Which school is best for NYC BigLaw?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which of the following schools is best for NYC BigLaw?

WUSTL
7%
GW
28%
Illinois
1%
BU
34%
Emory
12%
Minnesota
1%
Notre Dame
11%
Iowa
1%
Indiana
1%
BC
4%

Total votes: 135

PDaddy

Re: Best school in USNWR 20s for NYC BigLaw?

Postby PDaddy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:17 pm

GermX wrote:Yes but the idea is that the QUESTION SPECIFICALLY asks about the USNWR 20s. Which Fordham isn't a part of. He is NOT asking "Which is the best NYC school past the t-14?". He's asking, "among this list of schools, which is the best"?

It's that simple. Answer his fucking question and stop trolling for Fordturkey.

If OP really wanted to exclude Fordham, he should have said "best 'non-NY school' in the 20's...."

Fordham is still a "20's school" even though it fell in those bogus rankings. It is so clearly the choice that people can't see why OP would want to screw himself by going to a school outside of NY when he presumably can go to Fordham. If it's about rankings, that's another story. But it appears that OP doesn't want to admit that the rankings are dictating his attendance.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:20 pm

PDaddy wrote:
GermX wrote:Yes but the idea is that the QUESTION SPECIFICALLY asks about the USNWR 20s. Which Fordham isn't a part of. He is NOT asking "Which is the best NYC school past the t-14?". He's asking, "among this list of schools, which is the best"?

If OP really wanted to exclude Fordham, he should have said "best 'non-NY school' in the 20's...."

Fordham is still a "20's school" even though it fell in those bogus rankings. It is so clearly the choice that people can't see why OP would want to screw himself by going to a school outside of NY when he presumably can go to Fordham. If it's about rankings, that's another story. But it appears that OP doesn't want to admit that the rankings are dictating his attendance.

Geez, is everyone happy now?

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:37 pm

PDaddy wrote:

That's not what he's saying.

He's saying that although he isn't set on practicing in New York (which, right there, disqualifies Fordham) he wants to know what other school gives a chance at Big Law in NYC.

The answer of course is that the chances are slim anywhere outside the T14. My personal opinion is that you either go for NYC Biglaw all the way, or don't go at all. But his question isn't totally ridiculous.

Its only because he inartfully framed his question in terms of USNews rankings, and there was a preexisting anti-Fordham flame thread, that this thing went off the tracks.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:44 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

That's not what he's saying.

He's saying that although he isn't set on practicing in New York (which, right there, disqualifies Fordham) he wants to know what other school gives a chance at Big Law in NYC.

The answer of course is that the chances are slim anywhere outside the T14. My personal opinion is that you either go for NYC Biglaw all the way, or don't go at all. But his question isn't totally ridiculous.

Its only because he inartfully framed his question in terms of USNews rankings, and there was a preexisting anti-Fordham flame thread, that this thing went off the tracks.

I realize it's partially my fault. I changed the title--hopefully this thread can get back on track.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:01 am

DerrickRose wrote:

I agree with most of this. This poll could also make sense if someone got $$ at all these schools but none from Fordham (although IU-B and UIUC on the list would still be strange). The main issue was that the poll started with no context and seemed to reference a USNEWS 2010 cutoff as some sort of authority.

germ x wrote: It's like me asking, "what's better for my health, oranges or strawberries?" and you answering, "bananas". By doing so, you are NOT answering my question.

Personally I think you are looking at things to literally (Not to be condescending, but if you haven't read GTM yet, I would recommend it). If someone looking for advice on what to eat at lunch simply asks the question without context "Which salad dressing is healthier? Ranch or Caesar?" I would probably respond that using red wine vinegar and light olive oil would be a preferable option to both. Now if they add "Well, those are the only two dressings this restaurant has." , then it is a completely different situation and I'd feel more comfortable giving advice between those two options (I realize OP sort of did this later ITT).

That's the first time I have ever called "scoreboard" on the LSAT and I really hope it's the last. I understand where you are coming from with your argument, but refuting someone's point on a site where alot of people did really well on the LSAT by asking if they've taken the LSAT is probably not the best way to go.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:07 am

ArtVandelay wrote:
I realize it's partially my fault. I changed the title--hopefully this thread can get back on track.

Honestly, if you do extremely well at BC, BU, Emory, etc. you are going to have a shot at NYC biglaw. It would probably be best just to go where you would be happiest based on the thinking that it will lead to better performance and thus a better chance at NYC. That's probably preferable to stressing over who sends a couple percent more to that market.

EDIT: Although I would scratch IU-B, UIUC, Iowa, etc. off.

im_blue

Re: Which school is best for NYC BigLaw?

Postby im_blue » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:23 am

IMO you should narrow this choice down to BU or GW, and maybe ND in third place. Perhaps you could decide which of Boston or DC you like better as a second market, and go from there. If you're considering the West Coast, GW is your best option.

GermX

Re: Which school is best for NYC BigLaw?

Postby GermX » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:47 pm

I would say that GW is your best option here, followed by BU. You can get the job in NYC if you work for it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”