Where did you draw the line for sticker?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
D Brooks

Re: Where did you draw the line for sticker?

Postby D Brooks » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:11 pm

T10... :?

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:12 pm

Bronte wrote:At every school in the country, roughly a third of the class is paying sticker. That's where they drew the line.

I don't completely remember, but I think at ASW they said something like 45% of the students at UVA would be paying sticker.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
underachiever wrote:Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia

The only 4 schools where your as close to guaranteed as possible to get a 6-figure starting salary, to recoup the 200k in loans for school and the lost profitability of the 3 years during LS, quickly enough to make it worthwhile.

Why not Chicago or NYU?

I should have added Chicago (even if there staple market, Chicago, was a blood bath of epic proportions in 2009)....an argument could be made for NYU not in terms of job placement+court placement, where i think Columbia and Chicago out pace them but because NYU has an awesome LARP you could relay on and it places better then the PBMV or DNCG

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:20 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
Bronte wrote:
miamiman wrote:I agree with ^^^^. My first choice was S. Rejected.

I'm paying sticker at chicago. It wasn't even on my radar until I got a fw. I made a choice almost entirely because of rational reasons

LOL. And he's admitting his cutoff is just whatever school he's paying sticker at. Kids that got into HYS say "HYS." Kids that got in to HYSCC say "HYSCC."

Let me buck the trend. I wouldn't pay sticker for Illinois if you waterboarded me to get me to do it.

In state tuition, UIUC is a deal. The only way your comment makes sense is if you are a bit arrogant AND you got a full ride to a higher-ranked law school.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:22 pm

underachiever wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia

The only 4 schools where your as close to guaranteed as possible to get a 6-figure starting salary, to recoup the 200k in loans for school and the lost profitability of the 3 years during LS, quickly enough to make it worthwhile.

Why not Chicago or NYU?

I should have added Chicago (even if there staple market, Chicago, was a blood bath of epic proportions in 2009)....an argument could be made for NYU not in terms of job placement+court placement, where i think Columbia and Chicago out pace them but because NYU has an awesome LARP you could relay on and it places better then the PBMV or DNCG

LOL.

MVPB is a bit more credited. HTH.

CCN

Postby CCN » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:26 pm

Definitely not NYU what with the cost of living added.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:27 pm

underachiever wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia

Why not Chicago or NYU?

Your condition that to make paying sticker "worthwhile" one must attend a school that provides "as close to guaranteed as possible to get a 6-figure starting salary," seems arbitrary. Plenty of lawyers pay sticker, get a job, take their time paying back their loans (without much stress), and enjoy their work in the meantime. Is that so hard to believe?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:28 pm

GordonBombay wrote:Schools like UWash, W&M, UNC in the 28-30 range are in the high teens low 20's

Higher up you have Texas and UCLA in state

Is everyone just ignoring this, or considering every school at the highest possible price?

For the purposes of this discussion, I suppose we are assuming in-state =/= sticker.

Incidentally, have fun at UCLA, even paying full in-state with CA tuition hikes.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:28 pm

CCN wrote:Definitely not NYU what with the cost of living added.

Dude, your username is CCN.

CCN

Postby CCN » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:29 pm

Bronte wrote:

Yea, i'm not very creative. :(

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:30 pm

thinkbig wrote:
underachiever wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia

Why not Chicago or NYU?

Your condition that to make paying sticker "worthwhile" one must attend a school that provides "as close to guaranteed as possible to get a 6-figure starting salary," seems arbitrary. Plenty of lawyers pay sticker, get a job, take their time paying back their loans (without much stress), and enjoy their work in the meantime. Is that so hard to believe?

"Plenty of lawyers" is not good enough. "My uncle/cousin/parent/sibling" is not good enough. "I personally know dozens of lawyers" is not good enough.

I won't believe it until I am that lawyer (which I guess is never, since I am not paying sticker).

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:31 pm

Bronte wrote:

:lol:

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:32 pm

Bronte wrote:

LOL!
I would agree with CCN though about NYU. But if you are counting instate tuition, add Berkeley, Michigan, Texas, UVA, probably a few more, that would still be worth paying sticker.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:33 pm

Unemployed wrote:"Plenty of lawyers" is not good enough. "My uncle/cousin/parent/sibling" is not good enough. "I personally know dozens of lawyers" is not good enough.

I won't believe it until I am that lawyer (which I guess is never, since I am not paying sticker).

CCN's hatin on N. Now Unemployed is hating on unemployment? This thread has gone to hell in a handbasket.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:33 pm

thinkbig wrote:Your condition that to make paying sticker "worthwhile" one must attend a school that provides "as close to guaranteed as possible to get a 6-figure starting salary," seems arbitrary. Plenty of lawyers pay sticker, get a job, take their time paying back their loans (without much stress), and enjoy their work in the meantime. Is that so hard to believe?

