Which school is best for NYC BigLaw? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which of the following schools is best for NYC BigLaw?

WUSTL
7%
GW
28%
Illinois
1%
BU
34%
Emory
12%
Minnesota
1%
Notre Dame
11%
Iowa
1%
Indiana
1%
BC
4%

Total votes: 135

GermX

Silver

Re: Best school in USNWR 20s for NYC BigLaw?

Post by GermX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:10 pm

^ Because there is no flaw in his question. His question is basically this: Which of THESE schools is the best for NYC? So, you are picking the best among THAT group of schools, not every single school on the USNWR list. He specifically said, schools in the 20s, and even listed them all. Are you sure you took the LSAT?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:14 pm

Maybe the OP is WL'd at Fordham or is a splitter.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:21 pm

GermX wrote:^ Because there is no flaw in his question. His question is basically this: Which of THESE schools is the best for NYC? So, you are picking the best among THAT group of schools, not every single school on the USNWR list. He specifically said, schools in the 20s, and even listed them all. Are you sure you took the LSAT?
Yep. Got a 176. What did you get?

There is no logical flaw in OP's question, just like there is no logical flaw with my hyperbolic response or a poll asking which school ranked 33rd through 93 places best in Anchorage Alaska. But a blanket poll comparing numerous peer schools while leaving an obvious peer school that would be the answer to the perceived intent of the question without providing any additional context predictably and justifiably elicited the responses that it did.

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:26 pm

Let's not fight over who's better at arguing, boys and girls. You're not lawyers yet.

newyorklaw23

New

Post by newyorklaw23 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:36 pm

Based on what i've seen from hiring and what attorneys have told me, if you really want NYC biglaw and you're not going t14/t20ish then go to fordham. It's not fordham trolling, it's the reality of this job market.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:44 pm

While Fordham is superior than the options presented:

1. BC/BU
2. Emory/GW

BC/BU place about 1/3-1/4 of their class into NY
Emory/GW place about 1/5-1/4 of their class into NY

No other school comes close on that list.

*Fordham is still the credited response, however.

kaydish21

Bronze

Post by kaydish21 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:53 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
GermX wrote:^ Because there is no flaw in his question. His question is basically this: Which of THESE schools is the best for NYC? So, you are picking the best among THAT group of schools, not every single school on the USNWR list. He specifically said, schools in the 20s, and even listed them all. Are you sure you took the LSAT?

There is no logical flaw in OP's question, just like there is no logical flaw with my hyperbolic response or a poll asking which school ranked 33rd through 93 places best in Anchorage Alaska. But a blanket poll comparing numerous peer schools while leaving an obvious peer school that would be the answer to the perceived intent of the question without providing any additional context predictably and justifiably elicited the responses that it did.
Completely out of curiosity, and the fact that this foolish germ is just digging himself deeper and deeper, couldn't you argue that this question IS flawed and presents a false choice?

It's like a dialogue question with a mayor or someone advocating for 2 systems to resolve an issue when both of these tools only address effects of the issue.

Edited to add: the question also provides contradictory evidence in that WUSTL is ranked 19 and the question says only schools 20-30.
Last edited by kaydish21 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CCNP

New

Post by CCNP » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:53 pm

if you cannot get into a t14 school, settle for fordham (t40) which has the geo. adv.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:01 pm

Doesn't mean jack shit, buddy. Are you sure you want to be a lawyer? Because here are the facts:

- OP was asking one simple question: Which school, among the USNWR 20s, is the best for NYC. This is integral to his question--he is not asking which school in general, he is asking which school among these is the best for this market. Perhaps he wants to live in Boston for school, and go to NYC later on? He has his reasons. It's not your job to interpret them--you're just supposed to answer the question.

- Fordham is not an "obvious peer school"-- that is a matter of opinion and each is entitled to his own. Your opinion does not automatically lead to a flaw in the OP's reasoning.

- Let me re-iterate the final point: the question is this "Best school in USNWR 20s for NYC BigLaw?" and so the answer is LIMITED to the schools he provided simply because THAT is what the OP wanted answered. It's like me asking, "what's better for my health, oranges or strawberries?" and you answering, "bananas". By doing so, you are NOT answering my question.

