Lewis and Clark vs GW Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lousudds

New

Lewis and Clark vs GW Law

Post by lousudds » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:59 pm

I am having a very difficult time deciding between GW Law and Lewis & Clark.

I have a fairly specific interest that makes this decision so difficult. Essentially, I am a person who has been working in animal advocacy for a few years and am interested in animal and environmental law.

Obviously, GW is a well-ranked, nationally-known school that offers tons of opportunities in PI law as well as environmental law. They have some limited stuff in animal law.

L&C was ranked 61st in last year's US News rankings, has the #2 environmental law program in the country, and the only animal law program. The opportunities and resources there in these two fields are simply outstanding. I am concerned that, outside of these two areas, L&C is pretty much considered a regional school.

I don't know where I want to live after law school, but that would likely be dictated by my job, as they are limited in the field of animal law or environmental law advocacy.

GW is $70k per year and L&C is $53. Cost is a concern as I will be taking on loans to pay for law school and plan on going into the PI law area of these fields.

I would be happy living in either Portland or DC.

Thoughts are appreciated.
THanks!

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Lewis and Clark vs GW Law

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:02 pm

The sub-rankings don't matter much, and L&C didn't really step up to the plate with much money, did they?

It's not like you're going from #20 to #30. Going from #20 to a T2 school is a huge drop, especially when it's $17K a year difference.

Go to GW. It's a much, much, much better option.

jazzluvr

New

Post by jazzluvr » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:33 pm

I'm going to L&C because of animal law, but I consulted with a top animal-law attorney before doing applying to schools and he said simply to go to the best school possible - not necessarily one with an animal law program per se. That doesn't matter so much, according to him. (I applied only to L&C and couldn't have gotten into GW even if I'd tried, with my numbers.)

The difference, I think, is going to be mainly during law school, and I frankly don't know how much that's going to affect what you do afterwards in this field - there are very few full-time animal advocacy jobs anyway and according to some in the field, those go to the best and most experienced lawyers, not just students graduating from an animal law program. My feeling is that the animal law program would help you more if you want to start a practice focusing on private animal law cases (dog bites, etc.).

During school, at L&C you'd be able to work on the Animal Law Review (I think Stanford - and maybe Harvard? - is the only other school with an animal law journal), and I console myself with the thought that at least during school I'll get to work on animal advocacy. You'd also get to work in the animal law clinic, which I think is mainly private cases. Those might give you some connections for when you get on the pro bono list to do the good (PI) animal law cases later (which is most likely the only way a new lawyer is going to get to work on those cases).

You could try phoning the top people in the field and asking their opinions. I'd prefer not to mention names here, but have a look at the authors of the Animal Law casebook, try phoning the head of the SALDF (Student Animal Legal Defense Fund) in Portland, etc.

jazzluvr

New

Post by jazzluvr » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:37 pm

Delayed reaction: "GW is 70K a year and L&C is 53"? Huh??? I don't know about GW, but L&C is 36K a year.

eldizknee

Bronze

Post by eldizknee » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:36 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Broncos4Ever

New

Post by Broncos4Ever » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:23 am

In my humble opinion, GW is the no-brainer, even if L&C gives you a full ride.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:10 am

Yeah, I don't think L&C merits consideration unless they want to throw serious money your way. Check into the LRAP programs- you will need them from either.

lousudds

New

Post by lousudds » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks, everyone for your feedback!

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:40 pm

here's something you might be interested in...

--LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”