NYC job prospects coming from UCLA?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dreamweaver87

NYC job prospects coming from UCLA?

Postby dreamweaver87 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:01 pm

I've heard varying opinions about this and I have to make my decision very soon. UCLA has been my 2st choice for a long time, but now I'm starting to freak out about not being able to get back to NYC to work after graduating. I have heard that summer internships means a lot in raising your chances, but I'm going to try to get in-state tuition for 2L and 3L years and I'm not sure I'll be able to do it if I go to NYC to work for the summer after 1L. (Also, I'd prefer to be back around my family/friends if possible during the summer) Does anyone know if it's possible to do this?

I am also considering Fordham and that deposit is due for me tomorrow, hence this freak out moment. I realize that UCLA has a much better national name and I know Fordham will get me a job in NYC more easily (obviously), so this is a really tough call. I'll have debt either way, although a bit less if I choose Fordham.

Oh, and I don't think I want to go into corporate law. I'm not positive, but I'm considering PI (and using the LRAP to pay off my loans).

Bert

Re: NYC job prospects coming from UCLA?

Postby Bert » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:07 pm

dreamweaver87 wrote:I've heard varying opinions about this and I have to make my decision very soon. UCLA has been my 2st choice for a long time, but now I'm starting to freak out about not being able to get back to NYC to work after graduating. I have heard that summer internships means a lot in raising your chances, but I'm going to try to get in-state tuition for 2L and 3L years and I'm not sure I'll be able to do it if I go to NYC to work for the summer after 1L. (Also, I'd prefer to be back around my family/friends if possible during the summer) Does anyone know if it's possible to do this?

I am also considering Fordham and that deposit is due for me tomorrow, hence this freak out moment. I realize that UCLA has a much better national name and I know Fordham will get me a job in NYC more easily (obviously), so this is a really tough call. I'll have debt either way, although a bit less if I choose Fordham.

Oh, and I don't think I want to go into corporate law. I'm not positive, but I'm considering PI (and using the LRAP to pay off my loans).

Sorry, had to point that out.

As for in-state, there is an article on TLS that I read that said you need to stay in state your first summer to get residency in California. Don't know how veritable the article is, but I'll find it and post it shortly.

Bert

Postby Bert » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 pm

So, according to the TLS article for California, "California makes in-state tuition available to students in their second year. However, there are a few caveats. First of all, the individual petitioning for residency must reside continuously in the state of California for one year. This means no spending summers back home if home is not located within Golden State. You must have been in the state for one full year prior to the first day of classes, so arrive before classes start. Students must also furnish evidence that they intend to make CA their home for the long haul, including the signing of a "long term" lease, a CA income tax return, registering to vote in CA elections, getting a CA drivers license or state ID, and/or registering your car in California. Additionally, if your parents do not live in CA, then they cannot have claimed you as a dependent on their tax returns for the year prior to your petitioning for in-state tuition (the year in which you attend school). Residency is granted when these procedures are followed, making UC law schools cheaper in their final two years."

For anybody who didn't see the article and who may need the information, the link is: http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-scho ... dency.html

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:12 pm

UCLA participates in an East Coast off-campus recruiting program with a consortium of 4 other law schools, including Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and USC. You should be able to find NYC employment coming out of UCLA if you hustle a little bit when looking for a job.

dreamweaver87

Postby dreamweaver87 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:14 pm

Bert wrote:
dreamweaver87 wrote:I've heard varying opinions about this and I have to make my decision very soon. UCLA has been my 2st choice for a long time, but now I'm starting to freak out about not being able to get back to NYC to work after graduating.quote]

Sorry, had to point that out.

As for in-state, there is an article on TLS that I read that said you need to stay in state your first summer to get residency in California. Don't know how veritable the article is, but I'll find it and post it shortly.

Whoa...sure hope that wasn't a Freudian slip ;)

Bert wrote:So, according to the TLS article for California, "California makes in-state tuition available to students in their second year. However, there are a few caveats. First of all, the individual petitioning for residency must reside continuously in the state of California for one year. This means no spending summers back home if home is not located within Golden State. You must have been in the state for one full year prior to the first day of classes, so arrive before classes start. Students must also furnish evidence that they intend to make CA their home for the long haul, including the signing of a "long term" lease, a CA income tax return, registering to vote in CA elections, getting a CA drivers license or state ID, and/or registering your car in California. Additionally, if your parents do not live in CA, then they cannot have claimed you as a dependent on their tax returns for the year prior to your petitioning for in-state tuition (the year in which you attend school). Residency is granted when these procedures are followed, making UC law schools cheaper in their final two years."

For anybody who didn't see the article and who may need the information, the link is: http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-scho ... dency.html

Thanks for the info...that's saddening. The reason I asked was because I talked to Dean Schwartz at the ASD and asked and he said he didn't think it was impossible and that they had students who worked in NY who got it, but they had to show rejection letters from CA firms with whom the student had interviewed. But, then again, he's the Dean of Admissions at an ASD, so who knows how unbiased he was being/how difficult it is to do that.

