Avoid UMich Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
holydonkey

Silver

Re: Avoid UMich

Post by holydonkey » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:56 pm

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:57 pm

holydonkey wrote:Image
:lol:

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:01 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:04 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Hey DerrickRose... do you like my avatar?

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:24 pm

I think the "moat of employment" is beginning to flood on both sides...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:24 pm

rockchalk86 wrote: Hey DerrickRose... do you like my avatar?
How dare you.

I'm a bit of a contradiction on that issue actually.

I'm a Rose-loving Bulls fan/Illini grad who is convinced that if not for shady recruitment dealings Rose would have ended up at Illinois/Calipari fanboy/Bill Self appreciator/Guy who won his pool when Kansas won it all.

So all in all, yeah, I think I do like your avatar.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:32 pm

Awesome post. :lol:

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:42 pm

Not sure if this is flame and I didn't read the whole thread, but today was my last day of classes and I have enjoyed my experience here. Career services has done right by me, but I understand the 2L class has had tougher times. A law degree is not a degree that you can expect 100% to pay dividends straight off the bat. I don't know broheim's personal situation, but employment is not just a responsibility of a school's career services office.

I haven't drunk the kool-aid completely and I have legitimate gripes about some things at Michigan, but I would take a disillusioned (and perhaps entitled) 2L's view with a grain of salt, especially since his/her class will bear the brunt of this wretched economy.

OP, if this isn't flame -- I hope things legitimately work out and if you want to message me privately to discuss your sitch, feel free to do so.

Best,
PK

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:46 pm

PKSebben wrote:Not sure if this is flame and I didn't read the whole thread, but today was my last day of classes and I have enjoyed my experience here. Career services has done right by me, but I understand the 2L class has had tougher times. A law degree is not a degree that you can expect 100% to pay dividends straight off the bat. I don't know broheim's personal situation, but employment is not just a responsibility of a school's career services office.

I haven't drunk the kool-aid completely and I have legitimate gripes about some things at Michigan, but I would take a disillusioned (and perhaps entitled) 2L's view with a grain of salt, especially since his/her class will bear the brunt of this wretched economy.

OP, if this isn't flame -- I hope things legitimately work out and if you want to message me privately to discuss your sitch, feel free to do so.

Best,
PK
What gripes?
Definitely agree about the "need to put some effort out there yourself; won't get a job handed to you on a plate," but about to make a decision myself, so just want to be fully-informed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:50 pm

parker09 wrote:
PKSebben wrote:Not sure if this is flame and I didn't read the whole thread, but today was my last day of classes and I have enjoyed my experience here. Career services has done right by me, but I understand the 2L class has had tougher times. A law degree is not a degree that you can expect 100% to pay dividends straight off the bat. I don't know broheim's personal situation, but employment is not just a responsibility of a school's career services office.

Best,
PK
What gripes?
Definitely agree about the "need to put some effort out there yourself; won't get a job handed to you on a plate," but about to make a decision myself, so just want to be fully-informed.
I've already made my decision to attend, but I'd also be interested in your gripes with your experience at Michigan. Thanks!

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:57 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote: Hey DerrickRose... do you like my avatar?
How dare you.

I'm a bit of a contradiction on that issue actually.

I'm a Rose-loving Bulls fan/Illini grad who is convinced that if not for shady recruitment dealings Rose would have ended up at Illinois/Calipari fanboy/Bill Self appreciator/Guy who won his pool when Kansas won it all.

So all in all, yeah, I think I do like your avatar.
That's awesome... and Calipari is a scumbag. I'm actually kind of a Bulls fan myself (Hinrich). Congrats on winning your pool by the way... KU was clearly the smart pick in 08. In 2010 though... FUCK! I'm still pissed. :x

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:07 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:
I've already made my decision to attend, but I'd also be interested in your gripes with your experience at Michigan. Thanks![/quote]

1. A lot of law students are dickheads. But I do like a lot of people at umich and I've had a great time. There have been some pretty uncool (and borderline cruel) things happening around here lately and I wish more law students would act like adults.

2. Sometimes the student affairs administration borks up things like registration. Registration can be a cluster fuck, but it's also run super smoothly during my time.

3. The construction project was a serious pain in my ass. It's going to be sweet when its constructed, but it's freaking loud right now.

4. The professors have been pretty accessible, but there is a air of aristocracy about them. A lot of law is about dismantling power structures and you will never find a more entrenched group of people than the law academy. So you see a lot of classes conflicting because professors only want to teach certain hours or have other obligations -- etc. I'd bet this isn't just a umich thing.

5. Seriously need more skills classes. I love the theory classes, but it isn't too much to ask to dig deeper than the substantive issues and see how things operate in the real world. This is probably related to point 4.

But otherwise my time here has been really awesome and I'm sad it's over. I've made great friends and feel I got my money's worth of an education. One thing I would tell people who are incoming is to experience the university as a whole rather than just the law school. There are tons of opportunities in the University proper, and it would be a shame to miss those. I feel that if you spend three years here and don't venture beyond the law school, you have missed a huge portion of what you are buying when you come to a place like Umich.

A lot of people dislike Ann Arbor, but other than the weather, I dig it. It's obviously not New York or Chicago but it's got enough to keep me entertained and it's cheap. A solid place to study law.

byunbee

Bronze

Post by byunbee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:13 pm

PKSebben wrote: 1. A lot of law students are dickheads. But I do like a lot of people at umich and I've had a great time. There have been some pretty uncool (and borderline cruel) things happening around here lately and I wish more law students would act like adults.
4. The professors have been pretty accessible, but there is a air of aristocracy about them. A lot of law is about dismantling power structures and you will never find a more entrenched group of people than the law academy. So you see a lot of classes conflicting because professors only want to teach certain hours or have other obligations -- etc. I'd bet this isn't just a umich thing.

