Should I even go to Law School?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pinkzeppelin

Re: Should I even go to Law School?

Postby pinkzeppelin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:38 pm

step 1: Get a full-ride to a local TTT.
step 2: Barely go to classes and don't do hardly any work
step 3: do your own thing with your free time not actually doing law school

This way you have minimal risk...you can do your own thing while being with your GF in the US since you've extended your visa and you aren't paying anything to go to school...

If you can't get a full-ride, I'd say law school is a shitty choice for you.

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:13 pm

solid advice.

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:33 pm

bump

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:30 am

Last edited by fortissimo on Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IBThatGuy

Postby IBThatGuy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:39 am

kevin261186 wrote:No, I'm afraid of going to LS because it's my only way of staying in teh country legally, which is an awful reason to go. My current visa expires at the end of September and I would need to renew it, or go home. This is aproblem that most TLSers need not worry about, but I'm trying to go to school here, so it's my problem.

I already live with my gf, in our own apartment. Your post has some good advice in there, but I think you missed the main point of my OP.

Is it really such a bad reason, though? It sounds like you want to stay with your girlfriend. If you're definitely certain of that, then you probably need to stay in the US. If you wan to stay in the US, it sounds like you probably need to go to law school.

What's a good reason? Loving the prospect of practicing law or planning to change the world? Crazy amounts of money? Staying in the same country as the woman you love? (I'm in the blow-your-nose-at-money camp - sometimes - so love wins there).

By the way, I suppose it's worth asking where your family lives. If they live in Mexico or Canada, visiting could be reasonably easy. If they live in Uruguay or Madagascar, it's a bit tougher. I'd also wonder whether you would particularly dislike law school and practicing law (in some way). Put that way, we can be pretty blunt about it: If you don't think you'd be happy, don't do it. If you think you'd probably be happy, maybe go for it. If you think you might be happy, there are worse options.

Also: Is there any guilt wrapped up in this, regarding the use of your girlfriend's parents as connections? You probably don't need to feel too guilty about that. That's the way a lot of 'adult' affairs are conducted.

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:11 pm

IBThatGuy wrote:
kevin261186 wrote:No, I'm afraid of going to LS because it's my only way of staying in teh country legally, which is an awful reason to go. My current visa expires at the end of September and I would need to renew it, or go home. This is aproblem that most TLSers need not worry about, but I'm trying to go to school here, so it's my problem.

I already live with my gf, in our own apartment. Your post has some good advice in there, but I think you missed the main point of my OP.

Is it really such a bad reason, though? It sounds like you want to stay with your girlfriend. If you're definitely certain of that, then you probably need to stay in the US. If you wan to stay in the US, it sounds like you probably need to go to law school.

What's a good reason? Loving the prospect of practicing law or planning to change the world? Crazy amounts of money? Staying in the same country as the woman you love? (I'm in the blow-your-nose-at-money camp - sometimes - so love wins there).

By the way, I suppose it's worth asking where your family lives. If they live in Mexico or Canada, visiting could be reasonably easy. If they live in Uruguay or Madagascar, it's a bit tougher. I'd also wonder whether you would particularly dislike law school and practicing law (in some way). Put that way, we can be pretty blunt about it: If you don't think you'd be happy, don't do it. If you think you'd probably be happy, maybe go for it. If you think you might be happy, there are worse options.

Also: Is there any guilt wrapped up in this, regarding the use of your girlfriend's parents as connections? You probably don't need to feel too guilty about that. That's the way a lot of 'adult' affairs are conducted.

Thank you for this post, it hit on the exact issues giong around in my head.

As it stands my reason for going would be a hybrid of staying in the US with my girlfriend and the prospect of making a bunch of money.

I am from Scotland, and my family is broken and poor. my new 'family' here in the US is great, very generous and very welcoming. It is becoming clear to me that this is by far my 'beest' option and I will probably go for it.

On the guilt point, I think you have hit the nail on the head. I am from a poor family where work in dead-end jobs was the ONLY way. The concept of using connections to better your situation was not something that I was ever exposed to, but I now have connections that I am struggling to come to terms with.

If I go home it would mainly be for the nostalgia of a life that no longer exists. I have laid a solid foundation for a great start here and it would be dumb not to take advantage of it.

Thank you.

dlac

Postby dlac » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:59 am

pics or it didn't happen

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:22 am

kevin261186 wrote:Interesting you should mention the right eye thing...I'm blind in my right eye, I even wrote a diversity statement about it. What are the chances?

I could definitely get a job after LS with the connections I have, throw into the mix that my gf's mother told me not to worry about taking out loans for the tuition, I would just have to pay her back at a later date... This, however, just heaps the pressure on me to get married.

Your points sum up my pragmatic thoughts perfectly.

Here's the thing...

1) If you are pretty darn sure you are going to marry this girl, then I say LS might not be a bad idea, if you think you'd like it and want to go. Otherwise, this is not a good situation. What happens when the relationship fails? It will be very easy for her mother or you to get screwed on that loan, and since she is an attorney, I bet she won't be the one that comes out behind.

2) Is her mother decent looking? I say this because 9 times out of 10, they will show a lot of resemblance to their mothers when they get older, especially in the weight department.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:20 am

This thread is weird.

jamesc760

Postby jamesc760 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:44 pm

lostjake wrote:Is she hot? If so Marry+Go to law school =win

Is she not, sounds like her parents have $$$, if so

Marry+Go to law school =win

Can her parents get you a position after law school, sounds like they can!

Marry+Go to law school = win

I think I've made my point.

Most people here would give their right eye for having the connections that you now have. I'd say you're better set than 99% of the posters on this site.

I'd give my eyes, arms, and legs to be in his shoes. Doesn't matter if she hot or not.

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:50 am

My main concern is the apparent attrition of relationships during law school. Seems like most fail.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”