Wisc vs. IU-B vs. Chi-Kent PT for Chicago IP

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go to thrive ITE?

Wisc
20%
IU-B
2%
Chi-Kent PT
37%
Cross your fingers and hope to get off UIUC waitlist
15%
Cross your fingers and hope to get off WUSTL waitlist
5%
None of the above, re-take the LSAT and go to T14
22%

Total votes: 41

ThriveITE

Wisc vs. IU-B vs. Chi-Kent PT for Chicago IP

Postby ThriveITE » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:54 am

I have admits at all the above programs, albeit with no scholarship money :-( I have a BSEE from a top program and work experience in the IP field. I am set on practicing in Chicago. To make things interesting I do currently have a good paying rewarding job, so just waiting a year or more is a legitimate option. I have to make a decision pretty quick, what are your thoughts?
Last edited by ThriveITE on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

ThriveITE

Re: Wisc vs. IU-B vs. Chi-Kent PT for Chicago IP

Postby ThriveITE » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:06 am

Any input on the UIUC vote? Does UIUC give a boost to ED?

raskolnikov32

Postby raskolnikov32 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:17 am

Last edited by raskolnikov32 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ThriveITE

Postby ThriveITE » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:29 am

I'm currently working in Chicago so PT at Kent does mean I'm working full time and doing law school part time. So that would make things a bit easier, but would I be kicking myself in 5 years for passing on IU-B or Wisc?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:44 am

Ignoring the bottom three options....

Kent by far.

1. You want to work in Chicago, IL, not in Wisconsin or Indiana
2. You don't have any scholarships
3. If you go to Kent, you can continue working

Unless I'm missing something...

No IUB does not offer better prospects in IL than Kent.
No, neither does Wisconsin (although that may be a close one). Wisconsin does extremely well in Wisconsin though.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:17 am

Retake, stay in your job a year then reapply. The legal market is still iffy. Waiting will bring better prospects.

At Northwestern ASW, I was told that EE's were getting 1L summer offers. But I also hear IP isn't doing well from people at lower ranked schools. Either one side is exaggerating, or patent firms are prestige whoring in a way they haven't done in the past.

If you went to a top EE program, you can do better on the lsat, than you have.

BTW is it UIUC? I'm EE class of 08.

ThriveITE

Postby ThriveITE » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am

But then you have to live in Wisconsin... j/k I love the state but I have ties to Chicago.

So that's a vote for Kent PT then, I am leaning that way as well. After poking around some websites of Chicago IP firms, it seems that there are almost 0 Wisc or IU-B alums working while every firm (even NLJ250) has a few Kent alums. So I guess the real question is between Kent and the "bottom 3 option" which I am truly considering. I have a decent income right now, spending $100k and a few years of my life to come out making $60k-80k isn't an option. Is that unreasonable? My current career path would likely get me well into the 6 figures in 5 years without LS. Thoughts?

Fox: +1 for UIUC EE! I'm an 06 grad. My problem is that my GPA was low in undergrad (see profile). For the re-take option I would have to be in the 175+ range to have a shot at NW, which I do believe is possible but I also run the risk of being in my exact same position in another 1-2 years. I could certainly see a 170+ if I re-take, but I would never make plans based on getting a 175+, too many ways that can go wrong judging from my PTs. Anyone know if NW gives an ED boost? I also might just give UIUC another shot next year even w/o a retake as I applied kinda late, any thoughts on UIUC ED?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:33 am

ThriveITE wrote:But then you have to live in Wisconsin... j/k I love the state but I have ties to Chicago.

So that's a vote for Kent PT then, I am leaning that way as well. After poking around some websites of Chicago IP firms, it seems that there are almost 0 Wisc or IU-B alums working while every firm (even NLJ250) has a few Kent alums. So I guess the real question is between Kent and the "bottom 3 option" which I am truly considering. I have a decent income right now, spending $100k and a few years of my life to come out making $60k-80k isn't an option. Is that unreasonable? My current career path would likely get me well into the 6 figures in 5 years without LS. Thoughts?

