Avoid UMich

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby JOThompson » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:35 pm

junelsat wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
lawstudent85 wrote:The first person to post is giving some foolish advice. I, for one, can say that I have had a firm job, even during my 1L summer and in arguably the third biggest market in the US. I only landed the job thanks to OCS' help. OCS will meet with you upon request, even to go over your resume. All my friends have firm jobs that wanted them, and that has do with the fact that Michigan students are some of the most highly recruited and OCS makes sure you are prepared for interviews and how to pick the right firms to bid on. OCS is helpful, and as others have said, OCS cannot do everything for you.

Also, the poster seems like a total poser. I know the student body well, especially through links to school senate, and nobody has dropped out of this law school.

Michigan will do right by you.

The poster, while cynical and sarcastic (traits I find endearing), is generally regarded in fairly high esteem around these parts. Hence, the level of our concern.


The poster is a nameless faceless individual typing in anonymity on the internet. How much credibility can he really have?

The sort of credibility that's established after 3900+ compelling/helpful/reasonable posts?

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:36 pm

junelsat wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
lawstudent85 wrote:The first person to post is giving some foolish advice. I, for one, can say that I have had a firm job, even during my 1L summer and in arguably the third biggest market in the US. I only landed the job thanks to OCS' help. OCS will meet with you upon request, even to go over your resume. All my friends have firm jobs that wanted them, and that has do with the fact that Michigan students are some of the most highly recruited and OCS makes sure you are prepared for interviews and how to pick the right firms to bid on. OCS is helpful, and as others have said, OCS cannot do everything for you.

Also, the poster seems like a total poser. I know the student body well, especially through links to school senate, and nobody has dropped out of this law school.

Michigan will do right by you.

The poster, while cynical and sarcastic (traits I find endearing), is generally regarded in fairly high esteem around these parts. Hence, the level of our concern.


The poster is a nameless faceless individual typing in anonymity on the internet. How much credibility can he really have?


:roll: Ummm.... Eleventy billion credibility????

User avatar
anthonyc350
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby anthonyc350 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:39 pm

wow, be honest, career services is awesome but you can't win a football game, even against d1-aa teams.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby bigben » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:42 pm

A'nold wrote:It is so sad when someone drops out of a t14 school.


Idiot.

User avatar
anthonyc350
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby anthonyc350 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:42 pm

bigben wrote:
A'nold wrote:It is so sad when someone drops out of a t14 school.


Idiot.


RAPE

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:44 pm

anthonyc350 wrote:
bigben wrote:
A'nold wrote:It is so sad when someone drops out of a t14 school.


Idiot.


RAPE

Forgery!



(+ Eleventy-billion to anyone who gets the reference. I'm spending too much time with Dressler :cry: . Back to work...)

User avatar
soundgardener
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:17 am

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby soundgardener » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:16 pm

This thread is like Waiting for Godot.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby clintonius » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:16 pm

lawstudent85 wrote:The first person to post is giving some foolish advice. I, for one, can say that I have had a firm job, even during my 1L summer and in arguably the third biggest market in the US. I only landed the job thanks to OCS' help. OCS will meet with you upon request, even to go over your resume. All my friends have firm jobs that wanted them, and that has do with the fact that Michigan students are some of the most highly recruited and OCS makes sure you are prepared for interviews and how to pick the right firms to bid on. OCS is helpful, and as others have said, OCS cannot do everything for you.

Also, the poster seems like a total poser. I know the student body well, especially through links to school senate, and nobody has dropped out of this law school.

Michigan will do right by you.

= OCS employee

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:25 pm

soundgardener wrote:This thread is like Waiting for Godot.


+1. Nice reference.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:30 pm

If OP is legit, then don't be surprised if he doesn't come around for a day or two. If I had just dropped out of a T9 school, the last thing I'd want to do is hang out on TLS to talk about it some more. I'd be at Ashley's with my head under the Old Rasputin tap.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby Matthies » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:35 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
junelsat wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
lawstudent85 wrote:The first person to post is giving some foolish advice. I, for one, can say that I have had a firm job, even during my 1L summer and in arguably the third biggest market in the US. I only landed the job thanks to OCS' help. OCS will meet with you upon request, even to go over your resume. All my friends have firm jobs that wanted them, and that has do with the fact that Michigan students are some of the most highly recruited and OCS makes sure you are prepared for interviews and how to pick the right firms to bid on. OCS is helpful, and as others have said, OCS cannot do everything for you.

Also, the poster seems like a total poser. I know the student body well, especially through links to school senate, and nobody has dropped out of this law school.

Michigan will do right by you.