If you were presented a question on the LSAT of this nature, you would know that the LSAT does not want you to assume any information outside what is given, unless you're specifically asked to do that, in which case you could say, "well, X school is the best among that list, assuming you don't want to go to Fordham"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:15 pm

GermX wrote:One thread is an indication of being over obsessive? Come on guys. Show me one thread Opera posts in that isn't some kind of overly optimistic praise for Fordham. I'm just saying, why would there be a need to keep doing that if Fordham could speak for itself. I'm not saying Fordham is a bad school. Just saying, every single thread, even one that specifically says NO to Fordham, nevertheless gets the same pro-Fordham folks trolling in it.
Out of curiosity, why are my opinions of such interest to you? If you provide useful information (links, statistics, etc) to bolster your assertions, I doubt that anyone will take issue with your viewpoints. However, the only thing you have alleged against Fordham is that the school is not currently ranked in the T30. The school has been underranked (considering its placement numbers) and this hasn't been a problem for employers. If it's a problem for you, don't attend.

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:03 pm

To reiterate, I AM NOT INTERESTED IN FORDHAM. I am not set on NYC, but would like it as an option, which is why I'm looking at schools outside of NYC that place well there. I get it about Fordham already, please answer the question I posted.

So far, the poll and the comments indicate two different rankings.

Poll: BU>GW>ND>Emory

Comments: BU>BC>GW/ND/Emory

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:21 pm

Fordham.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:30 pm

Have you considered Fordham?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:34 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:To reiterate, I AM NOT INTERESTED IN FORDHAM. I am not set on NYC, but would like it as an option, which is why I'm looking at schools outside of NYC that place well there. I get it about Fordham already, please answer the question I posted.

No school outside of the T14+Fordham places "well" into NYC. Sorry. A school can place the "best" out of the given list, but in this cast, best really means poor.

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:39 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:To reiterate, I AM NOT INTERESTED IN FORDHAM. I am not set on NYC, but would like it as an option, which is why I'm looking at schools outside of NYC that place well there. I get it about Fordham already, please answer the question I posted.

Its not your fault this thread has devolved. If you aren't set on NYC, Fordham isn't the right choice.

For NYC Biglaw, you're going to have to rock the hell out of any of the schools you listed, but for the east coast schools (BU, BC, GW) you're probably talking about top 10-15%.

At Illinois, I can tell you that you have to be an absolute superstar to get NYC Biglaw, and you won't have much choice of firms at OCI. I imagine its much the same at WUSTL, ND, and the like.

Have you actually got acceptances? Because scholarship money should be a big factor here.

evilgenius

Bronze

Post by evilgenius » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:45 pm

Why hasn't anyone talked about the blatant anti-WUSTL trolling here? WUSTL hasn't been in the 20's for a few years.

(not to stir the pot, but unlike WUSTL, Fordham has actually been in the 20's recently)

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:53 pm

evilgenius wrote:Why hasn't anyone talked about the blatant anti-WUSTL trolling here? WUSTL hasn't been in the 20's for a few years.

(not to stir the pot, but unlike WUSTL, Fordham has actually been in the 20's recently)
Because they clearly belong with the group behind them as opposed to the group in front of them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:54 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
evilgenius wrote:Why hasn't anyone talked about the blatant anti-WUSTL trolling here? WUSTL hasn't been in the 20's for a few years.

Because they clearly belong with the group behind them as opposed to the group in front of them.
Apparently much like Fordham.

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:55 pm

This thread is annoying. And embarrassing.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:57 pm

Out of the schools in that range, I still think Fordham would be your best bet, despite its recent fall. If Fordham were still in the 20's, would it be an option? Are you just going with rank?
Last edited by PDaddy on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:58 pm

Columbia.

(figured we can throw out any school we want, then this is the right answer)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Threads like this are the reason I sometimes hate this site. It's a pretty simple question and I don't see why people have taken a perceived ambiguity as license to berate each other for three pages.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:09 pm

JOThompson wrote:Threads like this are the reason I sometimes hate this site. It's a pretty simple question and I don't see why people have taken a perceived ambiguity as license to berate each other for three pages.
Agreed. OP, in my opinion, I'd say BU or BC are the best bet if you don't want to be in NYC but want to keep that door slightly open, given the options presented. Good luck.

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:09 pm

Always Credited wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:

Apparently much like Fordham.
I think we've made our point with that.

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:13 pm

Geez, if I knew the thread would degrade into such a cesspool of self-conscious, passive-aggressive validation I never would've started it.

Thank you to those who provided actual help and advice.

/thread

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”