SLS vs. reapply to Y/H

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

SLS vs. reapply to H/Y

1. Decline SLS, keep working and reapply to HYS next autumn.
18%
2. Go to SLS and be content with it.
71%
3. Go to SLS - with intention of transferring.
2%
4. Defer SLS for a year and try to find an alt. career path
9%

Total votes: 103

DerrickRose

Re: SLS vs. reapply to Y/H

Postby DerrickRose » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:56 pm

td6624 wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:I want to read the original of the OP really badly.

Stanford Law grads are second rate

The ghost of Billy Rehnquist is gonna come and drop some Ebeneezer Scrooge knowledge on that fool.

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:58 pm

IMO stanford > harvard with the way smaller classes and S is not far behind Y either just go to S so we can help someone with an actual problem

Billy Blanks

Postby Billy Blanks » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:59 pm

I'm with Kretzy on this one. Well, I'm with him in the way that I don't want to comment on your choices.

Let me put it this way: Most people at SLS seem to have entered knowing that it was the right school for them. A few entered for other reasons (one woman's mom got sick, while living in the Bay, so she had to go to school close by to help out around the home), but they're the exception and generally make the most out a strange situation. Do you really want to go to a school surrounded by people who think SLS is the best law school in the world? I'm not talking about ranking, but I do get the sense that most people matriculate knowing that they will be happy at SLS and that it is undoubtedly the place for them. Wouldn't it be terribly annoying to be surrounded by people like this if you're regretting your decision? If you realize you do really want to go, then go. But if you're wavering, I think you may be better off taking some time off.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:00 pm

soundgardener wrote:Either this is a flame or you need to get your head checked. Possibly both.

:lol:

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:00 pm

For someone who may have grown up on the East Coast, especially in New England, the stature of Yale & Harvard is equivalent to Oxford & Cambridge in England. Terms like "prestige this or that" are really not applicable because the feeling is more akin to hearing the national anthem played, viewing the Pope for Catholics or seeing the flags of Isreal for those who have suffered.
The OP came here for advice writing that he/she had no family or friends and , basically, was asking for more knowledgeable people (you all) to give advice.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:02 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:For someone who may have grown up on the East Coast, especially in New England, the stature of Yale & Harvard is equivalent to Oxford & Cambridge in England. Terms like "prestige this or that" are really not applicable because the feeling is more akin to hearing the national anthem played, viewing the Pope for Catholics or seeing the flags of Isreal for those who have suffered.
The OP came here for advice writing that he/she had no family or friends and , basically, was asking for more knowledgeable people (you all) to give advice.

:lol: :lol:

I was born and grew up in Europe and even I know that Stanford is one of the best out there.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:14 pm

But not everyone does. The OP asked for advice, not abuse.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:22 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:But not everyone does. The OP asked for advice, not abuse.

Honestly, how ignorant and limited one must be not to know this. And why even create this thread on the first place. The answer is quite evident here.

If H/Y rejected him this year, obviously for a reason, there is not much he can do to increase his chances. The likelihood of rejection is way too high. Go to Stanford, bust your ass, if you end up at the top of the class, make up a good reason for H to accept you and transfer.

I sorry, but I'm having hard time comprehending all this nonsense. I'm a Harvard troll and this thread makes no sense even with all my love for H.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:23 pm

I think that we all understand your point of view.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:24 pm

td6624 wrote:

3rd rate.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:32 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:But not everyone does. The OP asked for advice, not abuse.

OP should know something about the schools he is applying to

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm

Die, fire, etc.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:35 pm

CalamityZane wrote:First post here, and I don't want to seem like an ingrate right out the gate.

EDIT:
Already got a deserved bashing... so I'm trimming this down. THANK YOU for your opinions!

To put this in perspective: never even heard of Stanford until 8th grade or so... was always raised with East Coast Ivy-worship, and never got to attend one for various reasons.

I tell my friends I'm into SLS: "uh... why go out west for school?" :oops:

I don't have much to gauge this wonderful opportunity. No lawyers in the family or friends' families. I'm coming from small-town mentality I guess. Anyway, time to send the deposit soon.

I'll respond to this post, since it seems more logical:

First off, the question of "should I go to law school" is something you need to address independently of the school you will attend. You may very well be one of the MANY attorneys who stay in law long enough to pay off their student loans and then get out (or even sooner than that) because they chose the profession based on prestige and money, but can't stand the work.