I think many of the lawyers you refer to went to school at a time when job prospects were better and law school was cheaper. The economy is much worse today.

Furthermore, law has a bi-modal salary distribution of law jobs clustering highly at $140k-$160k plus , then a drop off to $30k-$50k, with not a ton in between. The best schools funnel more kids into biglaw jobs that pay market. Outside those schools, at sticker, you have a decent shot at making $40k-$60k with $200k debt at sticker. This does not sound like a great idea in the least.

CCN

Postby CCN » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:35 pm

Bronte wrote:
Unemployed wrote:"Plenty of lawyers" is not good enough. "My uncle/cousin/parent/sibling" is not good enough. "I personally know dozens of lawyers" is not good enough.

CCN's hatin on N. Now Unemployed is hating on unemployment? This thread has gone to hell in a handbasket.

apparently prospective law students aren't as prudent as dental students:

[url]http://toptennation.blogspot.com/2008/02/top-10-easiest-us-dental-schools-to-get.html
[/url]

Top 10 Easiest Dental Schools to Gain Admission Into Based on Incoming Class Statistics and Other Factors as of 2008

1. New York University College of Dentistry (NYU Dental)
Generally regarded as one of the priciest dental schools in the country, the admissions average remains low as applicants tip the scales as they choose affordable dental schools over this one. In fact, this dental school is ranked as the 2nd most expensive. If you're in a rut in terms of GPA and/or DAT scores, NYU should potentially appear on your application list. Although this school is easy to get into, we are aware that NYU's quality is still superior. The New York City environment adds to the cost of living, however, for the 'money is no object' type of applicant, this remains a prime choice.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:38 pm

Bronte wrote:

:?:

I was commenting on the evidentiary value of citing "plenty of lawyers" in support of a general claim. That is to say, none.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:38 pm

rad law wrote:
thinkbig wrote:Your condition that to make paying sticker "worthwhile" one must attend a school that provides "as close to guaranteed as possible to get a 6-figure starting salary," seems arbitrary. Plenty of lawyers pay sticker, get a job, take their time paying back their loans (without much stress), and enjoy their work in the meantime. Is that so hard to believe?

I think many of the lawyers you refer to went to school at a time when job prospects were better and law school was cheaper. The economy is much worse today.

Furthermore, law has a bi-modal salary distribution of law jobs clustering highly at $140k-$160k plus , then a drop off to $30k-$50k, with not a ton in between. The best schools funnel more kids into biglaw jobs that pay market. Outside those schools, at sticker, you have a decent shot at making $40k-$60k with $200k debt at sticker. This does not sound like a great idea in the least.

This certainly makes sense.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:39 pm

Unemployed wrote:
Bronte wrote:

I was commenting on the evidentiary value of citing "plenty of lawyers" in support of a general claim. That is to say, none.

U got burned dawg. Don't take it hard - I hate on big thinkers.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:41 pm

thinkbig wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
Bronte wrote:

U got burned dawg. Don't take it hard - I hate on big thinkers.

I must be the stupid one here, because I still don't get it. Fishsticks? Please enlighten me.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:44 pm

Unemployed wrote:
Bronte wrote:

U got burned dawg. Don't take it hard - I hate on big thinkers.[/quote]

I must be the stupid one here, because I still don't get it. Fishsticks? Please enlighten me.[/quote]

No, you were right in criticizing my argument for its lack of evidence. "Plenty of" meant nothing. The whole argument was wishful thinking. "Is that so hard to believe?" I guess the answer is Yes.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:48 pm

Harvard
Stanford
Columbia

This doesn't make much sense considering Northwestern has better NLJ250 placement than any of those four. I understand that there are academia/clerkship options at those four, but your rationale was strictly salary-based.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:56 pm

thinkbig wrote:No, you were right in criticizing my argument for its lack of evidence. "Plenty of" meant nothing. The whole argument was wishful thinking. "Is that so hard to believe?" I guess the answer is Yes.

Notwithstanding, times are different now. See my above post.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:00 am

I'd pay sticker for the T12, and probably Cornell/GULC as well if those were my best options.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:01 am

thinkbig wrote:No, you were right in criticizing my argument for its lack of evidence. "Plenty of" meant nothing. The whole argument was wishful thinking. "Is that so hard to believe?" I guess the answer is Yes.

I was puzzled by Bronte's suggestion that I'm hating on unemployment apropos of my previous comment.

Have you ever gone from selling mortgage-backed securities to unemployment right before law school starts? With a nice little severance package? It's awesome!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”