The poster, while cynical and sarcastic (traits I find endearing), is generally regarded in fairly high esteem around these parts. Hence, the level of our concern.


The poster is a nameless faceless individual typing in anonymity on the internet. How much credibility can he really have?


:roll: Ummm.... Eleventy billion credibility????


that's slightly less than my total student debt load

User avatar
mirpanda
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby mirpanda » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:36 pm

soundgardener wrote:This thread is like Waiting for Godot.


He won't come this evening. But he will tomorrow. I'd hang myself if my belt hadn't broken. Oh, well, I'll just come back tomorrow and be sure to bring a bit of rope in case he doesn't show...

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby los blancos » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:37 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
soundgardener wrote:This thread is like Waiting for Godot.


+1. Nice reference.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:41 pm

I don't get why you'd drop out your 2L year? You've already paid TWO years of tuition. If you walk away, you have absolutely nothing to show for it. Why wouldn't u finish and at least have some kind of options.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby Matthies » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:45 pm

blhoward2 wrote:I don't get why you'd drop out your 2L year? You've already paid TWO years of tuition. If you walk away, you have absolutely nothing to show for it. Why wouldn't u finish and at least have some kind of options.


Hell i've already graduated and taken the bar and I still have dreams about droping out.

User avatar
LizBennet
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:16 pm

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby LizBennet » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:46 pm

los blancos wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:
soundgardener wrote:This thread is like Waiting for Godot.


+1. Nice reference.


+1. Ha, maybe he can send a message through Pozzo.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:48 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:If OP is legit, then don't be surprised if he doesn't come around for a day or two. If I had just dropped out of a T9 school, the last thing I'd want to do is hang out on TLS to talk about it some more. I'd be at Ashley's with my head under the Old Rasputin tap.


I agree and I totally understand his frustration... but knowing how TLS works he should have waited to post such a downright alarmist and pessimistic thread. Oblomov had to know people would freak out and want details.

I understand giving him his space... but I sure hope he comes back soon to provide some more insight on WTF he is talking about.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby danquayle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:52 pm

JRMjr wrote:one person questions Michigans career services and then drops out of law school. from this we know:

-they probably struggled with the job hunt (and its clearly all UM's fault since the the schools job to get the student post-grad employment.)
-continuing your education (which OP prob sunk at least 3 semesters worth of $$ into) is useless.

Great points! another amusing but totally worthless TLS rant.


It is exceedingly difficult to get any job, especially the kind of job t-14 students expect, outside of OCI. Barring inborn connections, familial or otherwise, it can be nearly impossible. In this sense, Oblomov is accurately displaying his frustration.

Law school is a professional school. An expensive one. Schools are obliged to make a serious effort in the job hunt.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:Oblomov had to know people would freak out and want details.


I'm sure he did -- and I'm sure this is all intentional (if even true).

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:53 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Oblomov had to know people would freak out and want details.


I'm sure he did -- and I'm sure this is all intentional (if even true).


I'm having memories of the last "dropping out of lawl school, you guyz" thread.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby clintonius » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:54 pm

It was a pretty solid anti-Georgetown troll, if nothing else.

junelsat
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:06 pm

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby junelsat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:54 pm

blhoward2 wrote:I don't get why you'd drop out your 2L year? You've already paid TWO years of tuition. If you walk away, you have absolutely nothing to show for it. Why wouldn't u finish and at least have some kind of options.


Is that a flat-coat retriever in your picture?

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby Matthies » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:54 pm

danquayle wrote:
JRMjr wrote:one person questions Michigans career services and then drops out of law school. from this we know:

-they probably struggled with the job hunt (and its clearly all UM's fault since the the schools job to get the student post-grad employment.)
-continuing your education (which OP prob sunk at least 3 semesters worth of $$ into) is useless.

Great points! another amusing but totally worthless TLS rant.


It is exceedingly difficult to get any job, especially the kind of job t-14 students expect, outside of OCI. Barring inborn connections, familial or otherwise, it can be nearly impossible. In this sense, Oblomov is accurately displaying his frustration.

Law school is a professional school. An expensive one. Schools are obliged to make a serious effort in the job hunt.


:|

hooty86
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby hooty86 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:56 pm

-
Last edited by hooty86 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Avoid UMich

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:56 pm

junelsat wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:I don't get why you'd drop out your 2L year? You've already paid TWO years of tuition. If you walk away, you have absolutely nothing to show for it. Why wouldn't u finish and at least have some kind of options.


Is that a flat-coat retriever in your picture?


She's actually a mutt, part lab part spaniel. Or so I was told by the pet store where I paid $30 for her. My vet swears she is a pure-bred flat-coat retriever though.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearedman8 and 4 guests