Salary info for grads ten years out?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BoomBoom1986

Salary info for grads ten years out?

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:21 pm

This board is great for gauging what the grads of schools are making right out of the gate. However, does anyone know where I can find info on what the grads of certain schools are mkaing five, ten, fifteen years down the road? I'm looking at Davis and Hastings right now and realize my chances at BigLaw are poor. However, if I graduate at median, start out say making $60k (or whatever. If anyone has any info on what the median grads are making at those schools nowadays, then PLEASE pass it along), what will my salary look like down the road? Does anyone know the growth potential for grads who don't get BigLaw at respectable schools? Does experience, hard work, networking, etc, eventually lead to a nice salary and a betetr job? If I clerk for say a low level judge or work some mediocre government job or do public interest after I graduate, do these sort of opportunities and experiences open the door to mid-law firms who like experience? Could I do PI for ten years (and pay off my loans) and then get a job at a midlaw firm or for the government? Any and ALL input is much appreciated here people, though finding some chart that shows the salaries of grads ten years out would be badass :D

P.S. Does anyone know anything about JAG? How hard are the jobs to get, and what doors does it open long term. I met a Davis grad at an alumni reception they had at their Open House, and he did JAG for 20+ years, got his pension and then started working for a firm doing water law or something. He seemed to be doing REALLY well for himself. I know a lot of accountants like to work for the IRS, qualify for their benefits and then flee to firms for nice paydays (My grandfather and an uncle did this). Do government attorneys generally get to pull the same sort of stunts? Also, does the military usually repay loans for JAG corps? Thoughts on this?

Chiglaw

Re: Salary info for grads ten years out?

Postby Chiglaw » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:32 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:
P.S. Does anyone know anything about JAG? How hard are the jobs to get, and what doors does it open long term. I met a Davis grad at an alumni reception they had at their Open House, and he did JAG for 20+ years, got his pension and then started working for a firm doing water law or something. He seemed to be doing REALLY well for himself. I know a lot of accountants like to work for the IRS, qualify for their benefits and then flee to firms for nice paydays (My grandfather and an uncle did this). Do government attorneys generally get to pull the same sort of stunts? Also, does the military usually repay loans for JAG corps? Thoughts on this?

Read all of this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31543 Best source of JAG info on the internets.

Loan repayment varies by branch but Army does ~65k and Air Force is apparently changing theirs to match the Army's. Plus you can get a hefty retention bonus for staying on past 4 years.

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:45 pm

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:50 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:Does experience, hard work, networking, etc, eventually lead to a nice salary and a betetr job?

Absolutely. But that has nothing to do with what law school you graduated from.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:

JAG is extremely hard to get. You pretty much need to be at least top 10% in your class. JAG doesn't really care about WHAT law school you attended as much though, just how you placed in your class. They also look for prior military experience. It has also gotten a lot more competitive since the recession.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”