William and Mary or WUSL?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JDforME

William and Mary or WUSL?

Postby JDforME » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:22 pm

Hey, I'm trying to decide between William and Mary and Washington St. Louis for next fall. My first choice would be to work in DC after I graduate, but if that doesn't work out, maybe VA or Atlanta. I realize WUSL is ranked higher and might have a better national reputation, but W&M is closer to DC. Which is more important, and which would help me get a better job there? I'm kind of panicking b/c I have to decide this week (also: I visited WUSL and loved it).

84Sunbird2000

Re: William and Mary or WUSL?

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:01 pm

If your first two choices are DC and VA, in that order, then W&M is probably the right answer. I think cost would have to factor into this as well, but while WUSTL is fairly national (or supra-regional), I can't see any evidence that WUSTL places as well into DC as W&M. In VA, it's W&M hands-down.

Plus, regarding W&M's employment prospects, I'd like to shamelessly self-plug my analysis of their 2009 numbers: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=92657&start=2225 (Scroll down a ways and you'll se it).

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:03 pm

If your top 3 choices are DC, VA, or Atlanta, then William and Mary, and it's not even close.

JDforME wrote:Hey, I'm trying to decide between William and Mary and Washington St. Louis for next fall. My first choice would be to work in DC after I graduate, but if that doesn't work out, maybe VA or Atlanta. I realize WUSL is ranked higher and might have a better national reputation, but W&M is closer to DC. Which is more important, and which would help me get a better job there? I'm kind of panicking b/c I have to decide this week (also: I visited WUSL and loved it).

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:28 pm

Plus W&M is super cheap. No-brainer.

The fact that WUSTL's ranking doesn't start with a 2 really seems to trick people.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:35 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:47 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:For your target markets:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:W&M hands-down.

+1

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:54 pm

If you finish in the top 30% or so of your class, WUSTL might be as good as W&M for DC, but if you finish around median or slightly below, it's W&M by a landslide. W&M is definitely the safe choice, and the extra benefit you gain by going to a slightly higher-ranked school is outweighed by the regional aspects of their employment prospects. Some very decent DC firms OCI at WUSTL, but my guess is that far more OCI at W&M.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”