S v. CLS ($) v. Chicago ($$) - Ultimate Showdown

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
AngryAvocado

Re: S v. CLS ($) v. Chicago ($$) - Ultimate Showdown

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:26 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Off topic but I am curious as to the Angry Avacado Friend or Foe monicker as this is a genuine debate within the pet community regarding the element persin contained in avacados which is toxic to dogs. Although the ASPCA's position is that avacados are toxic to dogs a pet food manufacturer created & markets Avoderm, an avacado based dog food that can cause seizures & death in dogs.
P.S. Go to Stanford.

I stumbled across it on a Yahoo health page talking about whether avocados were healthy (for humans) to eat on a regular basis. I thought it was funny and appropriate given my username, so I "borrowed" it. That's the first I've heard about the dog stuff...maybe I should stop feeding my Mom's chihuahua guacamole to make him feel like he's back in the homeland.

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
mochafury wrote:Well thanks for that. Any other takers?

By the way, I contest DerrickRose's claim that "60K barely puts a dent" into cost of attendance @ Chi. That's almost 50% tuition, homes.

68K Cost of Attendance * 3 = 203K - 60K = 140K. Still a lot of debt.

It's the difference between monthly payments of $1611 and $2300 for 10 years. May not affect the OP (especially in govt, you'd be using debt forgiveness anyway) but it's worth considering.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:37 am

WTF dude, don't come up in here acting all torn by your happy predicament. jk.. I' be a good sport and say congrats. If it were me, I'd take Chicago in a heartbeat. The most money, plus the best city, plus ultra elite. I can't say most prestigious because all three are good, probably equals.

...but Chicago is the greatest city on the planet. That's not an opinion.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:42 am

thinkbig wrote:WTF dude, don't come up in here acting all torn by your happy predicament. jk.. I' be a good sport and say congrats. If it were me, I'd take Chicago in a heartbeat. The most money, plus the best city, plus ultra elite. I can't say most prestigious because all three are good, probably equals.

I don't know about that. I know people above median/around median at Chicago and Columbia who got locked out of biglaw, but supposedly almost every single person at Stanford got a good job out of OCI or whatever...I think HYS are much safer ite than the rest. (And a CLS 2L posted that to be "safe" for biglaw you needed to be top 1/3 this past OCI.)

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:54 am

fortissimo wrote:
thinkbig wrote:WTF dude, don't come up in here acting all torn by your happy predicament. jk.. I' be a good sport and say congrats. If it were me, I'd take Chicago in a heartbeat. The most money, plus the best city, plus ultra elite. I can't say most prestigious because all three are good, probably equals.

I don't know about that. I know people above median/around median at Chicago and Columbia who got locked out of biglaw, but supposedly almost every single person at Stanford got a good job out of OCI or whatever...I think HYS are much safer ite than the rest. (And a CLS 2L posted that to be "safe" for biglaw you needed to be top 1/3 this past OCI.)

What you said is in line with his scholarship offers. Nothing at Stanford vs. $$ at Chicago makes it a tossup, imo.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:01 am

fortissimo wrote:

If you're above median at Chicago or Columbia, I'm inclined to think it's more unrealistic expectations and/or poor interviewing skills than the school. Both schools are reporting something like 70% offers through 2L OCI alone, so I don't think it's quite as bad as people are suggesting. Sure, you might not be guaranteed biglaw anymore, but they've still placed ~2/3 the class in 2L OCI during the lawpocalypse of '09. That's not half bad, and things will likely only get gradually better from there.

Also, will OP clarify whether he's in at SLS or on the WL? It's worth noting since the consensus response may not even be an option.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:05 am

AngryAvocado wrote:
fortissimo wrote:

If you're above median at Chicago or Columbia, I'm inclined to think it's more unrealistic expectations and/or poor interviewing skills than the school. Both schools are reporting something like 70% offers through 2L OCI alone, so I don't think it's quite as bad as people are suggesting. Sure, you might not be guaranteed biglaw anymore, but they've still placed ~2/3 the class in 2L OCI during the lawpocalypse of '09. That's not half bad, and things will likely only get gradually better from there.

Also, will OP clarify whether he's in at SLS or on the WL? It's worth noting since the consensus response may not even be an option.

Are you sure? Didn't Chicago and CLS place around 70-80% pre-ite? Did the school report that 70% of the class got offers or 70% of the class who got callbacks got offers? If it's the first it sounds like they placed at pre-ITE rates then (i.e. 70-80% of the class), which makes it extremely questionable or maybe pre-ite is just a huge scam, like global warming. Especially taken in context of ~50% of the Class of 2009 at both schools having SA positions at graduation, it makes me skeptical.

Edit: You are a 0L. Not that I am disinclined to believe a 0L (tbh, I am) but I got my info out 2Ls that I know IRL.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:17 am

fortissimo wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:

Are you sure? Didn't Chicago and CLS place around 70-80% pre-ite? Did the school report that 70% of the class got offers or 70% of the class who got callbacks got offers? If it's the first it sounds like they placed at pre-ITE rates then (i.e. 70-80% of the class), which makes it questionable or maybe pre-ite is just a huge scam, like global warming.

Edit: You are a 0L. Never mind then.

Check out the CLS OCI thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=115514

Pre-ITE, CLS and Chicago were placing 80% and 70% (respectively) into V100 alone. Now it's more like ~60% into V100, and 70-75% into biglaw in general. That's a significant difference, but hardly apocalyptic.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:26 am

fortissimo wrote:
Edit: You are a 0L. Not that I am disinclined to believe a 0L (tbh, I am) but I got my info out 2Ls that I know IRL.

I should point out that these numbers are pretty in line with what I heard speaking with Chicago 1Ls and 2Ls. It's also consistent with stories in the OCI callback thread. I can't speak to CLS first hand, but people seem to think the numbers in the CLS OCI thread are accurate (someone even said NYU released numbers to current students that are slightly better). I'm not trying to discount your friends' anecdotes, but they are just that: anecdotes.

mochafury

Postby mochafury » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:24 am

To answer Avocado's inquiry...I'm WL at S, so the C v. C is more relevant here. But even if I got in at S...60K + cost of living benefits is a super boost for someone who doesn't want biglaw that badly.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:34 am

mochafury wrote:To answer Avocado's inquiry...I'm WL at S, so the C v. C is more relevant here. But even if I got in at S...60K + cost of living benefits is a super boost for someone who doesn't want biglaw that badly.

I agree. I just thought it might be helpful to clarify since the majority of the responses thus far have heavily favored Stanford, and now more people might chime in on CvC (which might end up being the crucial question).

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:52 am

So, if you get into Stanford, the answer is pretty clearly Stanford.

C vs. C is a tough decion. 30k isn't a huge difference, but Chicago is also probably slighlty better for your interests. On the other hand, you liked the feel of CLS better. Any preference for a larger or smaller school?

If you have geographic preference, choose based on that. If not, I'd say go to Chicago (assuming you merely prefer chicago less, rather than actively disliking it).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”