Where did you draw the line for sticker?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
timshel

Re: Where did you draw the line for sticker?

Postby timshel » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:12 pm

t18

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:13 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:The bolded is true. You are the one who will have to sleep at night with the loans, and it's a lot harder to do so if you are attending a school you feel lukewarm about. If you can sleep through the night at the school you've selected (usually chosen for a combination of so called emotional and rational factors), you've chosen well. The first choice rule is my own rule of thumb, because personal happiness adds enough value for me to justify my debt.

Yeah, the I'm not arguing with the concept that you should make decision that you believe will make you happy. I'm arguing with the concept that you can only be happy with sticker if the school was your first choice. Most people do not get into their first choice. This is consistent with sound application strategy (i.e., applying to reach schools). Further, most people's first choice is one of HYS... they just have no chance. This doesn't mean they can't be happy with their decision. Ultimately, the decision is an economic one.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:14 pm

underachiever wrote:Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia

The only 4 schools where your as close to guaranteed as possible to get a 6-figure starting salary, to recoup the 200k in loans for school and the lost profitability of the 3 years during LS, quickly enough to make it worthwhile.

Add Chicago.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:16 pm

I agree with ^^^^. My first choice was S. Rejected.

I'm paying sticker at chicago. It wasn't even on my radar until I got a fw. I made a choice almost entirely because of rational reasons

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:17 pm

I'm paying sticker at UVA. T17 minus UCLA, Cornell and possibly GULC would have been my limit.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:18 pm

Whose first choice isn't the place that gives them the best deal btw? Doesn't that endear a school to you more than anything? Or am I just that much of a penny-pincher?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:20 pm

miamiman wrote:I agree with ^^^^. My first choice was S. Rejected.

I'm paying sticker at chicago. It wasn't even on my radar until I got a fw. I made a choice almost entirely because of rational reasons

LOL. And he's admitting his cutoff is just whatever school he's paying sticker at. Kids that got into HYS say "HYS." Kids that got in to HYSCC say "HYSCC."

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:22 pm

T6, and I have stuck with it throughout the application process.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:23 pm

Bronte wrote:

LOL. And he's admitting his cutoff is just whatever school he's paying sticker at. Kids that got into HYS say "HYS." Kids that got in to HYSCC say "HYSCC."

I had a scholly at t10. I chose t6. I don't see how this creates a dilemma.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:24 pm

Bronte wrote:

Let me buck the trend. I wouldn't pay sticker for Illinois if you waterboarded me to get me to do it.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:26 pm

I think there's some sort of differentiation or caveat to be made for public schools which charge a low in-state tuition. Where that cut-off would be I have no idea, but that's a factor no one's mentioned.

(But obviously as someone who will likely will pay in-state sticker at a T30 school of course I'd say this.)

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:27 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:27 pm

I think the top 12 schools are all worth sticker. Of course as you get down into the MVP, DN levels, a little $$ makes a big difference. But at all of those schools, if you look at the Biglaw + clerkship numbers, the chances of landing a well-paying job are strong. The debt is huge, but you have to consider what school you go to will determine a 30- or 40-year arc of your career and your earning potential.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:28 pm

miamiman wrote:
Bronte wrote:

I had a scholly at t10. I chose t6. I don't see how this creates a dilemma.

Well, yeah, I got into a t10 and had scholly's at t17s. I chose the t10 at sticker. Should I post "t10." No. It's asinine. People just post / support a cutoff that confirms their decision.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:31 pm

Um, ok bro. Sorry to have offended you.

Good luck being a douchebag at your t10 (at sticker)

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:39 pm

Simple...everywhere. You guys can have fun with the $150K+ debt. :lol: Seriously, though, it really comes down to your own career and professional aspirations.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:41 pm

Bronte wrote:
miamiman wrote:I had a scholly at t10. I chose t6. I don't see how this creates a dilemma.

Well, yeah, I got into a t10 and had scholly's at t17s. I chose the t10 at sticker. Should I post "t10." No. It's asinine. People just post / support a cutoff that confirms their decision.

:roll: Isn't that pretty much the point of the thread??

For me it's gotta be t17 ... turned down two t20s without money but will probably do everything in my power to get into Vandy (= sticker off the WL).

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:44 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:47 pm

Bronte wrote:Kids that got into HYS say "HYS." Kids that got in to HYSCC say "HYSCC."

Not quite. I would still only pay HYSCCN at sticker and I got into none of them. I'm going to a 15-17 with money. Without the money, I'd be at a Southern T-25, UF, or UGA with money, since that's where I want to end up. For the purposes of this discussion I think we can all agree in-state tuition =/= sticker.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:47 pm

Bronte wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:The bolded is true. You are the one who will have to sleep at night with the loans, and it's a lot harder to do so if you are attending a school you feel lukewarm about. If you can sleep through the night at the school you've selected (usually chosen for a combination of so called emotional and rational factors), you've chosen well. The first choice rule is my own rule of thumb, because personal happiness adds enough value for me to justify my debt.

Yeah, the I'm not arguing with the concept that you should make decision that you believe will make you happy. I'm arguing with the concept that you can only be happy with sticker if the school was your first choice. Most people do not get into their first choice. This is consistent with sound application strategy (i.e., applying to reach schools). Further, most people's first choice is one of HYS... they just have no chance. This doesn't mean they can't be happy with their decision. Ultimately, the decision is an economic one.

The rule is mine. There are higher ranked and better placing schools than Fordham for which I would not have paid sticker (or even attended at all). The decision had better be based on sound economics, but economic considerations are not the only ones to be made. Moreover, first choice is subjective. I don't think it makes sense to fall in love with a school you have no chance of attending. First choice for me was a reasonable reach. I set myself an achievable goal, and I have no regrets about paying sticker here.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:52 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I actually have a rule about it: sticker is for first choice schools only, however you define that. No one should be paying sticker to be somewhere that isn't their school of choice.

You're just pushing the same question back into the issue of how one defines "first choice schools." Unless, that is, you're saying Yale (or Harvard for those that would choose Harvard over Yale ceteris paribus) is the only school worth sticker.

First choice is entirely subjective, but for most people it makes sense to choose a reach at which they have some chance of being accepted, provided that school has placement statistics they are comfortable with. The wide variety of answers in this thread attests to the facts that people find different risk thresholds acceptable, and they have differing career goals.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:03 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

KG_CalGuy

Postby KG_CalGuy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:03 pm

My big decision this whole time has been CLS vs. NYU vs. UCLA ($$$) until CLS gave me a small amount of $. NYU gave me nothing. Hence, no NYU.

I'll run to Stanford at sticker if they call me off the WL.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:06 pm

At every school in the country, roughly a third of the class is paying sticker. That's where they drew the line.

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:11 pm

webbylu87 wrote:I think there's some sort of differentiation or caveat to be made for public schools which charge a low in-state tuition. Where that cut-off would be I have no idea, but that's a factor no one's mentioned.

(But obviously as someone who will likely will pay in-state sticker at a T30 school of course I'd say this.)

Schools like UWash, W&M, UNC in the 28-30 range are in the high teens low 20's

Higher up you have Texas and UCLA in state

Is everyone just ignoring this, or considering every school at the highest possible price?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”