IUB v. USCarolina vs. TTT

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to go?!

IU-Bloomington (sticker)
47%
South Carolina (17k/yr)
35%
Cumberland School of Law (full ride)
18%

Total votes: 17

Wheretogo2013

IUB v. USCarolina vs. TTT

Postby Wheretogo2013 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:29 pm

So, it's decision-making time and I'm torn. I'm not sure where I want to live, but I want to keep my options open. I want to do some type of prosecutorial work, either federal, state, or local, for a couple years out of law school. I have been in Birmingham for undergrad and want to get out of Alabama, but it is hard to turn down a full scholarship. However, Indiana will open doors for me that the others can't, just in case I change my mind later. Advice, comments, suggestions? Please help!

Grizz

Re: IUB v. USCarolina vs. TTT

Postby Grizz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:34 pm

USC. IUB isn't worth sticker, and a Cumberland degree might as well be toilet paper. Go to USC, live in SC forever. Have a good life.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:36 pm

IUB's out of state tuition is > $40,000.

Paying that much to go there my friend, is retarded.

I wish you had better options though... no U of Alabama?

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:58 pm

Eeeek. I'm not sure going to USC will help "keep your options open." I mean yes, it dominates the SC market which will help you, and it's not as if you couldn't get a job anywhere else once you had some experience, but you'd definitely be in SC for a few years unless you know someone in another state who will hire you upon graduation. Also note that the SC legal market is saturated and good jobs for recent grads were hard to come by even before the recession.

(And I believe USC is a TTT, at least right now--it was a Tier 2 on last year's rankings. I don't know where it traditionally is or how employers outside of SC would see it though.)

Don't know anything about IUB, but that's a big price difference.... if it won't give you significantly better options it may not be worth the risk.

Wheretogo2013

Postby Wheretogo2013 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:13 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:IUB's out of state tuition is > $40,000.

Paying that much to go there my friend, is retarded.

I wish you had better options though... no U of Alabama?

My application is held for further review. No clue when it will be done.

I'm also waitlisted at UGA and WashU, hopefully one will come in. If one does, it will most likely be UGA, since WashU has overadmitted... :/

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:24 pm

IUB will open more doors in terms of giving you a wider geographic net to cast. South Carolina will give you solid options in SC, but not only SC.

You'd be paying $51k more for IUB. You have a higher ceiling, but its certainly not certain that you'd be better off at below median at IU than you would be at below median at SC. Depending on where you place on IUB, the $51k could either be a great investment or a disastrous one. If you go to IUB, you'd essentially be betting that you could score well enough to make IUB's better placement work for... because that better placement will only make a difference if you're in the top 25%.

Like so many other questions... it really depends on what you want out of it.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:29 pm

danquayle wrote:IUB will open more doors in terms of giving you a wider geographic net to cast. South Carolina will give you solid options in SC, but not only SC.

You'd be paying $51k more for IUB. You have a higher ceiling, but its certainly not certain that you'd be better off at below median at IU than you would be at below median at SC. Depending on where you place on IUB, the $51k could either be a great investment or a disastrous one. If you go to IUB, you'd essentially be betting that you could score well enough to make IUB's better placement work for... because that better placement will only make a difference if you're in the top 25%.

Like so many other questions... it really depends on what you want out of it.

To OP - don't plan on graduation top 25% because there's a 75% chance you wont.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”