Wisconsin vs. Iowa

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Wisconsin vs. Iowa

Wisconsin (~160k)
46%
Iowa (~130k)
54%

Total votes: 13

Jerome

Bronze

Wisconsin vs. Iowa

Postby Jerome » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:09 pm

I have been accepted to both Iowa and Wisconsin at sticker. I have little natural preference one way or the other. I would like to practice public interest, preferably in a larger mid-western city, Denver/Boulder, or the Pacific Northwest (not necessarily immediately, maybe 5 years down the line).

My fiance is roughly five hours away by car either way.

So the question: is Wisconsin worth the extra 20-30k in debt?

MoS

Bronze

Re: Wisconsin vs. Iowa

Postby MoS » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:18 pm

If you want PI, both schools have about the same reputation. Wisconsin grads don't have to take the bar in Wisconsin, which goes pretty far when getting a job in Wisconsin. The problem with PI is the pay, if you are doing loans, it would probably be a better idea to go cheaper, though, I guess you are probably shooting for the IBR and the cancellation of loans afterward. You might check and see if GradPlus loans are forgiven, too. I think they are but I am not completely sure. Really if you want Denver or Bolder why didn't you try for U of Colorado. It would kick both Iowa and Wisconsin's tail in a competition for the jobs in that region. Denver might even do better than Iowa and Wisconsin for those positions in that area. Steering away from that, I think Wisconsin has better clinics which might help you figure out if PI is what you want and the experience may help when applying for jobs.

traehekat

Gold

Postby traehekat » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:11 pm

Wisconsin has the slightly better reputation in Chicago, but if you are going to be doing public interest then I don't really think it is worth the extra money. Wisconsin is also a TTT state anyway, in my opinion.

--ImageRemoved--

tycho_brahe

New

Postby tycho_brahe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:10 pm

Visit both, choose which one you like better. I think paying an extra $30k is worth it if you're going to be substantially happier in one place over the other. If you have visited and don't feel strongly about one or the other, I guess go with Iowa since it's cheaper. Though I thought Iowa's tuition was higher.

Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:17 pm

These are precisely the two schools I am debating between. I really preferred Iowa because I felt I fit in there better, and I felt the overall quality of the law school is a little better. I'd suggest you find out where you feel more comfortable going, and pick that school. They are comparable in most respects otherwise.

im_blue

Gold

Postby im_blue » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:28 pm

traehekat wrote:Wisconsin is also a TTT state anyway, in my opinion.

True, but less so when the other option is Iowa. :roll:

traehekat

Gold

Postby traehekat » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:30 pm

im_blue wrote:
traehekat wrote:Wisconsin is also a TTT state anyway, in my opinion.

True, but less so when the other option is Iowa. :roll:

Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana... they are all just... not Illinois.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