Second, Stanford is one of the top universities for most graduate programs as is evidenced by their research funding (look into it). I'd guess that most people would consider Stanford better, on an institution-wide level for graduate education, than most of the ivy league.

Frankly? It sounds like you need to take time off - to mature.
Last edited by Great Satchmo on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:37 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I think that we all understand your point of view.

Great.

Not a flame. Can't speak to your second point.
I don't have ANY friends/family in law, so it's hard for me to size up these issues.

1st degree of ignorance!!! His justification is law and East Coast LOL as if Stanford's top3 is limited to law only. If it comes to general prestige, Stanford doesn't fall far behind Harvard and probably beats Columbia abroad. Stanford is an excellent school, and OP is a complete dumbass.

And where is crackberry??? :P

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:39 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
td6624 wrote:

3rd rate.

I've heard this too, fwiw.

Cali167

Postby Cali167 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:55 pm

I'm not surprised you haven't heard of sTTTanford. Do you really want to take on debt to go to a school like that? It's clear that law school is not for you. Cut your losses and apply to the elevator union.

wut?

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:59 pm

Reapply. SLS is a third tier law school.

Also lol @ all the Crackberry comments.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:03 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

leftofthedial

Postby leftofthedial » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:13 pm

CalamityZane wrote:
leftofthedial wrote:
CalamityZane wrote: I screwed up a bit by not coming out of college with a clear career direction.

Really? Really???

Don't most Lib Arts folks have this dilemma? I've never had any real guidance in this department. I'm one of those kids whose parents had the hippy philosophy - do what you want, follow your bliss, etc. Except I didn't find much bliss anywhere :? :x

Law is my commitment to commit to something. :|

I'm a liberal arts guy that didn't know what I wanted to do when I got out of school either, but liberal arts taught me how to think. I worked at a law firm out of school, hated it, and went on to do things that intrigued me, and those things led to other things, and now, many years later, I'm applying to law school because it is the next step for my goals. But I couldn't imagine having applied any earlier. All those experiences taught me about what makes me happy and what doesn't.

So you're young - REALLY YOUNG. There's no rush - your parents were right! If you've only been looking for your "bliss" for a year, then you need to keep looking, not commit to law school just to commit to something. Hell, if you just want commitment, commit to finding a job and sending me a quarter of your check every two weeks.

I assume you're not married, no kids...now is the time when you can work weird jobs for very little cash and get by no problem. Try it out, be ready for it to hurt a little (I mean, it is growing up), and enjoy it. I promise, it all works out in the end. Relax.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:OP: Don't make a decision based on what a bunch of people on a message board tell you. You obviously have different priorities than many of us, and moving west isn't something you don't want to do.

Honestly, I say you stick with your gut. Once you take on the debt you'll just feel locked in to your decision. All you should take out of this thread is that a Stanford admission is an incredible opportunity, and it's unlikely that one would regret it. If that isn't enough to make attending Stanford not feel like settling and make you happy, then you might not want to do it.

*checking Stanford waitlist thread for Rock Chalk posts*

If you want to go to law school, and you get into Stanford - not going is a wrong answer. What opportunities do you miss out on being an SLS grade that a Yale grad has? Sure, it might be easier, but from SLS you can do anything an HLS or YLS grad can do.

Sure, if you get into Yale, Harvard, AND Stanford then things are different...but if you want to go to law school and get into SLS, unless there is an axe murderer who has lost track of you, who happens to live in Palo Alto and constantly roams Stanford and checks stanfordwho.stanford.edu....SLS is the right choice.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:22 pm

Unlike HLS, SLS has almost nobody who struck out at OCI. Go there for the security.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:24 pm

Reapply. Accept nothing less than full ride from Yale IMO.

The Dan

Postby The Dan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:35 pm

For the love of God, you should not apply again. You should either take the offer or defer. Did you go to the ASW? Stanford is an awesome place. Screw your friends and family who don't know how good it is. Their ignorance is not your concern. Make the decision for yourself, not so your parents can brag to their friends.

DeepSeaLaw

Postby DeepSeaLaw » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:02 am

rayiner wrote:Unlike HLS, SLS has almost nobody who struck out at OCI. Go there for the security.

FYI--2 people, according to their CS office. Not too shabby.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”