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:23 pm

I found the link about the above mentioned consortium on Wisconsin's site...I think it is somewhat telling about job prospects, considering it lists the employers who interviewed students at the off-campus program: --LinkRemoved--

Learning about this consortium was honestly the most important thing I got out of ASD because I had never seen it mentioned anywhere on the UCLA site.

dreamweaver87

Postby dreamweaver87 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:58 pm

tallboone wrote:I found the link about the above mentioned consortium on Wisconsin's site...I think it is somewhat telling about job prospects, considering it lists the employers who interviewed students at the off-campus program: --LinkRemoved--

Learning about this consortium was honestly the most important thing I got out of ASD because I had never seen it mentioned anywhere on the UCLA site.

Thanks a lot for the info! Are you attending UCLA and trying to go elsewhere afterward, as well?

That link actually makes me feel better, too, because I was afraid that it would be all big firms, but I see some government agencies on there.

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:11 pm

I was having a tough time deciding about UCLA because I'm from so cal and went there for undergrad but i'm not sure I want to live here forever (it might be nice to go to the bay area or DC/NYC for a few years after graduating, especially if thats where the job offers are). For that reason, I'm most likely going to Michigan in the fall, but I think it is definitely possible to get anywhere in the country with a UCLA degree...just not quite as easy.

Honestly, I think the quality of UCLA/Texas/Vandy is such that you should choose to go to those schools over anything lower, at least for NYC since it is such a huge legal market and can absorb a bunch of different schools (thus I would pick those over Fordham). If someone wanted to go to DC for sure after graduating, I would advise going to GW over UCLA/Texas/Vandy.

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:17 pm

Also, are you still waiting on Cornell OP? I think it's generally harder to get into UCLA than Cornell, and the latter would obviously be the best choice for NYC.

And one final thought: since you think you might want to do public interest after graduating, I think that this really tips the balance in UCLA's favor. It really is known for its great public interest program, and at least for me personally, finding a job in public interest would be far more important than finding a job in NYC (or my preferred market) immediately upon graduation. You will have a better shot at landing a public interest/gov't position coming out of UCLA without a doubt. And at least for me, finding such a position on either coast would be more important to my personal happiness than the location. UCLA is certainly nationally known enough that you would be able to go back to NYC after a few years working a LA public interest job.

dreamweaver87

Postby dreamweaver87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:23 am

tallboone wrote:Also, are you still waiting on Cornell OP? I think it's generally harder to get into UCLA than Cornell, and the latter would obviously be the best choice for NYC.

And one final thought: since you think you might want to do public interest after graduating, I think that this really tips the balance in UCLA's favor. It really is known for its great public interest program, and at least for me personally, finding a job in public interest would be far more important than finding a job in NYC (or my preferred market) immediately upon graduation. You will have a better shot at landing a public interest/gov't position coming out of UCLA without a doubt. And at least for me, finding such a position on either coast would be more important to my personal happiness than the location. UCLA is certainly nationally known enough that you would be able to go back to NYC after a few years working a LA public interest job.

Thanks a lot for all the advice. I did hear that UCLA had a good public interest program, but I didn't know how to be sure of just how good it was because a lot of schools seem to advertise that.

Also, unfortunately, I am STILL waiting on Cornell. (And USC, but that's pretty much out for me at this point unless they happen to offer me a big scholarship).

dreamweaver87

Postby dreamweaver87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:25 am

speaking of cornell, i'm wondering how much the rolling admissions process factors into their decision making. because some strange things have happened to me this admission cycle. in at ucla with some money, in at minnesota with a lot of money, in at fordham with some money...but waitlisted at wisconsin? i applied late, so i'm assuming that's why, but still.

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:29 am

OP, you should call the admissions office and see what's going on with your application, tell them that Cornell would be your first choice and that you are facing a deposit deadline with UCLA. Tell them you are sending a LOCI and then send one pronto. If you are in at UCLA with money, you should be in at Cornell without a problem. How late did you apply?

dreamweaver87

Postby dreamweaver87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:35 am

tallboone wrote:OP, you should call the admissions office and see what's going on with your application, tell them that Cornell would be your first choice and that you are facing a deposit deadline with UCLA. Tell them you are sending a LOCI and then send one pronto. If you are in at UCLA with money, you should be in at Cornell without a problem. How late did you apply?

I applied latest for Cornell...about a week before their deadline. But, they've just been really slow with the whole process. I didn't even get an e-mail saying my file was complete until mid-March...two months after I applied. I should probably follow up at this point, though. It's getting pretty stressful.

dreamweaver87

Postby dreamweaver87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:09 am

bump...anyone else have thoughts/know any more about the residency issue?

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:48 am

dreamweaver87 wrote:bump...anyone else have thoughts/know any more about the residency issue?

What residency issue? If you want a chance at getting in-state tuition, you HAVE to stay in California during the summer of your 1L year. (That said, I know a guy who was still rejected residency despite staying in-state during the summer.) I'm not even sure residency makes that much of a difference though, considering it will be 50k or something by your 3L year, (although it's over 50k OOS your 1L year...so I guess it's a bit of a bonus).

Location of the school/which offices go to that school's OCI is far less important for PI than biglaw though. (For biglaw, I'd recommend people to go to the school that has offices from the markets they want to work.) For PI, most people mass mail their own applications to find jobs, so perhaps going to UCLA won't be that detrimental to working in NYC PI.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”