Avoid UMich

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Unemployed

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby Unemployed » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:34 am

clintonius wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:ok, ok...to be honest...I'm curious about this part:

refuse to make even minimal effort or accommodation for students.

I'm kind of curious what you wanted them to do for you. I've personally found career services to be great, but then again I haven't asked them to do anything strange.

They don't even do anal. What the fuck?

Apparently they do, but you are on the undesirable end.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:35 am

julesm2200 wrote:
anthonyc350 wrote:Ann Arbor is a whore

if ann arbor is a whore, then why couldn't you get in?

not enough zing

violinst

Postby violinst » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:36 am

Unemployed wrote:
clintonius wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:ok, ok...to be honest...I'm curious about this part:

refuse to make even minimal effort or accommodation for students.

I'm kind of curious what you wanted them to do for you. I've personally found career services to be great, but then again I haven't asked them to do anything strange.

They don't even do anal. What the fuck?

Apparently they do, but you are on the undesirable end.

Which end?

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:38 am

violinst wrote:Which end?

Depends. Precisely why I used the word "undesirable."

violinst

Postby violinst » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:40 am

Unemployed wrote:
violinst wrote:Which end?

Depends. Precisely why I used the word "undesirable."

Ah!

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:41 am

Wait, there are people who don't like it both ways?

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:49 am

Waiting for Oblomov to post.

junelsat

Postby junelsat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:55 am

This thread is completely pointless, and the fact that the OP piqued so many people's interest with a bold claim unsubstantiated by detail is ridiculous. One person's poor experience with the career counseling office is negligible when you consider the indisputable tremendous career success individuals coming from Michigan have. Stop waiting for this fool to elaborate.

coulduhelpplz

Postby coulduhelpplz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:57 am

junelsat wrote:This thread is completely pointless, and the fact that the OP piqued so many people's interest with a bold claim unsubstantiated by detail is ridiculous. One person's poor experience with the career counseling office is negligible when you consider the indisputable tremendous career success individuals coming from Michigan have. Stop waiting for this fool to elaborate.

Except Oblomov is anything but a fool. Hence the curiosity and the suspense.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:57 am

junelsat wrote:This thread is completely pointless, and the fact that the OP piqued so many people's interest with a bold claim unsubstantiated by detail is ridiculous. One person's poor experience with the career counseling office is negligible when you consider the indisputable tremendous career success individuals coming from Michigan have. Stop waiting for this fool to elaborate.

Somebody has yet to discover the true purpose of TLS...

deleted

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:06 am

Ragged wrote:Waiting for Oblomov to post.

mazzini

Postby mazzini » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:17 am

What a let down... sifted through all four pages of this ridiculous thread. OP, you suck.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:39 am

Ok, I understand you all want closure, but if OP really did just drop out of law school (a top law school at that), then posting on TLS is probably the least of his concerns. Give him some time.
Last edited by phoenix323 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:54 am

OP suffers from PMS. Or, that's the way it seems.

Justice

Postby Justice » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:01 am

Last edited by Justice on Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:11 am

Justice wrote:To be fair, I think our OCS gave out some really incompetent advice this year. But I don't know why anyone would've followed it.
Help a brother steer clear of making this mistake? What advice was given? Why was it bad?

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:14 am

Echoing others' points. I have talked with Career Offices at 10 of the top14 schools and they all seem pretty out of it/aloof. They have NEVER had to hustle to sell their grads, b/c when the economy was good 80% would get picked up and they could just "juke the stats" on the last 20% and look great in the rankings. Now things are very different and a scramble would be on if applications weren't up 100%ish (i.e. people, the market here, don't care. in fact they keep coming in droves)

On the other-hand, the two business school people i meet with (UVA and Wharton) Their Career Offices hustled like hell to sell every grad and always have, even in good times and still do it now b/c their numbers have to be far more accurate then law school reporting stats

To sum it up, if you read TLS, Above the Law, speak to a few firm partners and generally do research yourself, you know more then a T14 career services staffer....sad but true

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:19 am

Desert Fox wrote:Gtown is the best Non T13 in America.

And second only to Cornell out of the Non T12 schools.

tangential886

Postby tangential886 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:20 am

holydonkey wrote:
Justice wrote:To be fair, I think our OCS gave out some really incompetent advice this year. But I don't know why anyone would've followed it.
Help a brother (or sister) steer clear of making this mistake? What advice was given? Why was it bad?

+1.

I thought I'd finally decided between Michigan and another school, but this definitely gives me pause. Does any of this apply to the Office of Public Service? (I don't know how separate they are...)

Justice

Postby Justice » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:24 am

Last edited by Justice on Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:28 am

tangential886 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
Help a brother (or sister) steer clear of making this mistake? What advice was given? Why was it bad?

+1.

I thought I'd finally decided between Michigan and another school, but this definitely gives me pause. Does any of this apply to the Office of Public Service? (I don't know how separate they are...)

Don't let this give you too much pause. In spite of OP's post, there are many, many, many Michigan students who have read this thread and refrained from posting (hey, it's OP's rant - he can say whatever he wants) who have had pretty damn good experiences with Career Services.

From going to several of their talks and speaking with members within CS myself, the thing that CS stresses more than anything else is - this is an unprecedented time. You CANNOT be content just to hang out and wait for OCI. Send out letters on August 15th to every firm you want that isn't coming to campus. Be persistent. Talk to alums in the cities and fields you are interested in. Make those connections, they won't be made for you. If need be and you don't have the grades you wanted, consider secondary markets. Etc.

I found all of this to be pretty decent advice. CS has not painted a beautiful picture of some easy employment scheme - that isn't available anywhere, possibly not even at HLS (as we've seen). But CS has said that jobs are available if you go out and sell yourself. The hiring model of 2006 and 2007 is over. When firms cut 40-60% of their SA classes, you have to work harder. Just be glad you're at a well-respected school.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:30 am

holydonkey wrote:
Help a brother steer clear of making this mistake? What advice was given? Why was it bad?

My guess: Don't rely solely on the school's name and/or career services to find a job for you. Which was likely a completely shocking and novel idea to 95% of the class.

ihurtmyselftoday

Postby ihurtmyselftoday » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:35 am

Ragged wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Ragged wrote:Blantant anti GULC trolling in the OP.

tbf, "my school is awful, but at least not as awful as GULC" is a pretty common sentiment among students in the T12.

I love TLS for statements like that. Sure thats a well respected university that so many would be thrilled to attend but from where I'm sitting its a piece of shit.

Lolz @ statement after seeing your LSN profile.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:40 am

--ImageRemoved--

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:40 am

Matthies wrote:
holydonkey wrote:

My guess: Don't rely solely on the school's name and/or career services to find a job for you. Which was likely a completely shocking and novel idea to 95% of the class.

Can't speak for Oblomov's situation, but this is the best advice anyone can get. Think of OCS as a super-skilled secretary who can edit your resumes, help you with cover letters, and schedule some appointments for you. But getting a job is on you, and you better hustle.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”