Will applying again next year be less competitive?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ilovelawapps

Will applying again next year be less competitive?

Postby ilovelawapps » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:39 am

Another retake question...advice needed please.

3.55 (hard science)
165, 168 both from 2007
Avg softs

Accepted: Fordham, WUSTL, Emory, BU
WL: UCLA, UT, USC, Vandy, Reserve at Cornell
Ding: all the reaches-NYU, Columbia, Chicago, Penn, UVA, Duke, Michigan (ED)

Do you think taking the June LSAT would be worth it? I was practicing at 172-176 before I got the 168, BUT by that time I had used up all my study material so I was retaking tests I had done several months before. I didn't remember any of the answers (or even recognize that many questions) but it might of had an effect. I was thinking if I scored in the 170s it would help me get off a few WL's at best, or I would reapply in the fall. I've got no significant work lined up though. Do you think next cycle will be as brutal as this one? Much easier? Worse?

FWIW I want to do entertainment/music industry stuff (hard enough as is to break into).

I deposited at BU, and have an extension on the Fordham deposit.

Any advice would be appreciated.

labyrinth

Re: Will applying again next year be less competitive?

Postby labyrinth » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:47 am

Did you apply right at the beginning of the cycle?

ilovelawapps

Postby ilovelawapps » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:54 am

Yea I applied pretty early, complete around October.

booboo

Postby booboo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:58 am

Unless you retake, or there was something that you know may have been off about your application, you won't stand a better chance reapplying if you already applied early this cycle. Especially since the GPA is at or below the 25 percentiles for all of those ding schools.

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:59 am

I wouldn't. Our numbers are remarkably similar (I also tested at 165, 168), I'm also a splitter, and I have a science background. My PTs were typically 172, but I figure even with that, I could get into lower T14 (maybe) at sticker. Half tuition at a T20-T25 with my current score is too hard to pass up.

How much is a year of your life worth? I'd hate to wait it out.

ilovelawapps

Postby ilovelawapps » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:05 am

booboo wrote:Unless you retake, or there was something that you know may have been off about your application, you won't stand a better chance reapplying if you already applied early this cycle. Especially since the GPA is at or below the 25 percentiles for all of those ding schools.

Yea youre right, I'd have to hit 172+ to offset that gpa. Bio major=worst idea ever for ls!

UFMatt wrote:I wouldn't. Our numbers are remarkably similar (I also tested at 165, 168), I'm also a splitter, and I have a science background. My PTs were typically 172, but I figure even with that, I could get into lower T14 (maybe) at sticker. Half tuition at a T20-T25 with my current score is too hard to pass up.

How much is a year of your life worth? I'd hate to wait it out.

I looked at your profile, we're basically identical (although no PhD for me). Going into the cycle I thought science majors would get a little boost but that definitely was not the case.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:44 pm

I wouldn't wait a year unless you retake and get a 170+. Next year should be even more competitive than this year, and there's nothing else you can do to improve your application.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”