Chicago vs UVA $$ vs NU $$ vs UCLA ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School

Poll ended at Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:26 pm

Chicago (Sticker)
8%
NU (90k)
13%
UVA (60k plus in-state)
53%
UCLA (FREE)
26%

Total votes: 53

PopCopyManager

Chicago vs UVA $$ vs NU $$ vs UCLA ($$$)

Postby PopCopyManager » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:26 pm

Chicago at sticker vs 60k @ UVA (in state) vs 90k @ NU vs UCLA for free (Plus COL at all schools.)

Am interested in big law but not necessarily biglaw or bust (however making 100k+ within a few years of graduation is important.) I have no interest in working in Chicago or NYC, and would prefer SoCal, Florida, Texas, anything else in the coastal south, and DC in that order. I just visited Chicago and did not really like the weather nor the atmosphere at either of the Chicago schools, although I can definitely deal with it for 3 years. I live close to UVA so that would be nice in terms of staying near my family, and I DO like the atmosphere at UVA. I also REALLY like UCLA, the beach, etc, and would not mind working in Southern California if the job market at least stabilizes.

Am also waiting on the never-ending Harvard waitlist.

Thoughts?

CCN

Re: Chicago vs UVA $$ vs NU $$ vs UCLA ($$$)

Postby CCN » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:28 pm

UVA. UCLA may not bring you back to your family for awhile. GL w/ your decision.

echoi

Postby echoi » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:22 am

this is easy, UVA

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:29 am

Either UVA or UCLA.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:55 am

Scratching NU off should be pretty easy. After factoring in the extra 5k you get as a VA resident and COL, the cost between there and UVA isn't significant enough to offset not wanting to be in Chicago and the fact that UVA has substantially more firms from where you want to work represented at OCI. Crossing Chicago off should be easy too. One of their main advantages over UVA is their elite v10 NYC placement, which you don't seem interested in. Taking that into account, paying an extra 80k or so to go there wouldn't seem to make sense.

So this boils down to UCLA vs. UVA. Personally I'd go with UVA since I would be hesitant to put all of my eggs in the California economy's bucket. CA is awesome, but there are currently some pretty deep seeded issues with the way that state operates. Either option is nice though.

Steven Perry

Postby Steven Perry » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:58 am

While I myself have been really liking UCLA as of late, go with UVA. You'll have an easier time going West with a UVA degree than going East with a UCLA degree. If you're still into SoCal after graduation, see how California is faring economically and make a decision.

PopCopyManager

Postby PopCopyManager » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:17 am

I appreciate all of the input. If I don't want NYC, should I silence the voices in my head that are telling me to go to UChicago because the "degree is more portable?"

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:22 pm

I also agree with UVA.

UCLA would be my last choice of the bunch. When you say UCLA for free, are you assuming you will get your grants renewed? Is this merit based? My friend got need based aid at a UC, for 10k a year, but he did not get his grants renewed second year. He ended up getting only 10k worth of grants, instead of what he thought he would get (30k). He had given up pretty size-able scholarships thinking that he would get the need based aid the second and third years, but didn't. The UCs cannot afford to reinstate grant money right now. They tell you that they will "reconsider" your financial aid every year, but in reality that means a lot of people get screwed.

hubtubrub

Postby hubtubrub » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:24 pm

NU
duh.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:26 pm

hubtubrub wrote:NU
duh.

If he really doesn't want Chicago or NYC. Then NU probably isn't the best choice.

PopCopyManager

Postby PopCopyManager » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:38 pm

fortissimo wrote:I also agree with UVA.

UCLA would be my last choice of the bunch. When you say UCLA for free, are you assuming you will get your grants renewed? Is this merit based? My friend got need based aid at a UC, for 10k a year, but he did not get his grants renewed second year. He ended up getting only 10k worth of grants, instead of what he thought he would get (30k). He had given up pretty size-able scholarships thinking that he would get the need based aid the second and third years, but didn't. The UCs cannot afford to reinstate grant money right now. They tell you that they will "reconsider" your financial aid every year, but in reality that means a lot of people get screwed.

UCLA would be a merit based scholarship, automatically renewable... if that makes any difference in your reasoning. Thanks for your input!

PopCopyManager

Postby PopCopyManager » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:40 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:Scratching NU off should be pretty easy. After factoring in the extra 5k you get as a VA resident and COL, the cost between there and UVA isn't significant enough to offset not wanting to be in Chicago and the fact that UVA has substantially more firms from where you want to work represented at OCI. Crossing Chicago off should be easy too. One of their main advantages over UVA is their elite v10 NYC placement, which you don't seem interested in. Taking that into account, paying an extra 80k or so to go there wouldn't seem to make sense.

So this boils down to UCLA vs. UVA. Personally I'd go with UVA since I would be hesitant to put all of my eggs in the California economy's bucket. CA is awesome, but there are currently some pretty deep seeded issues with the way that state operates. Either option is nice though.

Yo String! love the wire. Anyway, thanks for the response, I didn't realize that the V10 NYC placement was a major consideration in their rankings.

Those of you saying NU, can you elaborate as to why you would choose this over UVA when UVA would be (slightly) less expensive? (COL)

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:53 pm

PopCopyManager wrote:Yo String! love the wire. Anyway, thanks for the response, I didn't realize that the V10 NYC placement was a major consideration in their rankings.

Well, their v10 placement doesn't really have any bearing on their ranking. But if we're comparing post graduation opportunities (the main statistic that matters to most of us), that's the main place Chicago is going to crush UVA. I believe you'll also have a better chance at landing a prestigous clerkship from there as well. Who really knows what will happen year over year, but right now it seems to look like the odds of getting a market paying biglaw job from Chicago probably aren't going to be substantially better than landing a market paying job from UVA.

Always happy to give my opinion to a fellow Wire fan.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”