow in inches and not feet I would have definitely considered it.

It is expensive, but Syracuse *DOES* have a national reputation because of the Basketball team. They were the only NE school I actually considered, and I get into a few Seton Hall, Rutgers Newark, etc.

Enjoy cuse!

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:24 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:

+1.

False. Sometimes you can get away with confusing (lay) people into thinking you go to NYU if you tell them New York Law School.

OP: add my name to the "take a year off, get WE, up the LSAT and then go to a better school" list.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:56 am

vanwinkle wrote:You do realize there are law schools in NJ, don't you?

Seriously. And they are both inexpensive for in-state students. OP - did you get WL'd/rejected from the RU schools? Otherwise you should consider at least one of them over Syracuse/NYLS.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:56 am

patrickd139 wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

+1.

False. Sometimes you can get away with confusing (lay) people into thinking you go to NYU if you tell them New York Law School.

OP: add my name to the "take a year off, get WE, up the LSAT and then go to a better school" list.

lol, well played.

firebreathingliberal

Postby firebreathingliberal » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:47 pm

Isn't Syracuse one of the most expensive schools in the country for law school? If you are paying sticker at these schools then just retake the LSAT and try again next year. Even if you aren't paying sticker I might consider retaking.

jlo301

Postby jlo301 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:07 pm

hey everyone...regarding the NJ schools question, i have appiled to schools in new jersey. I was waitlisted at Rutgers, and i am waiting for a reply back from seton hall (i believe i will be accepted there). I have also applied to uconn and brooklyn, but those are kind of reach schools. Thhe reason i asked the NYLS or Syracuse question was because those were the only schools i have been accpeted to and i wanted to get some opinions in case i dont get accepted anywhere else. I really dont want to take the LSAT again, this was my second time taking it, i greatly improved but i don't want to go through that again lol.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:15 pm

jlo301 wrote:hey everyone...regarding the NJ schools question, i have appiled to schools in new jersey. I was waitlisted at Rutgers, and i am waiting for a reply back from seton hall (i believe i will be accepted there). I have also applied to uconn and brooklyn, but those are kind of reach schools. Thhe reason i asked the NYLS or Syracuse question was because those were the only schools i have been accpeted to and i wanted to get some opinions in case i dont get accepted anywhere else. I really dont want to take the LSAT again, this was my second time taking it, i greatly improved but i don't want to go through that again lol.

Again, if you are paying anywhere close to sticker, don't go, retake LSAT, and reapply.

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:28 pm

Go to syracuse, so you'll never have to explain that NYLS isn't NYU to anybody.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”