Fox: +1 for UIUC EE! I'm an 06 grad. My problem is that my GPA was low in undergrad (see profile). For the re-take option I would have to be in the 175+ range to have a shot at NW, which I do believe is possible but I also run the risk of being in my exact same position in another 1-2 years. I could certainly see a 170+ if I re-take, but I would never make plans based on getting a 175+, too many ways that can go wrong judging from my PTs. Anyone know if NW gives an ED boost? I also might just give UIUC another shot next year even w/o a retake as I applied kinda late, any thoughts on UIUC ED?

haha I've got a 2.8 as well and I'm headed to Northwestern next year because I ED'd. You don't need 175. In fact I think you might be fine with 171, but 172+ is better. Northwestern unquestionably gives an ED boost if you are over 170.

Here is your game plan. Sign up for June LSAT, try for 172+, then apply ED at NU. I think you'd have an excellent chance. If you don't get it, try in Sept.

If you don't get it on June and UIUC happens to offer you a spot, I'd probably go.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:12 pm

What are your numbers, how was your LSAT experience, and why do you think you can do better?

Because anytime I hear job+wait a year+retake+Chicago, the "Northwestern" light starts flashing in my head.

Ah, I've read your profile now, and I think you're on the cusp of NW, a 170 would probably get you there. Plus that extra year of work endears you to them further and puts those UG grades (which considering how brutal Illinois engineering is aren't that bad anyway) further in the rearview mirror. Go for it.

ThriveITE

Postby ThriveITE » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:32 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, I think waiting another year (or two) and re-taking the LSAT is a solid option. I think I can do better because my PT average was ~172 leading into test day, I think a few more months of drilling I could pack on a few more points and make a run at NW or at least UIUC. Is a 170 a solid score for a NW splitter? I'd assumed it was going to be a bit higher.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:37 pm

ThriveITE wrote:Thanks for the encouragement, I think waiting another year (or two) and re-taking the LSAT is a solid option. I think I can do better because my PT average was ~172 leading into test day, I think a few more months of drilling I could pack on a few more points and make a run at NW or at least UIUC. Is a 170 a solid score for a NW splitter? I'd assumed it was going to be a bit higher.

No its a pretty iffy LSAT for NU, but you'd have a shot.

ThriveITE

Postby ThriveITE » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:56 pm

Thats what I thought too

BobDole34

Postby BobDole34 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:53 pm

Pretty easy here. If willing to re-take: do it, apply to t14.

If not: Kent because you can keep working.

In a vacuum, Wisconsin is the best of the schools, but we don't live in a plastic bag. We live in the real wold. Debt is the killer. I suspect you'd get $ @ Kent and while working, you can make ends meet.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:06 pm

I don't think I've seen this many voting options in a while, haha.

administrator

Postby administrator » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:16 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Ignoring the bottom three options....

Kent by far.

1. You want to work in Chicago, IL, not in Wisconsin or Indiana
2. You don't have any scholarships
3. If you go to Kent, you can continue working

Unless I'm missing something...

No IUB does not offer better prospects in IL than Kent.
No, neither does Wisconsin (although that may be a close one). Wisconsin does extremely well in Wisconsin though.

...and

4. You want to practice IP.

Definitely Kent.

jelly

Postby jelly » Sun May 02, 2010 11:06 am

BobDole34 wrote:Pretty easy here. If willing to re-take: do it, apply to t14.

If not: Kent because you can keep working.

In a vacuum, Wisconsin is the best of the schools, but we don't live in a plastic bag. We live in the real wold. Debt is the killer. I suspect you'd get $ @ Kent and while working, you can make ends meet.

Actually, Wisconsin and IU-B are about the same. Also, unless you're going for top-14, there are more reasons to choose Kent besides the fact that you can keep working.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”