Texas Tech (Full Ride) vs U-Miami (Sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Texas Tech (Full Ride) vs U-Miami (Sticker)

Texas Tech
74%
U-Miami
26%

Total votes: 46

eagles86

Re: Texas Tech (Full Ride) vs U-Miami (Sticker)

Postby eagles86 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:52 pm

I'm going to Miami and I believe it is as good as any tier 2 and places great in South Florida. That said, go to Texas Tech because you seem like you wish to stick around the area.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:16 pm

RVP11 wrote:
ggocat wrote:I recommend this article (http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1) and the regional chart of employment prospects found in that article.

That regional chart is not really a regional chart. Let's just stop calling it that.

OK. It's not regional. It's city-specific and state-specific. So I guess we'll call it a "local" chart?

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:25 pm

I say take the full-ride, since you seem content with staying in Texas.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:38 pm

ggocat wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
ggocat wrote:I recommend this article (http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1) and the regional chart of employment prospects found in that article.

That regional chart is not really a regional chart. Let's just stop calling it that.

OK. It's not regional. It's city-specific and state-specific. So I guess we'll call it a "local" chart?

It's just a bunch of lists organized by region or state. Anyone who's seen the standard NLJ250 chart could make the same thing.

If anything, it's misleading because it might make someone think that the composition listed is that certain school's placement IN THAT REGION, when that's not what it is.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:59 pm

RVP11 wrote:If anything, it's misleading because it might make someone think that the composition listed is that certain school's placement IN THAT REGION, when that's not what it is.

Why would someone think that the composition listed is in that state/city? Each school listed identifies the percentage employed in state. The chart is not misleading.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:17 pm

Save $120 grand and go with the full ride. The difference in prestige is not commensurate with the difference in price tag. You will likely get similar paying jobs coming out of either school (just in different states), so go where you will debt will be minimal (assuming you would be cool with working in Texas, at least for a few years).

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:19 pm

ggocat wrote:
RVP11 wrote:If anything, it's misleading because it might make someone think that the composition listed is that certain school's placement IN THAT REGION, when that's not what it is.

Why would someone think that the composition listed is in that state/city? Each school listed identifies the percentage employed in state. The chart is not misleading.

Talk to some of the many people on TLS who've cited it as such.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:49 pm

RVP11 wrote:
ggocat wrote:

Talk to some of the many people on TLS who've cited it as such.

"people on TLS" ... glad you have a reliable, credible source.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:28 am

Texas Tech has a truly awesome program. I think it is one of the most under-rated schools on USNWR. It consistently outscores UT, SMU, and UoH on bar passage, AND job placement 9 months out. It is very affordable at sticker, and the new Lanier Law Center is beautiful. Living in Lubbock is cheap, and while many of you might think west Texas and tumble weeds, Lubbock metropolitan area has ~400,000 people. Geographically, it has the largest land claim in the nation, people there are really sweet, and it is made abundantly obvious from the moment you step in the door you are welcome there, and not just LSAC number L12134562.

As I look at the peer review scores, and judges and attorneys scores for the USNWR 2011 rankings, Tech has comparable rankings with quite a few TII schools, and even beats one TII school. What is preventing Texas Tech law from actually making it onto the top 100 is money spent per student, which is sad as Tech has a ton of cash.

I think that Tech should adopt a strategy like UH and Miami have done over the past few years, and attract JD's as professors and faculty from T5 law schools (YHSCN), I think Tech could easily be ~70 or so within the next 5 years. That would be awesome, have 5 top 100 schools in the state. It will be interesting to see how UNT Law will compete with other schools in the country, and the rumors I'm hearing is that TCU is looking to acquire Wesleyan law.

So I think TTU > Miami is my outlook as well. I have until May 5th to make a final decision.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:37 am

thinkbig wrote:
"people on TLS" ... glad you have a reliable, credible source.

WTF? Source? I'm not citing others for a proposition. I don't need a source.

I've been here a long time and I've seen people say "hey, look at this graph, so-and-so does better in DFW!"

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:52 am

Gatriel wrote:Texas Tech has a truly awesome program. I think it is one of the most under-rated schools on USNWR. It consistently outscores UT, SMU, and UoH on bar passage, AND job placement 9 months out. It is very affordable at sticker, and the new Lanier Law Center is beautiful. Living in Lubbock is cheap, and while many of you might think west Texas and tumble weeds, Lubbock metropolitan area has ~400,000 people. Geographically, it has the largest land claim in the nation, people there are really sweet, and it is made abundantly obvious from the moment you step in the door you are welcome there, and not just LSAC number L12134562.

As I look at the peer review scores, and judges and attorneys scores for the USNWR 2011 rankings, Tech has comparable rankings with quite a few TII schools, and even beats one TII school. What is preventing Texas Tech law from actually making it onto the top 100 is money spent per student, which is sad as Tech has a ton of cash.

I think that Tech should adopt a strategy like UH and Miami have done over the past few years, and attract JD's as professors and faculty from T5 law schools (YHSCN), I think Tech could easily be ~70 or so within the next 5 years. That would be awesome, have 5 top 100 schools in the state. It will be interesting to see how UNT Law will compete with other schools in the country, and the rumors I'm hearing is that TCU is looking to acquire Wesleyan law.

So I think TTU > Miami is my outlook as well. I have until May 5th to make a final decision.

Still a chance you'll end up working BigAmarilloBeefLaw if you're not at the top of your class. But I vote TTU on account of the full scholarship.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:09 am

JordynAsh wrote:
Still a chance you'll end up working BigAmarilloBeefLaw if you're not at the top of your class. But I vote TTU on account of the full scholarship.

Yeah, this is the part the scares me about TTU. I'm a pretty good student, and have always done well, so I already know to be ready for 12-16 hours of school + study a day. I am preparing myself now, and grad school is a good warmup. I know that there are a few 3.9 172+ people going to TTU next year, and I can only assume they will finish top of the class. You must be top 20 to graduate Coif, which is what I'd be shooting for, so were probably down around to 16 or so at this point.

I'm still really crossing my fingers for Pepperdine, and hoping that I get off their WL and into the class. I know its considerably more money than Tech, however I do have a couple misc. scholarships to Pepperdine guaranteed if I do get in. Its not a ton, but definitely will help.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:14 am

Gatriel wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:

Yeah, this is the part the scares me about TTU. I'm a pretty good student, and have always done well, so I already know to be ready for 12-16 hours of school + study a day. I am preparing myself now, and grad school is a good warmup. I know that there are a few 3.9 172+ people going to TTU next year, and I can only assume they will finish top of the class. You must be top 20 to graduate Coif, which is what I'd be shooting for, so were probably down around to 16 or so at this point.

I'm still really crossing my fingers for Pepperdine, and hoping that I get off their WL and into the class. I know its considerably more money than Tech, however I do have a couple misc. scholarships to Pepperdine guaranteed if I do get in. Its not a ton, but definitely will help.

Good luck on Pepperdine! More expensive, but beach>>>>>tumbleweeds haha

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:15 am

Thanks man!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”