UVA w/Scholarship vs. Columbia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fortissimo

Re: UVA w/Scholarship vs. Columbia

Postby fortissimo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:12 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The financial decision is one that only you and your family are qualified to make. Without regard to finances, Columbia University School of Law will introduce you to another world culturally speaking. If, however, you are satisfied with the Univ. of Virginia, its culture, wish to remain in a sophisticated Southern fraternity oriented culture, then it would be foolish to pass up the full tuition scholarship. You may or may not respond well to NYC & the culture of the urban Northeastern US.
Assuming that you are male, NYC is the top city in the world for a single, straight male. Interestingly enough, this was a news release today as NYC replaced Chicago as the top American city. The point is that NYC offers a great social life for a highly educated, professional. Not fratastic, but it might be worth considering.

Are you an elaborate (or rather not so elaborate) flame?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:29 pm

No & neither. And you?
P.S. I just read your post in this thread. You have got to be kidding. Are you serious? Just look at the National Law Journal placement survey results & I think that your earlier anecdotal post in this thread will be totally discredited.
P.P.S. Might want to work on reading comprehension skills.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:12 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:No & neither. And you?
P.S. I just read your post in this thread. You have got to be kidding. Are you serious? Just look at the National Law Journal placement survey results & I think that your earlier anecdotal post in this thread will be totally discredited.
P.P.S. Might want to work on reading comprehension skills.

You have got to be ESL though. You use words Americans/native English speakers don't. The juxtaposition of your words makes it seem like you're using an online dictionary to translate from your native language.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:18 am

Once again all I can do is to suggest that you hone your reading comprehension skills.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:22 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Once again all I can do is to suggest that you hone your reading comprehension skills.

Your online dictionary sucks.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:40 am

@fortissimo:
Your posts in this thread have made some very interesting & unconventional arguments for your law school in Virginia especially since xenophobia is not typically associated with such strong, provincial fears of anything not Virginian. Without doubt the OP is rushing down to the post office to send in his deposit.
P.S. Enjoy Confederate Day!

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Sun May 16, 2010 11:09 am

Last edited by of Benito Cereno on Mon May 17, 2010 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Sun May 16, 2010 1:51 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
ReelectClayDavis wrote:
splinter23x wrote:I could be wrong but I think most Columbia students could go to UVA with aid if they wanted to, but they don't.

Unlikely that most Columbia admits could, since UVA maintains a median GPA that is higher than Columbia's 75th percentile GPA. Someone with ~3.7/173 will get into Columbia, but would hurt UVA's GPA median. UVA seems to just YP these people rather than pay $$ to boost only one median, which makes sense because they can then offer big bucks to the > median GPA > median LSAT candidates.

UVA has that median BECAUSE they are picking at students closed out of CCN.
If you look at the top 14 you'll see that lower ranked schools often have higher average gpas then the schools ranked above them; however this isn't a matter of choice on the part of uva or penn. the top 6 schools take a huge portion of the students with 3.5+/172+ gpas (hys taking the applicants with higher gpas from that group). what's left over after CCN have their pick is a batch of 170/171 applicants with higher gpas. uva and penn would love to more students with 173s and 174s but those students almost always choose to go to nyu or chicago. uva's high gpa median is a function of schools weighing lsat more than gpa and thus leaving uva basically unable to attract more than a few students with 170+ lsats. any student at ccn schools could have gotten into uva ED, yp is the only reason why they did not. If UVA suddenly were ranked 4th or 5th (and thus found itself able to attract t5-type students) it would suddenly have a much lower gpa median.

I'm not totally sure what you are arguing here. I agree that the vast majority (I don't like speaking in absolutes unless discussing something like physics) of Colmbia admits would get into UVA if they applied ED. But I don't think it's a given that the Columbia admits with a 3.5, 173 WL'ed at UVA would have received $$ if they sent in an ED form.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Sun May 16, 2010 2:04 pm

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon May 17, 2010 2:05 pm

splinter23x wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Where is the cutoff? Chicago? NYU? Michigan?

Good question. I'd take UVA for free over all three of them. I really think it's Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Columbia that are so good, so well-respected all over the world, that no one should ever pass them up. After those 4, scholarships can come into play. Just a personal opinion.

Worst Columbia troll ever.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon May 17, 2010 2:10 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
splinter23x wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:The difference in placement between UVA and CLS is not huge, and ITE it's more important than ever to try to minimize debt when it makes sense to do so.

I'd agree in some cases, but not when it comes to Columbia. Pretty much a guaranteed job, even in this economy, for life. Debt thus not an issue, in my opinion.

Bolded is so ridiculously untrue that I call flame.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:19 pm

I know some people have been saying ITE it's important to minimize debt. I actually think the opposite. ITE, BigLaw has dried up everywhere. If you want BigLaw, you should go to the absolute best school you can get into because nothing is guaranteed anymore. In this case, go to Columbia.

Also, IBR makes the debt a much lesser concern IMO. If you make BigLaw, who cares, you're gonna be rolling in it anyway. If you miss BigLaw, IBR cushions the fall to ~10% pay cut for 10/25 years. Thus, the risk in taking on debt is lower than people tend to make out on here.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”