5. Seriously need more skills classes. I love the theory classes, but it isn't too much to ask to dig deeper than the substantive issues and see how things operate in the real world. This is probably related to point 4.
It seems several of those gripes can apply to law schools in general. But it's reassuring to hear that you overall genuinely enjoyed your time at Michigan.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:19 pm

miamiman wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:ITT OP screams "FIRE" in a crowded room and everyone proceeds to freak the eff out. Also, who wants to start a pool on what page number this thread is going to hit before the OP responds?
The lifecycle of TLS:

(1) OP raises valid objections. (2) Those objections are incongruous with the collective opinion of this forum. (3) Forum members discredit OP and his objections. (4) Forum returns to state of equilibrium.

No comments on this? Obviously the "Moat of employment" was funny, but this was good too. Never have I seen TLS captured so accurately. Well done.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:04 pm

byunbee wrote:
PKSebben wrote: 1. A lot of law students are dickheads. But I do like a lot of people at umich and I've had a great time. There have been some pretty uncool (and borderline cruel) things happening around here lately and I wish more law students would act like adults.

It seems several of those gripes can apply to law schools in general. But it's reassuring to hear that you overall genuinely enjoyed your time at Michigan.
Yes, I agree. I'd meant to qualify my statements that way and appreciate you pointing that out. Outside of the balls-ass-cold weather in Ann Arbor, I'm not sure if any of those things are unique to Umich.

junelsat

New

Post by junelsat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:06 pm

PKSebben wrote:
1. A lot of law students are dickheads. But I do like a lot of people at umich and I've had a great time. There have been some pretty uncool (and borderline cruel) things happening around here lately and I wish more law students would act like adults.

Can you elaborate on this?

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:17 pm

junelsat wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

See generally the neurotic and toolish behavior on pre-law message boards, add to that large amount of stress, larger amounts of booze, unwise hookups with your section mates, a gossip level that rivals your worst high school experience and magnify that by ten first semester, divide that by 2 for second semester. 2L douche level lowers substantially and by 3L no one cares, including you. Its that same at every law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hooty86

New

Post by hooty86 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:18 pm

-
Last edited by hooty86 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:19 pm

Matthies wrote:
junelsat wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

See generally the neurotic and toolish behavior on pre-law message boards, add to that large amount of stress, larger amounts of booze, unwise hookups with your section mates, a gossip level that rivals your worst high school experience and magnify that by ten first semester, divide that by 2 for second semester. 2L douche level lowers substantially and by 3L no one cares, including you. Its that same at every law school.
I did the math, but ended up with a remainder of douche. :|

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:21 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
Matthies wrote:
junelsat wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

I did the math, but ended up with a remainder of douche. :|
Its well know that we all are in law school becuase we universially suck at math, if we where good at math we would be in Pharmacy school - tons of job offers and free drugs. Laywer have to buy thier own drugs.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:25 pm

Matthies wrote:Its well know that we all are in law school becuase we universially suck at math, if we where good at math we would be in Pharmacy school - tons of job offers and free drugs. Laywer have to buy thier own drugs.
There is no God.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawstudent85

New

Post by lawstudent85 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:26 pm

The first person to post is giving some foolish advice. I, for one, can say that I have had a firm job, even during my 1L summer and in arguably the third biggest market in the US. I only landed the job thanks to OCS' help. OCS will meet with you upon request, even to go over your resume. All my friends have firm jobs that wanted them, and that has do with the fact that Michigan students are some of the most highly recruited and OCS makes sure you are prepared for interviews and how to pick the right firms to bid on. OCS is helpful, and as others have said, OCS cannot do everything for you.

Also, the poster seems like a total poser. I know the student body well, especially through links to school senate, and nobody has dropped out of this law school.

Michigan will do right by you.

hooty86

New

Post by hooty86 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:28 pm

-
Last edited by hooty86 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:30 pm

lawstudent85 wrote:The first person to post is giving some foolish advice. I, for one, can say that I have had a firm job, even during my 1L summer and in arguably the third biggest market in the US. I only landed the job thanks to OCS' help. OCS will meet with you upon request, even to go over your resume. All my friends have firm jobs that wanted them, and that has do with the fact that Michigan students are some of the most highly recruited and OCS makes sure you are prepared for interviews and how to pick the right firms to bid on. OCS is helpful, and as others have said, OCS cannot do everything for you.

Also, the poster seems like a total poser. I know the student body well, especially through links to school senate, and nobody has dropped out of this law school.

The poster, while cynical and sarcastic (traits I find endearing), is generally regarded in fairly high esteem around these parts. Hence, the level of our concern.

junelsat

New

Post by junelsat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:33 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
lawstudent85 wrote:The first person to post is giving some foolish advice. I, for one, can say that I have had a firm job, even during my 1L summer and in arguably the third biggest market in the US. I only landed the job thanks to OCS' help. OCS will meet with you upon request, even to go over your resume. All my friends have firm jobs that wanted them, and that has do with the fact that Michigan students are some of the most highly recruited and OCS makes sure you are prepared for interviews and how to pick the right firms to bid on. OCS is helpful, and as others have said, OCS cannot do everything for you.

The poster, while cynical and sarcastic (traits I find endearing), is generally regarded in fairly high esteem around these parts. Hence, the level of our concern.
The poster is a nameless faceless individual typing in anonymity on the internet. How much credibility can he really have?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”