Help!! SLS vs HLS

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Given the specifics from my first post, do you recommend SLS or HLS for me?

Stanford
52%
Tossup
14%
Harvard
33%

Total votes: 69

saxamaflob

Re: Help!! SLS vs HLS

Postby saxamaflob » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:08 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
dutchstriker wrote:Wow, people really hate Harvard. Seems to me like this is a much tougher choice than the votes seem to indicate.

+1. I'm surprised to see so many Stanford votes. Hell, I'm going to SLS next year, and I voted for Harvard. For such a great school, HLS gets a bad rap on TLS.

Yes—I completely agree. Even though I'm strongly leaning toward SLS, I really think the decision is a tough one. The advantages and disadvantages are so closely balanced on the whole… I visited HLS and loved it (though SLS was equally amazing), and I think it's an excellent school.

saxamaflob

Postby saxamaflob » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:18 pm

Kretzy wrote:+1. I did the same, and I'm even pretty sure I met saxamaflob while at SLS (who seemed like a great guy with whom I'd love to have class).

:D yes, I probably met you there! but I can't say it's as easy to guess your identity the other way around… anyway, thanks for the vote of confidence

ProudFather

Postby ProudFather » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:38 pm

If you're really interested in technology and what is happening in technology not just now, but in the next 5+ years, I think you'd have a hard time finding a better place to be than Stanford. I'm not saying this from the ivory tower, academic world perspective, but more from the practical what's really happening in technology and the internet perspective. At the end of the day, Stanford is in Silicon Valley, and I'm not sure there's any other place in the world with a greater concentration of technology leaders/innovators.

As others have said, it seems like the educational opportunities between the two are a bit of a toss-up, but if you're really interested in technology then I wouldn't overlook the connections you can make at Stanford and the sheer amount of energy and excitement you'll find revolving around technology and the internet and their role in society today. Where else are you going to find out that the dude you've been owning in ultimate frisbee for the past few months is actually an original founder of Hotmail and one of the most influential VCs in the world? Or that the friend of a friend you just had lunch with is employee number 5 at Facebook, etc? I mean, when Mark Zuckerberg actually wanted to turn Facebook into a real company, he left Harvard and came to Palo Alto (I know, he's from here, so it's not really a fair example).

At the end of the day, it just depends on what your interests are, but I really think if you have strong interests in science and technology then you can't beat spending a few years smack in the middle of Silicon Valley.

saxamaflob

Postby saxamaflob » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:56 pm

Does the following information from Princeton Review have any effect on your response?

Stanford University's Best Law Schools Rankings
    #5 Best Career Prospects
    #3 Best Classroom Experience
    #2 Best Quality of Life
    #4 Best Professors
    #3 Toughest To Get Into

Harvard University's Best Law Schools Rankings
    #8 Best Career Prospects
    #2 Toughest To Get Into

Yale University's Best Law Schools Rankings
    #1 Toughest To Get Into

Return to “Choosing a Law School”