Chicago vs Michigan

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Chicago or Michigan

Chicago
21%
Michigan
79%

Total votes: 58

Reinhardt

Chicago vs Michigan

Postby Reinhardt » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:27 pm

EDIT: Michigan it is! No, not because of the poll. I was just curious.
Last edited by Reinhardt on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

cardinalandgold

Re: Chicago ($$) vs Michigan ($$$$)

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:34 pm

Grats on the Darrow! Given your desire to be independently employed, I would go with Michigan. Full tuition is a lot of money, and graduating with just a small amount of debt would enable you to achieve your goal quicker. Though no matter which choice you go with, you'll be in a great position. Really no wrong choice here.

JCUGuy0428

Postby JCUGuy0428 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:37 pm

Really? You're bright enough to get the Darrow but you can't see the obvious choice? Esp. considering your career goals, it is UM hands down.

Case in point:
Poll results as of now:
Chicago - 0
UM - 11

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:39 pm

Have you tried negotiating with Chicago?

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:46 pm

Haha, now 18 in favor of Michigan and 0 for Chicago. I think my PNG may have skewed the results...but those are some big numbers to be saddled with. I have negotiated, and I don't expect my scholarship at Chicago to change at this point.

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:49 pm

Congrats on a great cycle, Chicago is my dream school. Hopefully I can end up there in a couple years once undegrad is done.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:52 pm

Reinhardt wrote:Haha, now 18 in favor of Michigan and 0 for Chicago. I think my PNG may have skewed the results...but those are some big numbers to be saddled with. I have negotiated, and I don't expect my scholarship at Chicago to change at this point.

Haha! I have to say that, although I voted for Michigan, I am surprised by the lopsidedness of the poll thus far. Perhaps your spreadsheet is to blame? :wink:

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:18 pm

CCn vs BMVP? Chicago's clerkship, academia, and firm placement? Debt means nothing over a 40 year career? I feel like the mood on TLS has definitely changed since I first joined in 2007. In any case I agree with you all.

Though I can't help but wonder how the poll would've turned out if I'd replaced the spreadsheet with Chicago's 2007 Vault 25 placement numbers.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:27 pm

Reinhardt wrote:CCn vs BMVP? Chicago's clerkship, academia, and firm placement? Debt means nothing over a 40 year career? I feel like the mood on TLS has definitely changed since I first joined in 2007. In any case I agree with you all.

Though I can't help but wonder how the poll would've turned out if I'd replaced the spreadsheet with Chicago's 2007 Vault 25 placement numbers.

LOL. I feel like the mood has changed overnight. :lol:

byunbee

Postby byunbee » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:30 pm

Reinhardt wrote:CCn vs BMVP? Chicago's clerkship, academia, and firm placement? Debt means nothing over a 40 year career? I feel like the mood on TLS has definitely changed since I first joined in 2007. In any case I agree with you all.

It would probably swing more than a few votes in Chicago's favor, but V25 isn't a goal for you is it?

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:31 pm

I went to Michigan, it's in a great city, places really well in Chicago and Cali, much less debt...I wouldn't hesitate to pick UM. Go Blue.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:35 pm

byunbee wrote:

It would probably swing more than a few votes in Chicago's favor, but V25 isn't a goal for you is it?

Like many people, I do have a small naive hope I'll find some magical biglaw firm with awesome quality of life and market pay. That would be a good outcome.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:38 pm

Michigan holds its own in clerkship and NLJ250 placement. Plus, the majority of its undergrad/grad school alums head to Chicago after they graduate. IMO, you can attain all of your goals and everything needed to achieve them (COA clerkship, few years in biglaw to get experience, setup solo practice) from Michigan and still become pretty wealthy if you settle in Chicago and have the Michigan brand name.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:39 pm

Reinhardt wrote:
byunbee wrote:

Like many people, I do have a small naive hope I'll find some magical biglaw firm with awesome quality of life and market pay. That would be a good outcome.

So, then definitely not V25...go to Michigan.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:40 pm

Reinhardt wrote: I feel like the mood on TLS has definitely changed since I first joined in 2007.

ITE!!!

byunbee

Postby byunbee » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:46 pm

Derrick, I know you're doing your best, but is there any way we can stop LeBron Thursday night?

byunbee

Postby byunbee » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:48 pm

Reinhardt wrote:
byunbee wrote:

Well that's kind of my small naive hope too. Chicago's definitely the better school to pursue that small naive hope. But...

Come on! Look at all that money Michigan's giving you!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”